PDA

View Full Version : Building Presence

Sufren
03-06-2007, 03:47 PM
So, I've read a few of the threads related to presence requirements being too high for quests and I'm now reaching that very point in my dip career. Is there a stat that can increase chance to get a presence point for winning a parley? Any other option for building presence faster?

Or, can I still build presence while parleying with lower lvl NPCs (i.e., a lvl 80 - 100 toon parleying against a lvl 50 or even 25 NPC)? Obviously I would not gain dip exp, but presence would be all I'm after as to not outdistance the quest lvl by much.

Absalon
03-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Presence increases based on your margin of victory, which most assume to mean that the less points the NPC scores, the more you will earn toward your next point of presence. You earn skill and presence every time you win a parley, no matter what level the NPC is, though the lower the NPC is the less skill you will earn.

Your best source of presence is from gear. Once you hit level 76, you can start parleying with level 125 NPCs and getting Significant (tier 2) info, which you can turn in for tier 2 gear. Chests and belts come from Arcana info and those generally have the largest presence values. Arcana comes mainly from Convince parleys.

Dasein
03-06-2007, 07:54 PM
At lower levels, building presence seems to be very difficult. Right now, I'm only level 60 or so in Diplomacy, and it seems all th quests require a presence of 25 or higher. (I'm questing mostly in the Tursh/Three Rivers/Veskal's Exchange area) While I have enough cash to buy presence items, this feels kind of cheap, as it means the rewards I get are not that valuable, since I will have already bought comprable items.

Civic diplomacy is proving very tedious, especially since there's only a few people I can beat. The level 50 civic diplomacy people I can beat solidly every single time, so there is no challenge. The level 75 ones beat me easily each time. Thus, I'm stuck grinding on what amounts to trivial encounters to slowly work up my presence in one area, just to be able to do one more real quest.

Absalon
03-06-2007, 09:09 PM
At lower levels, building presence seems to be very difficult. Right now, I'm only level 60 or so in Diplomacy, and it seems all th quests require a presence of 25 or higher. (I'm questing mostly in the Tursh/Three Rivers/Veskal's Exchange area) While I have enough cash to buy presence items, this feels kind of cheap, as it means the rewards I get are not that valuable, since I will have already bought comprable items.

Civic diplomacy is proving very tedious, especially since there's only a few people I can beat. The level 50 civic diplomacy people I can beat solidly every single time, so there is no challenge. The level 75 ones beat me easily each time. Thus, I'm stuck grinding on what amounts to trivial encounters to slowly work up my presence in one area, just to be able to do one more real quest.

There were some 12 presence quests added in a recent patch. Check the patch notes.

If you can beat 50s, you should be able to beat 75s. You may just need to move to a different area, try NPCs of a different station or maybe stick to one or two conversation types.

It's all about getting the info from the parleys so you can upgrade your gear. It can be a bit of a grind, yeah, but I find that having the quests as mini-goals along the way helps to mitigate that.

Brownshoe
03-12-2007, 04:49 AM
There were some 12 presence quests added in a recent patch. Check the patch notes.

I wasn't able to find much information on the "12 presence quests." What did I miss? Where do they start? Is there a link to help me on these? I just hit 60 dip tonight, and turned in two groups of information (trends and blackmail) to the relevant informant. I'm loathe to buy diplomacy gear instead of earning it through, well, diplomacy! It's definitely a grind at this level, as many other posters have noted...

