PDA

View Full Version : Diplomacy -whats the point?

peppy13
02-28-2007, 06:57 AM
Is there some great reward for clicking card buttons over and over and over thousands of times? I know you can get area wide buffs for diplomacy but is that it? What do you get for all that time spent? Are there specfic dip quests in later levels that have rewards worht the time? Is there any ulitmate or meaningful purprose of diplomacy? Maybe I just dont understand the system. Is a diplomat doomed of monotonous, boring, buttong clicking over and over for no real point?

Parallax
02-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Is there some great reward for clicking card buttons over and over and over thousands of times? I know you can get area wide buffs for diplomacy but is that it? What do you get for all that time spent? Are there specfic dip quests in later levels that have rewards worht the time? Is there any ulitmate or meaningful purprose of diplomacy? Maybe I just dont understand the system. Is a diplomat doomed of monotonous, boring, buttong clicking over and over for no real point?

Yes there are rewards and quests, just like for adventuring and crafting; if this is what you call a purpose then yes Diplomacy has a purpose.

Khaunshar
03-01-2007, 06:12 AM
The buffs are alright, I usually set up a town for our guilds crafters when they are about to try a series of expensive combines. Also fun to buff newbies now and then.

The real purpose right now is getting to see the various questlines and stories. That may not be much to some, but I enjoy the lore behind them, and the best-written quests in the entire game are all diplomacy. For example the Neamsog Bunker quests with the gnomish agents is hilarious.

However, if you dont enjoy reading conversations and lore, I suppose right now there is little point beyond the titles and the free horse.

I am 209 skill atm and its still fun. I just dont grind it for 4h on end, I mix in an hour of diplomacy skilling and questing in between my adventuring and crafting.

Its also nice to be able to set up a town for your crafting btw, though other people often get pissed at that.

Lizard
03-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Is there some great reward for clicking card buttons over and over and over thousands of times?

Are there great rewards for clicking combat buttons over and over and over thousands of times? :)

Juk
03-01-2007, 09:44 PM
"The buffs are alright"

Can you imagine heading into an end-game major raid with all your meley with +hit, or some of the other fantastic buffs? Really, this is pretty amazing. In my view, this is an awesome way of preparing your raiders for some serious asskicking.

Other than that, as you said, the crafting buff and others are very handy. I think it's a great way to unwind in between bashing monster heads, or trying to figure out how you burned the crafting table down.

I'm looking forward to the Diplo-Raids, to see what will come of those.

Euphoria
03-01-2007, 11:52 PM
From what I gather the Market system is still in the works but thats where diplomats will be making money and lots of it. Just be patient is what I've been hearing and I'm hoping for the best. Also when you get to the higher end of Diplomacy you can start doing different kinds of writs which reap nice rewards worth the time you spent "clicking on cards". Civic Diplomacy is just a way to level yourself for right now, but again when you get closer to the content thats worth the $$$ you'll be happy you stuck with it.

Khaunshar
03-02-2007, 09:21 AM
With 1h duration centered around towns, and not all towns having all buffs available, I dont forsee much raid usage out of them.

Lizard
03-02-2007, 11:40 AM
With 1h duration centered around towns, and not all towns having all buffs available, I dont forsee much raid usage out of them.

I suspect, based on how games evolve, that when raiding become a main focus of the game and skill-500 diplomats are out there, 'raid buffs' WILL become available, things only high level (450+) diplos can activate, probably by working in concert to manipulate a handful of high-skill NPCs in a narrow time window.

Think of it as asking the high priests for a blessing (double in-combat regen rates for the whole party), the archmages for a powerful warding spell (some kind of huge bonus to resistance), the commanders of the guard to assign a detail of elite soldiers (reflected as a melee damage buff) and so on.

Bolero
03-05-2007, 06:28 AM

I thought that once Diplomacy gets up to the higher levels we would be rewarded with great benefits and riches.......apparently not? That's a shame, thought I would use it as a change from crafting items which I am yet to properly understand.

Evalissa
03-05-2007, 07:32 AM
I thought that once Diplomacy gets up to the higher levels we would be rewarded with great benefits and riches.......apparently not? That's a shame, thought I would use it as a change from crafting items which I am yet to properly understand.

Diplomacy is still very much unfinnished, currently there are not many great rewards, but the diplomacy team have grand idears for its evolution

stevethebear
03-05-2007, 01:57 PM
I would like to see player vs player diplomacy, allowing players to gamble or bet each other in games.

Bolero
03-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Diplomacy is still very much unfinnished, currently there are not many great rewards, but the diplomacy team have grand idears for its evolution

Ahhhhhhh I see. That's great news and I look forward to it developing further. I love it so far, lots of fun along with all other aspects of the game.

Canlocu
03-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I myself look forward to the crowns that were once talked about. These have slots that dipo gems could be placed in to them. Lets say "Gem of Dex", this would affect your adventuring sphere or "Gem of the land" that gave a + to Harvesting. Very neat idea that links it to the other spheres.

Plus one thing that would be nice and useful is if Dipo's were the only ones to unlock some high-end quest / raid chunks.

I been doing dipo quest when LFG or waiting on peep's. I have high hopes that it fulfills the void that one can feel when raiding is all that is left. Here's to the Dip's ;)

Playingforfun
03-06-2007, 03:55 AM
Aruspex has stated that when player cities are implemented diplomats will be essential to the day to day running of the city.

Additionally expect New Targonor and Ahgram to become major diplomacy centers. With major factions involved and wide ranging effects on adventuring and economy.

Also certain conversation types are blocked in certain cities because for example gossip in Leth Nurae litterally shuts down a huge number of the decks in the city. When they implement multiple decks for NPCs based on the conversation type then all conversation types will become available in all cities.

I would like to note though that an hour for a buff that you must travel to your adventuring destination then plow your way to the bottom of a dungeon, etc is way too short. Unless they are significantly lengthened or a way to significantly lengthen them is implemented (like pushing a lever to 80 doubles the time it lasts, etc) they will rarely if ever be used. Depending on how deep dungeons can get we will probably need at least a 5 hour duration to put these buffs to good use. It will stress the importance of not dieing in big encounters because even though you can be rezzed you will lose your diplo buffs.

Silvania
03-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Wasn't there going to be a change later where cities would be divided more into areas as well? I read or heard that somewhere but can't find link to it >.<

Like doing diplomacy near the crafting areas would create a buff for crafters instead of affecting the entire city as a whole.

How does the city wide diplomacy work anyhow? I see the civic quests of course, but how can you tell what the buff you work towards actually do? Doing /citystatus brings up a load of different levers, but thats all it does. Only shows how far each lever has progressed if any at all.

Diplo is all new to me, but its really interesting for sure and I think it can have some great potential : )

brusw68
03-06-2007, 02:27 PM
How does the city wide diplomacy work anyhow? I see the civic quests of course, but how can you tell what the buff you work towards actually do?
There is a fairly comprehensive article of Civic Diplomacy HERE (http://www.vgtact.com/wiki/index.php?title=Civic_Diplomacy), while another table listing all known results for various station/conversation types, arranged by sphere, can be found HERE (http://www.vgtact.com/wiki/index.php?title=Civic_Levers-Buffs).