PDA

View Full Version : Howard Stern on Virginia Tech and Video Games

Labyrrinth
04-19-2007, 01:50 PM
After hearing repeatedly that video games are the cause of all that is evil in the world, it’s refreshing to actually have a few people take a stand and call BS on this tiresome finger pointing. Though I’m not a staunch fan of Howard Stern, I do applaud his outspokenness. After hearing that yet another celebrity, Dr. Phil, was blaming (http://www.gamestooge.com/2007/04/16/dr-phil-suggests-video-games-to-blame-for-virginia-tech-shootings/) the VT massacre on video games, he finally had enough and in not so many words, said as much.

I’ll paraphrase “Video Games are not to blame” Howard, of course, was a bit more direct and I’ll let you read for yourselves (http://www.gamestooge.com/2007/04/18/howard-stern-bashes-dr-phil-and-video-gamevirginia-tech-connection/) his exact terminology.

Another controversial figure that is calling out those that want to blame it all on games is Rush Limbaugh. In response to someone, who (surprise, surprise) blamed the VT tragedy on video games, had this to say:

CALLER: What I really think is an issue is video violence, video gaming. I will guarantee you, I'll bet my last dollar in my pocket, that this shooter will be found to have been a compulsive video gamer, and when people are living that kind of lifestyle -- and college students do this a lot.
RUSH: (sigh) Let's say you're right. Not every video gamer goes out and murders 33 people on the college campus though. There's more to this than that. We can find all kinds of societal problems and ills, but the fact of the matter is that whatever you would look at as a bad influence -- video games as you mentioned -- it may desensitize people, but it doesn't turn everybody into mass murderers.

For the full article, head over here (http://kotaku.com/gaming/rush-limbaugh/limbaugh-games-arent-to-blame-253132.php).

conquest
04-19-2007, 02:08 PM
After hearing repeatedly that video games are the cause of all that is evil in the world, it’s refreshing to actually have a few people take a stand and call BS on this tiresome finger pointing. Though I’m not a staunch fan of Howard Stern, I do applaud his outspokenness. After hearing that yet another celebrity, Dr. Phil, was blaming (http://www.gamestooge.com/2007/04/16/dr-phil-suggests-video-games-to-blame-for-virginia-tech-shootings/) the VT massacre on video games, he finally had enough and in not so many words, said as much.

I’ll paraphrase “Video Games are not to blame” Howard, of course, was a bit more direct and I’ll let you read for yourselves (http://www.gamestooge.com/2007/04/18/howard-stern-bashes-dr-phil-and-video-gamevirginia-tech-connection/) his exact terminology.

Another controversial figure that is calling out those that want to blame it all on games is Rush Limbaugh. In response to someone, who (surprise, surprise) blamed the VT tragedy on video games, had this to say:

For the full article, head over here (http://kotaku.com/gaming/rush-limbaugh/limbaugh-games-arent-to-blame-253132.php).

Well ive never really believed video games make people violent. You can only push someone so far till they wont take it anymore. Most shooting like this dont occur because there is something wrong with the person doing it (in some cases maybe). They occur because people in general are ass holes and deserve to be shot.

Remember what goes around comes around. So next time you cut someone off in traffic, tease someone for the way they look, or way they dress, just think you might be next ;).

GnomerBreltik
04-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Really makes old Jack Thompson look like buttpaste when you get two folks of such diversity speaking out against the blame on video games. Rush makes some great points, and Howard is just speaking the truth.

Sicca
04-19-2007, 02:48 PM
When i was younger, people would say that watching action movies and power rangers, makes people go out and do stupid shit.

It is only human nature to find the nearest thing to blame, or atleast "something" to blame.

Fong SaiYuk
04-19-2007, 03:08 PM
If people gave any thought at all to human nature, they would see, all through history there have been nut cases, violent people, and violent societies, way before, video games, before violent movies, before comic books, I mean the list of what or who is to blame could go on forever.

Navid
04-19-2007, 03:59 PM
People are too scared to look inside themselves for the "beast", becuase they know that they will find it there.

Zahrim
04-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Really makes old Jack Thompson look like buttpaste when you get two folks of such diversity speaking out against the blame on video games. Rush makes some great points, and Howard is just speaking the truth.

I can't believe Rush and Stern actually have the same side for once...this has to be the sign of the end of days.

I play violent games and listen to death metal, but guess what, I work in the engineering field and have signed up for a March of Dimes walk and hold doors open for women. Any second though and I could fly off the handle...nope, that's just gas, nm.

Korvix
04-19-2007, 05:23 PM
My favorite response to the "video games made them do it!"

"well, a lot of ppl use to play Pacman back in the day, but you don't see them running around in dark mazes eating magic pellets and fruits chasing ghosts around do ya?"

Savik
04-19-2007, 05:33 PM
I can certainly imagine that video games might give people more imagination or thoughts on more elaborate ways to kill people. However video games do not inspire or cause people to kill people any more than things such as television, hypnosis, drinking, or reading books would cause people to kill people. As previously stated, people have been killing each other ever since there were more than 2 people.

Fozzik
04-19-2007, 05:37 PM
The Devil In Me, by John Wesley Harding -

I shot John F.Kennedy in Dallas in 63
They blamed it on Oswald carelessly
But it was the devil in me
Put Jesus on the cross, I put a gag on the Boss
I kissed him on the cheek so he couldn't speak
But that was the devil in me
It was the devil in me
It's the devil in me that's unlevelling me
Put it down to the devil in me

I made you breakfast, put poisoned sheets on the bed
I made you cry, couldda made you laugh instead
But that was the devil in me
So I killed you off, I tore your famous brown fur coat
I laughed at your cough, ignored your suicide note
But that was the devil in me.....