EDIT:

OK, from the 2/27 patch notes:

DIPLOMACY NOTES
- A number of quests are now available that only require 12 presence in their parleys.
- Hathor Zhi - New 12 presence quest, “A Dying Man's Request”, available at Hathor Zhi Outpost.
- Hathor Zhi - New 12 presence quest, “The Centurion's Edict”, available at Hathor Zhi Outpost.
- Jalen’s Crossing - The 12 presence quest “Bring Him Home” is available in Jalen’s Crossing.
- Jalen’s Crossing - The 12 presence quest “Compiling Our History” is available in Jalen’s Crossing.
- Martok - New 12 presence quest, “A Regular Stake Out”, available at Martok Docks.
- Martok - New 12 presence quest, “Increasing Fares”, available at Martok Docks.
- Raia Village - The 12 presence quest “Mislead the Envoy” is available in Raia Village.
- Raia Village - New 12 presence quest, “Dropping in on Razi Kordiyeh”, available at Raia Village.
- Tahean’s Vengeance - New 12 presence quest, “Vault of ‘Heroes’”, available at Tahean's Vengeance.
- Themnwar’s Shield – The 12 presence quest “Foul Gypsies” is available at Themnwar’s Shield.
- Three Rivers - The 12 presence quest “The Dam” is available in Three Rivers.

vivasector
03-13-2007, 09:36 AM

I started in Dark elf city with my main goal beeing getting as many cards as I could get my hands on. I now have a deck that no npc can beat. Sure presence and all that is ok, But if you don,t have a good selection of cards it can be very difficult to win.

Brownshoe
03-13-2007, 11:18 AM
I started in Dark elf city with my main goal beeing getting as many cards as I could get my hands on. I now have a deck that no npc can beat. Sure presence and all that is ok, But if you don,t have a good selection of cards it can be very difficult to win.

My card selections haven't really expanded very much (Tursh). Is Dark Elf city different?

BTW, I tried to do the three new presence quests that are located in Thestra. Did the one from Tahean's Vengeance, and Themnvar's Shield, but there's a problem with The Dam from Three Rivers: it tells you to go to Themnvar's and talk to Bafi Quicksilver, but when I got there, there was no Bafi Quicksilver. Oddly enough, my little direction indicator told me I was standing right next to where the npc should be, but nothing to click or see. I petitioned, heard nothing, and will probably bug tonight. Got a couple of +20 vests from the other two quests, if I remember correctly.

I would note, since someone in game had this question/problem, that each "12 presence" quest doesn't require you to have a 12 presence (combined with gear) in only one category: it requires you to have 12 presence for the npc's you'll need to talk to, who can be from any station. For example, the Gypsies quest in Themnvar's requires you to talk to npcs on the dam, but you can talk to soldiers or domestics, but for each you'll need the appropriate level of 12. I note this because I tried to get my presence above 12 in each category before doing the presence quests...but I could've done the quests and gotten the rewards just by being more selective with whom I spoke with to satisfy the quest requirements.

Also, I got about 1 presence point for each 6-7 parleys with a level 50 NPC as a level 55 or so diplomat. I've now moved on to the level 75 npc's in Tursh to see if my presence or rewards changes materially...

I'm off to Qalia tomorrow just to try out the other "12 presence" quests and get the rewards.

Absalon
03-13-2007, 06:54 PM
My card selections haven't really expanded very much (Tursh). Is Dark Elf city different?

BTW, I tried to do the three new presence quests that are located in Thestra. Did the one from Tahean's Vengeance, and Themnvar's Shield, but there's a problem with The Dam from Three Rivers: it tells you to go to Themnvar's and talk to Bafi Quicksilver, but when I got there, there was no Bafi Quicksilver. Oddly enough, my little direction indicator told me I was standing right next to where the npc should be, but nothing to click or see. I petitioned, heard nothing, and will probably bug tonight. Got a couple of +20 vests from the other two quests, if I remember correctly.

Perhaps she was above or below you? The compass marker doesn't account for the Z axis.

Also, I got about 1 presence point for each 6-7 parleys with a level 50 NPC as a level 55 or so diplomat. I've now moved on to the level 75 npc's in Tursh to see if my presence or rewards changes materially...

Your margin of victory will play a big part in how many parleys you need to win for each point of presence, especially in Tursh. You will get skill ups faster against the 75s, but watch your presence. If you can't find a way to beat the 75s soundly, you may want to go back to the 50s for a bit or try a different town. So far Tursh is the only place I've seen where it can take more than 12 wins to get a point of presence (which is bugged).

