PDA

View Full Version : Completely confused about how I can skill up.

dhakkel
02-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Ok so I am a vulmare. I got to skill 41 doing the Diplomacy tutorial quest and all the things that leads to. Now I have been sent to Halgrad to do the civic tutorial, and all the guards there are at least 125+. So I ask in /ooc, and they suggest I "go back to the noob outpost, 50-75 there". So I run all the way back to Dahknarg, and lo and behold no one has any Civic Dip options at all.

So what are Vulmare supposed to do to skill up from 40-100? I found one (ONE!) skill 75 NPC in Halgrad, but lost quite quickly (you just can't predict that he won't feed you a single flattery :() and now I can't use him anymore.

So yeah, what am I supposed to do?

heretik
02-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Ok so I am a vulmare. I got to skill 41 doing the Diplomacy tutorial quest and all the things that leads to. Now I have been sent to Halgrad to do the civic tutorial, and all the guards there are at least 125+. So I ask in /ooc, and they suggest I "go back to the noob outpost, 50-75 there". So I run all the way back to Dahknarg, and lo and behold no one has any Civic Dip options at all.

So what are Vulmare supposed to do to skill up from 40-100? I found one (ONE!) skill 75 NPC in Halgrad, but lost quite quickly (you just can't predict that he won't feed you a single flattery :() and now I can't use him anymore.

So yeah, what am I supposed to do?

You are not only confused about what you are supposed to do, you are also confused about your identity and your surroundings.

To help you off: you are a Vulmane. You went to Halgarad. You might think this does not matter, but being a Vulmane myself, I think lowly of fellow Vulmane that don't honor their heritage.
But anyway, head to the north west. There's a small hamlet with a few huts. People with low diplomacy skill dwell there. Tell them "I am a Vulmane who came here via Halgarad. I am proud to be a Vulmane".
Good hunting.

dhakkel
02-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Um, I don't really get why you're typing like that, but ok.

I went NW before you posted and found the area I can only guess is the lesser giant starting zone? I skilled up to 60 there before getting far, far too bored to continue. I don't really get why these lowbie lesser giants are more willing than the lowbie Vulmane to parlay with me, but there you go.

I then went back to Halgrad and handed in all the stuff I got, and I got a bunch of crappy items that raise a stat by one point for one parlay. How are those helpful, exactly? And what the hell am I supposed to do for the next 40 skillpoints? Keep grinding the same 5 NPCs? Because Jesus that is getting old. As a Vulmane necro all of my cards are geared towards demand, meaning I can only parlay and win against guards, and even then only the Vulmane guards reliably. Any Lesser Giants I parlay against slam me with inspire and I have one 3-5 reuse card for inspire, meaning I lose every time.

So yeah, going from 42-60 took like 2 hours of grinding the same 5 guards over and over. Is that how diplomacy is? I liked how you saw instant gains with harvesting and crafting (harvesting giving 1-3 levels per node and crafting giving a visual boost on the exp bar), is diplomacy not like this at all? Sucks to hear, if not.

Therian
02-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Dhakkel, there are a few post-newbie diplomacy quests (but I know very little about Dahknarg, so don't know if there's any there).

The post-newbie civic stretch is currently a bit of a grind, but I found the best way to approach it is to think in terms of the levers. Give yourself a goal to get one of the civic levers active. [This is a lot easier to do with friends, but can be done solo.] Solo, you will need to do at least 30 (and usually a lot more) parleys to get a lever to activate (you need to get them to 40) but you feel a real sense of accomplishment and power once you do so. And because it's something of a 'race' to get the lever up there, the time tends to go by quickly - once you're done you can take advantage of whatever civic benefit you've brought up.

Check out the explanations of civic, levers and opposing levers for a little more info.

dhakkel
02-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I know all about levers, I was just wondering if there was a way to get a few more cards right now so I can at least chat to crafters and the like rather than JUST GUARDS.

I got one quest, but it requires me to parlay with the 100/150 crafters and guards in Halgarad. Not something I'd say is specifically just after noob. I got 3 "leave Dhaknarg" quests that I thought would lead to parlays, but they were all just "talk to these guys then the quest disappears" ones. One I found really odd was that I had to walk the path to Halgard and about half way talk to a guard captain who had some unhappy guards. I assumed I would have to cheer them up, but lo and behold as soon as I talk to the captain the quest is gone and no one has any diplo options. /bug?

edit: Also in those 2 hours I got the war stories lever from like 10 to 20.. I think someone was working in reverse :(.

troldan
02-12-2007, 10:43 AM
only way i have found is to grinf the soldiers and crafters with level 50 skill in the noob halagrad area for hours upon hours upon hours upon hours.
Diplomacy is literaly the most boring thing ever but for some reason i do it while watching tv.

do the same with crafting but at least crafting has some rewards to it.

i was in tursh area this weekend so i decided to do some grinding there and raised diplomay 12 points in around 4 hours. That wasn't bad, felt alot faster than halagrad.

