PDA

View Full Version : Skill up in presence

Kopuz
03-19-2007, 07:57 PM
I am currently working on skilling up my noble presence. I am at 121 diplomacy and I have 0 noble presence. I but some boots on that gives me 7 in order to talk to some NPC's that require 5 noble to parley. I have beat this NPC over 20 times and haven't got 1 noble presence skill up. Same is happening for crafting presence. Anyone have any idea why this could be?

brusw68
03-20-2007, 12:14 PM
According to the lead designer at Sigil for Diplomacy, you should be getting a Presence skill up no slower than 1 in 12. If you did this all in one sitting, he would recommend you log off and log back in. You should also /bug it, because this is an older bug, one they thought they fixed.

If that does not solve the problem, time to take a step back and look at the basics. Such as confirming you ARE talking to a noble NPC. Just having noble boots on will not give you skill, you have to parley with someone who has a Noble Presence requirement, even if the requirements is only 5.

Level does not matter. If you can parley with the faction, you can get Presence increases.

If you are sure you aren't bugged, and you are sure you are talking to a Noble NPC, then try a different Noble NPC, maybe even a different town. You don't give race so I can't tell if this is valid/easy for you, but I did my initial grind for Noble Presence on some Raki Noble in Ca'ial Brael (sp?). If you ask any guard for the non-elf Diplomacy trainer, you can find three Noble Raki with skill 50-75 you can grind on.

So basically, the reasons you wouldn't be getting presence increases after 20 parleys is a) you are bugged, b) the NPC is bugged, or c) user error. There is no in game reason for a period that long without a skill up.

Hachima
03-20-2007, 12:44 PM
According to the lead designer at Sigil for Diplomacy, you should be getting a Presence skill up no slower than 1 in 12. If you did this all in one sitting, he would recommend you log off and log back in. You should also /bug it, because this is an older bug, one they thought they fixed.

If that does not solve the problem, time to take a step back and look at the basics. Such as confirming you ARE talking to a noble NPC. Just having noble boots on will not give you skill, you have to parley with someone who has a Noble Presence requirement, even if the requirements is only 5.

Level does not matter. If you can parley with the faction, you can get Presence increases.

If you are sure you aren't bugged, and you are sure you are talking to a Noble NPC, then try a different Noble NPC, maybe even a different town. You don't give race so I can't tell if this is valid/easy for you, but I did my initial grind for Noble Presence on some Raki Noble in Ca'ial Brael (sp?). If you ask any guard for the non-elf Diplomacy trainer, you can find three Noble Raki with skill 50-75 you can grind on.

So basically, the reasons you wouldn't be getting presence increases after 20 parleys is a) you are bugged, b) the NPC is bugged, or c) user error. There is no in game reason for a period that long without a skill up.

I know Kopuz spent several hours on the Noble Raki in CB and didn't get a single skill up. So he may in fact be bugged.

Kopuz
03-20-2007, 02:54 PM
yeah I am an Orc Shaman. After giving it 4 plus hours I decided to give it a break for the day. Which was hard for me because I live by the saying "Never give up, never surrender". I decided to go do something I cant stand in any game. Crafting!!!!!

But the reason I bring that up is cause I went back to my home town of Martok. I found some crafting presence there and defeated teh NPC in about 6-7 parleys and still no presence skill up. So I must be bugged. I would also petition the bug, but I have had open petitions for ever 2 weeks with no response so have given up on the effectiveness o fthat system. I will /bug it again tonight a few times with as much detail as possible.

Btw thank you very very very very much for your imput. I was thinking along the same lines as I was bugged, but I didnt know nearly as much as you do about how the diplo system and mechanics work. So again thank you very much for you feedback.

Absalon
03-20-2007, 03:31 PM
yeah I am an Orc Shaman. After giving it 4 plus hours I decided to give it a break for the day. Which was hard for me because I live by the saying "Never give up, never surrender". I decided to go do something I cant stand in any game. Crafting!!!!!

But the reason I bring that up is cause I went back to my home town of Martok. I found some crafting presence there and defeated teh NPC in about 6-7 parleys and still no presence skill up. So I must be bugged. I would also petition the bug, but I have had open petitions for ever 2 weeks with no response so have given up on the effectiveness o fthat system. I will /bug it again tonight a few times with as much detail as possible.

