PDA

View Full Version : More Civic Diplomacy

thouartsimple
02-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Alright, I've tried doing some civic diplomacy... and I cannot win to save my life. I have twice as many 'points' to go through as my opponent (i.e. 14 to like 7... or 8). I am skill level 44 and I cannot for the life of me find anywhere to grind diplomacy. The soldiers in Tursh simply kick my butt on civic diplomacy to the point that I'm afraid one day I might be KOS... and I'm Thestran.

Any advice? This is rather discouraging... makes me just want to stick to just crafting. =\

Absalon
02-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Alright, I've tried doing some civic diplomacy... and I cannot win to save my life. I have twice as many 'points' to go through as my opponent (i.e. 14 to like 7... or 8). I am skill level 44 and I cannot for the life of me find anywhere to grind diplomacy. The soldiers in Tursh simply kick my butt on civic diplomacy to the point that I'm afraid one day I might be KOS... and I'm Thestran.

Any advice? This is rather discouraging... makes me just want to stick to just crafting. =\

You have twice as many points because you are parleying with level 75 NPCs. Because they are 31 points higher than you, they get a 6 point advantage in the parley. Find some level 50 NPCs. At skill 44 they should only have a 1 point advantage. When you reach 46, they will have no advantage.

If you are still having problems against soldiers in Tursh, try focusing on just one conversation type with them. Write down what cards they play so that you can develop a strategy. Likely you are using Snippet of Wisdom a lot and feeding them a lot of expression that they are then using against you.

If you still can't beat the soldiers, try a different station of NPC, or try a different town. Like players, NPCs have different expressions that they are strongest in. Maybe the NPCs in Tursh, or the soldiers at least, are just not a good match for your deck.

I don't have a listing for NPCs in Tursh, but here is a listing for Bordinar's Cleft:

http://www.vgtact.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1021

If you have trouble finding level 50 NPCs in Tursh, try asking in the diplomacy channel (/join dip).

thouartsimple
02-14-2007, 01:15 PM
You have twice as many points because you are parleying with level 75 NPCs. Because they are 31 points higher than you, they get a 6 point advantage in the parley. Find some level 50 NPCs. At skill 44 they should only have a 1 point advantage. When you reach 46, they will have no advantage.

If you are still having problems against soldiers in Tursh, try focusing on just one conversation type with them. Write down what cards they play so that you can develop a strategy. Likely you are using Snippet of Wisdom a lot and feeding them a lot of expression that they are then using against you.

If you still can't beat the soldiers, try a different station of NPC, or try a different town. Like players, NPCs have different expressions that they are strongest in. Maybe the NPCs in Tursh, or the soldiers at least, are just not a good match for your deck.

I don't have a listing for NPCs in Tursh, but here is a listing for Bordinar's Cleft:

http://www.vgtact.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1021

If you have trouble finding level 50 NPCs in Tursh, try asking in the diplomacy channel (/join dip).
Thanks for your help, I will try that. =)

Linusboarder
02-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks for your help, I will try that. =)

As a general strategy for civic diplomacy I have found that "Less is more" It usually takes me a while, but once i find a strategy for beating a civic diplomat I usually play a few cards at the beginning and end up listening for the rest of the parlay.

For example I found a Ca'ial Brael soldier who was 100 when i was 62, yet used only 3 cards to beat him in 2/3 categories (and used all 5 to beat him in the thrid). And i usually played those cards once each (maybe 2ce depending on the refresh). So remember that more cards are not always better. If you can get the influence on your side try just listening.

Remember "Less is more"

ChrisFish
02-14-2007, 02:47 PM
If you can get the influence on your side try just listening.

Lot of people seem to forget that part. There are strategic reasons for just passing your turn and not feeding influence. I think all of the cards in the beginning deck feed influence to your opponent.

There is 1 academic in Tanvu I can beat with 1 card in one convo type. Her deck gives her Demand that she can use, but she will use reason if you feed it to her. In the convo type with no Demand, I can play a comment and then just listen for 15 rounds. She can't build reason if I don't give it to her ;)

ThreadKiller
02-14-2007, 02:52 PM
I have 2 general strategies....overwhelm and starvation. I find that starvation works a little better than overwhelm. Score a couple of points without giving away much, and then steal back points.

Venjenz
02-15-2007, 05:00 PM
I have 2 general strategies....overwhelm and starvation. I find that starvation works a little better than overwhelm. Score a couple of points without giving away much, and then steal back points.
Yep yep. I agree.

I always start off trying to go the starvation route, I only overwhelm when my hand is forced, which isn't often. Listening is king for parlays.

ThreadKiller
02-15-2007, 05:13 PM
the urge to add more points when you have the ball on your side by a point is really hard. but once you figure out that the AI will always add points when it can, and you have a one point lead, and it doesn't score, it's because it can't....and me adding more points just gives them more ammunition to use against me......moral of the story, don't try to add points when you don't have to.

Linusboarder
02-15-2007, 06:52 PM
the urge to add more points when you have the ball on your side by a point is really hard. but once you figure out that the AI will always add points when it can, and you have a one point lead, and it doesn't score, it's because it can't....and me adding more points just gives them more ammunition to use against me......moral of the story, don't try to add points when you don't have to.

Also know who your going against. In Ca'ial Brael i go against a lot of wood elves and Raki. Wood elves like demand a lot so i always try to carry (at least at first) my card that takes away 2 of their demand. Raki like Flattery so i always try to use cards that don't feed them flattery.