Slyde_Rule
02-12-2007, 02:00 PM
I am also Vulmane.

As stated above, the newbie area west of Halgarad (Deroger's Post) has several level 50 NPC's that are good for Civic Diplomacy. I found 4, all grouped together in front of a building, that I cycled through. By the time you finish the 4th, you can go back and do #1 again, and repeat.

Two are soldiers (one is a female Vulmane), and I did the War Stories parlay. The other two are citizens and I did Support the People with them.

For the soldiers I used Vulmane Howl (Red +5), Resolution (Red +5), Snippet of Wisdom (Green +2), Loud Criticism (Blue +3), and Blunt Evaluation (+0, but gives 2 red and 1 blue).

For the citizens I replaced Vulmane Howl and Resolution with Aggressive Statement (Red +3) and Itemized Comparison (Green +3).

I leveled from 43-60+ here. I lose sometimes on Support the People if timers are bad, but overall won 90% with these decks.

These also raise Leth Nurae faction, where Vulmanes are KOS.

dhakkel
02-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Yep, that's pretty much exactly what I was doing (minus the non-guards, I just did a circle of 4 guards).

Sucks to hear there isn't anything else to do, but oh well.

Shendor
02-13-2007, 09:18 AM
I have experienced this very thing last night. I thought it was strange that after basically saving the city (through the beginning quests) that not one single npc in my city would have a civil discussion with me. Why? You would think they would be happy to talk (parley) with me.

This just seems wrong.

Absalon
02-13-2007, 02:13 PM
I have experienced this very thing last night. I thought it was strange that after basically saving the city (through the beginning quests) that not one single npc in my city would have a civil discussion with me. Why? You would think they would be happy to talk (parley) with me.

This just seems wrong.

What city? Civic diplomacy isn't implemented everywhere, nor will it be, though I would expect every starting city to have it.

ThreadKiller
02-13-2007, 02:25 PM
What city? Civic diplomacy isn't implemented everywhere, nor will it be, though I would expect every starting city to have it.

nope, Dahknarg doesn't have it.

Slyde_Rule
02-13-2007, 02:31 PM
nope, Dahknarg doesn't have it.

That's true. After going through the basics and a few newbie quests, Vulmane are sent to nearby Halgarad to continue their training. It's in Halgarad (and nearby Deroger's Post) where the newbies quests and civic diplomacy continue.

ThreadKiller
02-13-2007, 02:35 PM
yes, but it is a starter city, and no it doesn't have civil diplo.

Shendor
02-13-2007, 05:03 PM

I'm Vulmane. Upon completing the quests, I was sent to Halgarad, but my diplomacy only being level 44, I could not find anyone to parley with. So, I head back to my starting city thinking since I saved them from the rath of Gorak, they would all be happy to talk to me (quests make you feel like a local hero). Nope, not one. No civil diplomacy.

Hopefully it will be implemented soon as I feel like an outsider in my own town :(

Absalon
02-13-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm Vulmane. Upon completing the quests, I was sent to Halgarad, but my diplomacy only being level 44, I could not find anyone to parley with. So, I head back to my starting city thinking since I saved them from the rath of Gorak, they would all be happy to talk to me (quests make you feel like a local hero). Nope, not one. No civil diplomacy.

Hopefully it will be implemented soon as I feel like an outsider in my own town :(

You should be able to parley with people in Halgarad. Are you hailing NPCs and looking for the Civic Diplomacy option? Civic dip isn't quest driven. You parley with whomever you want. There is a tutorial quest though. Look for the civic diplomacy trainer in Halgarad. The quest isn't required, but it will teach you about civic diplomacy and give you a +11 noble rod.

I'm not sure of all the cities that are planned for civic dip, but I would guess that Dahknarg is on the list.

