PDA

View Full Version : Red 5 Studios & the Golden Ticket

Labyrrinth
04-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Mark Kern, the former team lead for World of Warcraft, left Blizzard some time ago to form his own MMO development company, Red 5 Studios. And being a follower of games, particularly MMO’s, I’ve been keeping an eye on Red 5 Studios, waiting for any news on where they were heading, what they were doing, who they may be recruiting, and of course what kind of game may be in the works. I didn’t check the Red 5 Studios site often, mainly because it was fairly static and news was all but non-existent. Then one day, as I was looking around, I noticed a strange change. Their website now had a login page. However; there was no way to actually login. There was no registration link and no contact information. Trying to “guess” what the login and password might be, to gain entry, proved futile.

And now I know why. Read up (http://www.red5studios.com/about/goldenticket) on why they changed their site layout and password protected it. If this is any indication of what Red 5 Studios may have in store for the gaming industry, it looks like we may be in for some interesting times.

givionte
04-13-2007, 01:38 PM
I can't wait to see what Red 5 has in store for us. They have assembled an all-star cast of developers, including the designers of World of Warcraft and many other major MMO's. They got some good funding from Gamecock and other investors, so it will be interesting to see what their first project is going to be. Their goal is to become the Pixar Studios of video gaming, so they are thinking big, which is interesting. Sometime this year I would imagine their first project will be officially announced.

Duzhal
04-13-2007, 01:40 PM
http://www.red5studios.com/protect

Dachannien
04-13-2007, 01:45 PM
TLDR, but I'm just happy that there's finally a developer that can cure my fever by providing more cowbell.

Flame0001
04-13-2007, 06:06 PM
http://www.red5studios.com/protect

Looks like there's /b/tards in Red 5 as well.

Dliw
04-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Weren't they the ones who licensed the offset engine?

interesting way to recruite... Can't wait to see what they come up with!

Strike Anywhere
04-15-2007, 12:26 AM
Weren't they the ones who licensed the offset engine?

interesting way to recruite... Can't wait to see what they come up with!

Ya they were. I'm not a fan of WoW at all, but I've been following that Project Offset for years now. When they aquired rights for that engine with an MMO in mind I was hooked and have been checking in on their site quite often. Hopefully we get to see something game related soon! I'm personally hoping for something futuristic. After Imperator was canceled I haven't found anything that's gotten me too interested in that category of MMO's.

Korvix
04-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Looks like there's /b/tards in Red 5 as well.

b&

Shelby
04-15-2007, 11:05 PM
While at GDC I had the very cool opportunity to chat with the Red 5 Developers. They've got some pretty cool things in store. Setting up their overseas asian office was just the begining. Also some of the concept art for their upcoming game was very inspiring.

Dliw
04-16-2007, 03:15 PM
While at GDC I had the very cool opportunity to chat with the Red 5 Developers. They've got some pretty cool things in store. Setting up their overseas asian office was just the begining. Also some of the concept art for their upcoming game was very inspiring.

oh please, do elaborate :) Tell us what you can!

Might we find that concept art somewhere?