PDA

View Full Version : Computer Games Magazine & Massive Shut Down

Labyrrinth
03-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Gamasutra is reporting that the 2nd oldest PC focused gaming publication, Computer Games Magazine, and it’s sister, MMO focused gaming magazine, Massive, are shutting down. From the article; (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13122) “Independent sources, both via an un-named publisher dealing with the magazines and from industry messageboard QT3, have indicated to Gamasutra that U.S. print publication Computer Games Magazine and its sister MMO-centric Massive magazine have apparently been shut down by publisher TheGlobe.com.”

Bregalad
03-14-2007, 12:01 PM
No tears shed from me. I used to read it, and watched it turn into a cesspool of hypocrisy. My decision to never ever pick up an issue of that magazine again came when I emailed a letter concerning one especially obnoxious column that basically labelled all MMO players (and EQ1 players in particular) as antisocial fruitcakes. To my surprise, the letter was published, but for no other reason than to ridicule my last name. (I am Russian). Not a word of comment on the subject of the letter itself. I made sure that publication never saw another penny from me again. I still regularly read PC Gamer.

Glad to see enough people shared my opinion about CGM to drive it out of business.

Kelmino
03-14-2007, 12:42 PM
eh CGM recently changed their name to "games for windows" or something similar to that. I had a free subscription for it for probably 6 more months, and honestly for the past 6 months I may have opened it a few times. It used o be good yes, but as of late its just been blah

RandomPhate
03-14-2007, 01:10 PM
eh CGM recently changed their name to "games for windows" or something similar to that. I had a free subscription for it for probably 6 more months, and honestly for the past 6 months I may have opened it a few times. It used o be good yes, but as of late its just been blah

CGM used to be one of my favorite reads, but their quality dropped off a LOT over the past several years. Not surprised to see this at all.

[VA]Froren
03-14-2007, 03:11 PM

you're thinking of Computer Gaming World that turned into Games for Windows which is owned by Ziff Davis and is still a reputable gaming magazine, Computer Gaming Magazine is a totally different publication

as for printed gaming material in general..it will all eventually dissapear as all of the gamers are usually computer people get their gaming news on the world wide internets not from hardcopies

Bregalad
03-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Froren;175979']you're thinking of Computer Gaming World that turned into Games for Windows which is owned by Ziff Davis and is still a reputable gaming magazine, Computer Gaming Magazine is a totally different publication

as for printed gaming material in general..it will all eventually dissapear as all of the gamers are usually computer people get their gaming news on the world wide internets not from hardcopies
I can shove a magazine in my bag or my pocket and then read it about anywhere. I do not need a power outlet or internet connection, I do not worry about it getting stolen or mangled up. A magazine spread gives me a 17"-widescreen monitor worth of graphics/info at a glance. It's going to be a long while till mobile devices approach the ubiquity, ruggedness and convenience of a hardcopy.

Navid
03-14-2007, 05:21 PM
and a new one shall take its place, but then agian what gamer reads a magazine? we are all internet junkies.

QforQ
03-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Personally, I read a lot of gaming magazines. I have a subscription to about 5 different ones...well now to about 3. I really liked MASSIVE Magazine as it was a really good MMO mag and covered the MMO field pretty good. It's much better than the alternative, Massive Online Gamer, which is basically WoW Magazine.

I'm disappointed that this good MMO mag has gone down in flames, while the crappy one gets to stay in business.

Zippalbit
03-14-2007, 11:40 PM
I subscribed to CGM when VG beta keys were being offered by it. Upon discovering that they had full page rear cover adds for IGE, I promptly canceled my subscription. In my opinion, any MMO or Gaming magazine that offers advertising for such a company is not looking out for it's audiance.

QforQ
03-15-2007, 12:55 AM
I subscribed to CGM when VG beta keys were being offered by it. Upon discovering that they had full page rear cover adds for IGE, I promptly canceled my subscription. In my opinion, any MMO or Gaming magazine that offers advertising for such a company is not looking out for it's audiance.

