PDA

View Full Version : Diplomacy Dualing suggestion

Akiri
03-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Ok, I'm new to VG and received a 10 day buddy key from a friend. I thought I'd give the game a try; hey it's a free pass for 10 days.:D

So far I'm enjoying the game, dispite the bugs (which I've only seen one concerning resource nodes not being minable). I love the character detail (though races could stand to have more hair styles) and the environments look nice. Performance can be a bit slow at times, but hey it's not any worse then Ironforge was back in the early days of World of Warcraft.

I'm traditionally a hack and slash kind of player and have no problem grinding on mobs to make levels. So I was surprised to find myself so caught up with Diplomacy that into my third day I really haven't killed much of anything and have been running around talking to NPC's. My skill is only 45 so far, so I'm just getting into the Civic stuff. I keep trying to get away from it to go do some adventuring or even crafting, but that old problem of "just one more time" syndrome keeps me going into the early hours of the morning.

On to the suggestion now that I've bored you with the personal details. After doing diplomacy I thought to myself, "Hey wouldn't it be neat if I could parley with another player". A sort of Diplomatic dual as it were. The game certainly seems to support such a concept and could actually resolve some people's problems with NPC's being to predictable.

What point would there be to doing this? Well, what point is there for two adventuring classes to dual? It's subjective; everyone will have a different opinion of why they want to dual or why they don't. I'm only presenting an idea that takes Diplomacy and it's parley system and pits players against each other. Strategy would be different because skill (game stat not player skill) only matters for how many cards you have to choose from before the parley. The key to player vs. player parleys would be how those cards are used. Something the current NPC system tries to do, but falls a bit short of achieving just because of the inherent problems of programs and how smart and situational they can be. I kind of like the NPC system to be a little dumb and predictable. ;)

So there you have it. Diplomatic dualing.

Thoughts, suggestions, hate it, love it, post below.

Narninian
03-20-2007, 02:56 PM
The sigil team has posted that they do plan on adding pvp elements to the Diplomacy sphere. The most basic would be dueling, but later they may be adding other things such as Political Parties which would require groups of diplomats furthering one party at the expense of another. Maybe there might be some competition for Continental titles as well? (one per server or something). But I'm pretty sure I read the first 'pvp' diplomacy they would add is dueling.

Akiri
03-20-2007, 03:01 PM
All of that sounds great. I hope they get a majority of the bugs killed so they can start adding in all this new content.

Should of known that the devs would be all over this already. No such thing as a completely original idea.