Brownshoe
03-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Perhaps she was above or below you? The compass marker doesn't account for the Z axis.

CSR responded: it was a bug. Bafi was there last night (required 12 academic presence). Interestingly, I talked with someone else looking for another npc at Themnvar's last night who described exactly the same bug, but for a different toon.

I did the 'switching beer barrels' (not the exact title) quest last night in Three Rivers, and got another card (I had my choice of two, I took the flattery repeal (3 flattery for 6 demand). Woot!

Brownshoe
03-15-2007, 03:51 PM
So, a follow-up here as I've done most of the quests that they put in that require (only) level 12 presence in various categories.

ABSOLUTELY DO THESE QUESTS when you hit 50+ in your main town, and save yourself some grinding while you increase your presence (as well as see new towns and places!). I was KoS in some of the cities, but the quests npcs are not KoS (so, you have to watch for roaming NPC's while you're sneaking around). But (and this isn't a spoiler, I don't think) the rewards basically get you increases of 20-30 presence point in each of Domestic, Crafter, Clergy, Academic, Noble, and Soldier, which in turn should allow me to do a bunch of other requires 25 presence quests that I've bumped into in my travels, some of which also have presence and card rewards.

DuckOfDeath
03-15-2007, 06:17 PM
You want presence, get some clothes.

http://gucomics.com/archives/view.php?cdate=20070314

Brownshoe
03-16-2007, 10:54 AM
You want presence, get some clothes.

http://gucomics.com/archives/view.php?cdate=20070314

Funny...

Ran into yet another person in-game last night who was asking about where to turn in information, and he had no idea about the level 12 presence quests. I told him about a couple near to his position (he was in BC, I sent him to do The Dam in Three Rivers and the gossip one in Themnvar's), and he asked if I worked for Sigil, since "I knew so much." That last part was particularly amusing, but sortof sad. I mean, I read the patch notes, and went and did the quests since they seemed to solve the problem I was having...

They should add these presence quests to the end of the diplomacy noob quest line, so people know to try them out. Otherwise, frankly, they're a pain to find, even when you know the name of the quest and the city from the patch notes...

brusw68
03-16-2007, 04:24 PM
This game kind of reminds me of EQ1 in the "good" old days in that respect. Little hand holding, no auto pointers to where to go next. You have to interact (or least listen to) the community of gamers to learn all the ins and outs. The game pretty much requires you interact with others if, for no other reason, to learn the scope of the game.

Personally, I like it. It makes the game world feel bigger and more epic. WoW, by contrast, kept my interest for about 3 weeks.

Tempyst
03-19-2007, 08:20 PM
I tried to do the Martok Port quest Increasing the Fares last night but that required some 45 Soldier Presence and hmm some level of domestic presence I didn't have either. A friend and I were just discussing today how difficult it seems to get the diplomacy sphere going..sure I can, as some folks have pointed out, purchase gear but that has a very unsatisfying feel to it.

I hadn't realized I would need to grind the level 50 civics to earn some presence. I'll give that a go tonight if I have some time to kill

:confused:

DuckOfDeath
03-20-2007, 06:40 PM
I tried to do the Martok Port quest Increasing the Fares last night but that required some 45 Soldier Presence and hmm some level of domestic presence I didn't have either. A friend and I were just discussing today how difficult it seems to get the diplomacy sphere going..sure I can, as some folks have pointed out, purchase gear but that has a very unsatisfying feel to it.

I hadn't realized I would need to grind the level 50 civics to earn some presence. I'll give that a go tonight if I have some time to kill

:confused:

I didnt mean to buy gear, just that you should get some. Best way to get gear is do civic diplomacy. Even the tier 2 stuff from 125 civic diplomacy NPCs can be turned in for some pretty good presence gear.