A lot of gaming related magazines have those ads in them. It's too bad, but it's probably not even handled by the gaming part of the company. It's probably the marketing part of the company. They're a business too.

Vyvian Vycious
03-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Honestly, we only subscribed to one magazine that was computer or game related. When the subscription was up, we never renewed it. You can find all of this information on the net and quite frankly, magazines are rather static. Online, you find information and usually a place where others are providing immediate feedback.

I don't like hearing of a business going out, but certain topics just aren't going to hold for long in the form of a magazine. For those who do enjoy these types of magazines, I would suggest doing what you can to show them you really like their material and refer others to buy that magazine.

Lochar
03-15-2007, 01:21 PM
A lot of gaming related magazines have those ads in them. It's too bad, but it's probably not even handled by the gaming part of the company. It's probably the marketing part of the company. They're a business too.

PC Gamer doesnt and they took an early stance on gold farming and decided it may hurt their revenue but didnt want it advertised.

I only got the CGM mag for VG beta as well and since that ad I never looked at it again.

I browsed the MMO one but seem mostly to cover WoW and while nothing against that game I would have rather had more articles about the new ones coming out instead of a paragraph devoted to them. Or hints for all MMO's not just warcraft.

Aidon
03-15-2007, 02:46 PM
I can shove a magazine in my bag or my pocket and then read it about anywhere. I do not need a power outlet or internet connection, I do not worry about it getting stolen or mangled up. A magazine spread gives me a 17"-widescreen monitor worth of graphics/info at a glance. It's going to be a long while till mobile devices approach the ubiquity, ruggedness and convenience of a hardcopy.

I hope not...the tech exists today to provide folks with an 8.5 x11 flexible LCD which can be rolled.

I look forward to the day when I can roll up my laptop and slip it into my inside coatpocket.

Algy
03-16-2007, 12:08 PM

This is wrong. Computor Gaming World became Games for Windows Magazine. This magazine CGM used to be called CG&VE (Computor Games and Video Entertaiment)

Bregalad
03-16-2007, 02:18 PM
This magazine CGM used to be called CG&VE (Computor Games and Video Entertaiment)
Was never called that. Prior name was Computer Games Strategy Plus, and before that even, Strategy Plus. I started reading it when it was already called CGSP - I understand it used to cover board games, but shifted focus to discussing strategy in computer games exclusively. Later, it shifted focus again, from primarily discussing strategies in existing games to the same review/preview/columns + a smidgeon of game tips as PCG and CGW. During that shift they popmpously touted themselves as a 'mature gamer's magazine, unlike those other publications targeted at hyperactive testosterone-laden kids', and how they would attract readers with 'wealth of information, not size of boobs on the cover.' Next month, they proceeded to print a few self-congratulatory letters from readers praising 'how refreshing it is to finally have a magazine an adult will not be ashamed seen reading due to various big-breasted females and gun-toting maniacs on the cover'. The irony? That very issue featured a decidely triple-D female from Tribes on front cover and a Quake marine holding a gun the size of Texas on the back. Wealth of information? Eerily identical to whatever other two PC gaming mags printed that month.

It went downhill from that. I am only surprised it took them this long to fizzle out. I guess IGE ads kept them afloat.

AsheMan
03-16-2007, 07:37 PM
They've been sending me free magazines for the last couple years. I don't even know how I managed to start receiving them, but I never complained. I guess this means I won't be getting them for much longer.

Mentin
03-19-2007, 06:03 AM

That is true.

However, the 'read on the go' market is unlikely to be big enough to keep any magazine alive. The main volume of magazine readers are likely to migrate to the Internet.

Of course magazines can publish on the Internet instead, but the challenge there is getting paid since so much free content is available.

jimm0thy
03-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Just got my new issue of Massive in the mail today , they changed their name to MMO Games , and are still taking subs.