Rowain deWolf
02-14-2007, 05:50 AM
You should be able to parley with people in Halgarad. Are you hailing NPCs and looking for the Civic Diplomacy option? Civic dip isn't quest driven. You parley with whomever you want. There is a tutorial quest though. Look for the civic diplomacy trainer in Halgarad. The quest isn't required, but it will teach you about civic diplomacy and give you a +11 noble rod.

I tried the Quest but I have not found any Guard or Crafter with low enough Diplo toparley with them in Halgarad. The lowest I have seen was Dipl 125

So I thought I have to go back to Dregor and do the parleys there. Here I got the required Blackmail but the quest didn't count them.

I guess I have to get them from Halgarad people but I don't know how or more precisly from whom as anyone I have met is at least at 125 and I get the message that I don't have enough Diplo-skill for this parley.

Slyde_Rule
02-14-2007, 01:04 PM
...So I thought I have to go back to Dregor and do the parleys there. Here I got the required Blackmail but the quest didn't count them.

I guess I have to get them from Halgarad people...

I got the blackmail hearsay from the NPCs in Deroger's Post and it counted towards the Halgarad-given quest. Maybe your quest is bugged. It might help to abandon it and try again.

Absalon
02-14-2007, 01:11 PM
I tried the Quest but I have not found any Guard or Crafter with low enough Diplo toparley with them in Halgarad. The lowest I have seen was Dipl 125

So I thought I have to go back to Dregor and do the parleys there. Here I got the required Blackmail but the quest didn't count them.

I guess I have to get them from Halgarad people but I don't know how or more precisly from whom as anyone I have met is at least at 125 and I get the message that I don't have enough Diplo-skill for this parley.

The quest has actually been changed to require 2 of any type of hearsay, not just blackmail. If the civic trainer in Halgarad is still asking for Blackmail, please /bug it. You can talk to any NPC you want, though you are best off talking to level 50 NPCs and for those you probably need to go to Derogar's Post.

If you have 2 blackmail already, it may just be a display bug that the quest isn't updating. You can try turning the quest in, or as the other poster suggested, abandon and reaccept the quest and see if that works. If not, you can turn the quest in at any civic trainer in any city.

Just to be clear though, this quest isn't required for anything. If you already got the +11 noble rod from the trainer, you have all that you need apart from the information about civic diplomacy, which you can find easily enough at vgtact.com.

Rowain deWolf
02-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks Absalon and Slyde_Rule for your answers and hints :)

Rowain deWolf
02-15-2007, 04:18 AM
Update: When ran back to Halgarad as soon as I crossed the bridge (on one end stands Missha) the Quest updated and the 2 Blackmails were counted.

The Quest still asks for only those 2 Blackmails and not for more so I could hand it in.
The Quest speaks about gossiping with soldiers and about Blackmail specifically (Huskuvar(spelling?) Civic diplomacy).

Mrrx
02-15-2007, 07:11 PM
I documented what I did as a Vulmane Druid to win skill ups with various Derogar's Outpost NPC's in this blog post. (http://mrrx.wordpress.com/2007/02/15/how-to-parley-in-derogars-outpost/) Maybe that'll help you.

MrrX's Character Journal (http://mrrx.wordpress.com)

Tatanka
02-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Just to confirm, there was a dev post over at vgtact.com about the lack of diplomacy in Dahknarg.

http://www.vgtact.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=893

At 41 skill, I ended up grinding a bit on the 50 npcs in Derogar's Outpost to 50. But after learning that the NPCs there will not give presence increases, I located a couple 75 NPCs in Halgarad. The Warrior and Ranger trainers are 75 requiring 5 noble and are just up the hill from the diplomacy trainer. As a vulmane, I'm able to grind between the two of them. I'm getting a skill up every 5-6 successful parlays and 1 noble presence every 20-25.

Mrrx
02-16-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure who told you there's no presence increases in Derogar's Outpost. I've received at least 5 - 3 soldier, one academic, and one other. Got some soldier ones exclusively from the 50 skill NPC's as well.

MrrX's Character Journal (http://mrrx.wordpress.com)

Tatanka
02-16-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure who told you there's no presence increases in Derogar's Outpost. I've received at least 5 - 3 soldier, one academic, and one other. Got some soldier ones exclusively from the 50 skill NPC's as well.

This was wednesday night.

I know there was a post from Steve Williams over on vgtact that confirmed the bug. He mentioned that they would be turning on civic levers in Derogar's Outpost so that presence increases there would happen. There is no mention of it in the patch notes, so I'm pleased to hear I can move back over there for some easier parlay.