Btw thank you very very very very much for your imput. I was thinking along the same lines as I was bugged, but I didnt know nearly as much as you do about how the diplo system and mechanics work. So again thank you very much for you feedback.

I'm gonna ask a silly question, just in case :)

How are you checking your presence increases? Are you looking at your character screen or are you just looking at the chat log? If you are just looking at your chat log maybe you have that message type turned off.

6-7 parleys will not be enough to get a point of presence if you aren't winning convincingly, so I would try the crafters a bit more. If you are skill 121, you must have been getting presence increases before in other stations. Any idea what changed?

Kopuz
03-21-2007, 05:54 AM
The only presence I worked on before was Soldier and that worked fine. I current have 0 noble presence. I have some shoes that give me 7. I have wont over 20ish parleys and not one single skill up. And some were very convincing wins.

Absalon
03-21-2007, 11:43 AM
The only presence I worked on before was Soldier and that worked fine. I current have 0 noble presence. I have some shoes that give me 7. I have wont over 20ish parleys and not one single skill up. And some were very convincing wins.

Hmm, I'm not sure then. Try doing nobles in a different city. Maybe it's just those NPCs that are bugged.

brusw68
03-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure then. Try doing nobles in a different city. Maybe it's just those NPCs that are bugged.

The nobles you were testing were in Martok, yes?

I am actually non-KoS in Martok (crafting in TG is the bomb) and have grinded (ground?) nearly 20 points of presence on soldiers there, so I know I can get presence in martok. If you point me in the direction of the nobles, I will test them and see if I can confirm your results. That might help narrorw it down if it is you or the NPCs.

Also, what serve are you on? The test will be more meaningful if we are both on Shidreth.

Absalon
03-21-2007, 09:47 PM
The nobles you were testing were in Martok, yes?

I am actually non-KoS in Martok (crafting in TG is the bomb) and have grinded (ground?) nearly 20 points of presence on soldiers there, so I know I can get presence in martok. If you point me in the direction of the nobles, I will test them and see if I can confirm your results. That might help narrorw it down if it is you or the NPCs.

Also, what serve are you on? The test will be more meaningful if we are both on Shidreth.

I wasn't the one having the problem :)

I think the OP was parleying with nobles in CB and crafters in Martok, but he said he only did 6-7 parleys with the crafters, which isn't really a big enough sample size to make a determination whether it is working or not.

I've seen academics and clergy in Tursh take over 20 wins to get a point of presence, so it's possible that the nobles in CB are bugged. I've only done crafters in CB, but I've had no problems with those.

brusw68
03-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Currently stuck in HZ for Prestige building, and not wanting to run from there because it is a dangerous trek for a lvl 8 adventurer to get to. As soon as I finish that leg (probably Friday) I will test Martok Crafters and CB Nobles. But I am thinking the user is bugged because CB Nobles are the way Tanvu Diplomats usually get their Noble faction for the only post-newbie quest available in the city from CB, so I think if CB Nobles stopped giving faction on a recent patch, we would be hearing about it from a lot of people at once.

Kopuz
03-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I was working on noble presence on the Riki trainer in CB. Also on the crafter in CB. No skill ups in over 20ish attempts each. Then I said this is enough, I cant sink time into this anymore. So I headed back to Martok to work on some lame crafting. So I figured what the heck I might as well try for some skill up on this guys. I tried 6-10 times on 2 different NPC's and nothing. So I am starting to figure that I am bugged. I have not found the desire to try again. I will attempt to try again tonight if i find the time or tomorrow. Thanks again for all the feed back. Helping with my decision making process a lot.

brusw68
03-24-2007, 12:37 PM
So, as promised, I went and hit the three city/stations you were having trouble with:

Noble/CB = Presence increase after 5 parleys
Crafter/CB = Presence increase after 7 parleys
Crafter/Martok = No skill ups in 20 parleys, but I massively screwed some up and even lost a couple in there. Logged out, logged back in later, presence increase after 6 parleys.

So, alas, I am afraid you are bugged.