PDA

View Full Version : Severe Diplo Bug With New Patch

Lizard
03-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Card refresh is no longer visible. You do not know if a card is available or how much longer it has until it is. You have to click randomly to see if you can play a card, and you can't make decisions based on time until it refreshes.

Tino
03-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Card refresh is no longer visible. You do not know if a card is available or how much longer it has until it is. You have to click randomly to see if you can play a card, and you can't make decisions based on time until it refreshes.

I am seeing the same issue.

Parallax
03-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Yep same for me. Fortunatly I know the hands I generally use well enough that it isnt that much of a problem just grinding...but it definetly needs to get fixed asap.

Leatherneck
03-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Yah, I posted this in the Performance and Technical Issues (http://silkyvenom.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14021) forum this morning, so hopefully someone will see it somewhere and it can get fixed.

PlaneCrazy
03-07-2007, 04:38 PM

Yep, I noticed the same thing this morning. Like the poster above, I knew my "A" hand deck well enough to win the parleys I did for a quest.

Makes you wonder what sort of testing they actually do? This isn't something that is obscure and hard to detect.

Darkmoore
03-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Same problem here.

BTW, this was NOT on TestServer.

Benji
03-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Same problem here.

BTW, this was NOT on TestServer.

A couple of people I talked to said that it WAS on test, and someone posted on VGtact that they had reported it last night.

It's merely a factor of not having it on the test server long enough, although it kind of makes you wonder what the dev is doing if they are changing Diplomacy things and cant be bothered to run ONE PARLEY to find obvious bugs.

Aruspex - SGO
03-07-2007, 06:29 PM
A couple of people I talked to said that it WAS on test, and someone posted on VGtact that they had reported it last night.

It's merely a factor of not having it on the test server long enough, although it kind of makes you wonder what the dev is doing if they are changing Diplomacy things and cant be bothered to run ONE PARLEY to find obvious bugs.

We're aware of this issue.

And yes, this issue cropped up on a very short timescale to Live. Now that we have Test Server you'll see this MUCH less.

We're still investigating exactly what the specific issue is.

o
A

astenniall
03-07-2007, 06:53 PM

That would be me and I believe I also stated we didn't find it until late last night (i.e. like 4 hours before patch or in other words too late to do anything about it).

The game is still new and folks are screaming for stuff to get fixed now etc. Once the game has been stabilized and is down to monthly patches or so these kind of issues will be less likely.

Melios
03-08-2007, 11:05 PM
It seems they got it fixed on test server at least.

Bolero
03-09-2007, 02:04 AM

It's still easy enough to parley, if you click on the card and it says not available then you know why.

It hasn't stopped me winning some.

Le rooster
03-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved yet? I've got my diplomats on hold until there's a fix.

rooster

Lizard
03-09-2007, 11:58 AM
It's still easy enough to parley, if you click on the card and it says not available then you know why.

Sure, but if you're strategizing based on whether a card is about to refresh or still has a few turns to go, it's annoying. Likewise, clicking on several cards to see which are currently available and then picking the one you want is a pain.

It doesn't make diplomacy unplayable, esp. against opponents you know you can beat by rote, but it is irksome and so obvious that it's a sign of poor testing practices.

Absalon
03-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved yet? I've got my diplomats on hold until there's a fix.

rooster

The fix has been applied to the test server. Not sure when it will hit the live servers.

ThreadKiller
03-09-2007, 01:02 PM
It's still amazes me that something like this could slip through....it's not like the fundamental game changed in any way, yet the code got borked......can someone say spaghetti code?

Lizard
03-09-2007, 01:05 PM
It's still amazes me that something like this could slip through....it's not like the fundamental game changed in any way, yet the code got borked......can someone say spaghetti code?

The through of the complexity of the VG (or any other MMORPG code), written over five years in many languages by dozens of devs, many of whom are probably not with the company anymore, all of whom will have their own coding styles, gives the me the shivering heebie jeebies. (And I speak as a master of the Job Security Design Methodology).

ThreadKiller
03-09-2007, 01:07 PM
The through of the complexity of the VG (or any other MMORPG code), written over five years in many languages by dozens of devs, many of whom are probably not with the company anymore, all of whom will have their own coding styles, gives the me the shivering heebie jeebies. (And I speak as a master of the Job Security Design Methodology).

I hear ya' brother.....maybe it was one of those "I wonder what this flag does?" kind of thing.

Absalon
03-09-2007, 01:13 PM

The issue was found late the night before the patch on the test server, but by then it was too late to fix it before it went live. Future patches will have more time on the test server, so should be caught sooner and fixed before going live.

The issue isn't related to bad coding, but simply to art issues, which Update #1 had a lot of apparently.

We've had several people on this all day today, and my understanding is that it's related to some art issues we're having.

While Diplomacy may have "died" in your eyes, we know CPR, and have a defibrillator standing by. :P

o
A

ThreadKiller
03-09-2007, 01:18 PM
The issue was found late the night before the patch on the test server, but by then it was too late to fix it before it went live. Future patches will have more time on the test server, so should be caught sooner and fixed before going live.

The issue isn't related to bad coding, but simply to art issues, which Update #1 had a lot of apparently.

hmm, don't see that there was any art changes to the diplo card game....would find this a little hard to believe.....and any methodology that suggests one day on a test server is enough is just as hard to believe.

Absalon
03-09-2007, 01:35 PM
hmm, don't see that there was any art changes to the diplo card game....would find this a little hard to believe.....and any methodology that suggests one day on a test server is enough is just as hard to believe.

I didn't say there were changes to diplo art. There was an art issue. Could simply be that something got deleted by mistake.

The only reason the update spent so little time on test before going live is because of the timing. Update #1 was originally scheduled to go live on Mar 6th. The test server wasn't even available until Feb 28th.

Le rooster
03-10-2007, 03:26 PM
The fix has been applied to the test server. Not sure when it will hit the live servers.

Thanks for the feedback.

rooster