I blew up the bus, I started World War III
Hijacked the plane with Qadaffi, blew the hostages free
That was the devil in me
I'm sponsored by a company that I don't believe in
I advertise their things for cash, that ain't deceiving
No, that's just the devil in me
It was the devil in me....

I gave you acid rain
I polluted the sea
I covered your thoughts up
With graffiti
You can call me by my real name
Or you can call me humanity
Because it all seems just like human behavior
It all seems like human behavior to me

It was the devil in me
It was the devil in me
Well it's the devil in me makes me do these things
Devil in me that makes me sing
Devil in me gave you a wedding ring

Sepp
04-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Oh no! I agree with Rush on something... aaahhhh....

jonyak
04-19-2007, 09:44 PM

"well, a lot of ppl use to play Pacman back in the day, but you don't see them running around in dark mazes eating magic pellets and fruits chasing ghosts around do ya?"

its funny because I have seen rave kids use that quote about the rave scene.

RaekwonThaChef
04-20-2007, 12:09 AM
It is funny seeing people say " Video Games is the cause " Im a rap fan and if you know anything about what happens people do something stupid and blame it on the artist.. And win? WTF

If you wanan get away with murder just either say Its someone elses fault. Playing Counter strike made me wanna take 2 pistols to school kill 33 people commit suicide and make tapes saying i hate the world...

I guess they had video games throughout history cause there are many things like this that have happened

In my eyes all this is, Is Political BS they will ramble around try to get dumb ass things passed to get into office

cshaw419
04-20-2007, 08:23 AM
It is funny seeing people say " Video Games is the cause " Im a rap fan and if you know anything about what happens people do something stupid and blame it on the artist.. And win? WTF

If you wanan get away with murder just either say Its someone elses fault. Playing Counter strike made me wanna take 2 pistols to school kill 33 people commit suicide and make tapes saying i hate the world...

I guess they had video games throughout history cause there are many things like this that have happened

In my eyes all this is, Is Political BS they will ramble around try to get dumb ass things passed to get into office

If you have spent any time in a rural/low income area you will see what rap music has done to children who have bad parenting. Sure you can blame bad parenting but you can also blame society for using hatred/violence/racism/sexism/drugs as status symbols and using them for profit. Society is a different place now then it was 100 years ago, or 1000 years ago. Family has been destroyed while things like rap/video games/television/movies are being used as substitutes. Children are learning about these things at a younger age due to the commercialization of vices and without proper guidance they aren't mature enough to differentiate between what is real and what is fake.

With the way the world works now, both parents working, over crowded schools, divorce rates at all time highs, children being born out of wedlock at all time highs a lot of children are learning about the world from very questionable sources (rap music just being one example).

It is clear in the VT massacre the killer had serious mental problems. It is easy to blame the man with problems, but in a world where things like depression are on the rise it is simply not reasonable to discard the idea that social changes over the last 50 years are not in some way indirectly responsible for what we are seeing now. Mental problems have always plagued man, people have killed eachother since the beginning of history. Murder isn't something that just popped up over the last 100 years but the scale and occurances have been on the rise.

Hillary Clinton (someone who I am not very fond of) wrote a book called "It Takes a Village" reffering to what it takes to raise a child. The idea being that it is all of our responsibilites to make sure we are leading by example. Rap music, video games, television and movies have not lead by example, they have followed whatever trend it is that will make them money, and by doing this they have brought a lot of negatives into the world via our children.

If you haven't had the oppurtunity to go to a grade school and see how children interact with eachother I think a lot of people would be suprised. Not long ago I was a volunteer at a local park that was visited daily by local grade schools. Although I am not very old I was simply amazed at the differences between children in grade school now compared with when I went which was only about 15 years ago. Kids today have even less respect for elders than they did when I was there (which I didn't even think was possible).

In summation, blaming current social issues for the act of one mad man isn't going to get us anywhere so I agree with most of the posters on this topic. I disagree when people say things like video games, movies, music, television have no recourse on young people with little adult supervision. It is our responsibility as society to shelter young children from such explicit things that are desensitizing them to what once was taboo for the young. Being exposed to these things at such young ages can and have changed what we once thought of as: "The innocense of youth".

Zahrim
04-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Sounds like we need to halt population increase and go to a mandatory 30 hour work week.

Narnra
04-20-2007, 09:42 AM
If you have spent any time in a rural/low income area you will see what rap music has done to children who have bad parenting. Sure you can blame bad parenting but you can also blame society for using hatred/violence/racism/sexism/drugs as status symbols and using them for profit. Society is a different place now then it was 100 years ago, or 1000 years ago. Family has been destroyed while things like rap/video games/television/movies are being used as substitutes. Children are learning about these things at a younger age due to the commercialization of vices and without proper guidance they aren't mature enough to differentiate between what is real and what is fake.

With the way the world works now, both parents working, over crowded schools, divorce rates at all time highs, children being born out of wedlock at all time highs a lot of children are learning about the world from very questionable sources (rap music just being one example).

It is clear in the VT massacre the killer had serious mental problems. It is easy to blame the man with problems, but in a world where things like depression are on the rise it is simply not reasonable to discard the idea that social changes over the last 50 years are not in some way indirectly responsible for what we are seeing now. Mental problems have always plagued man, people have killed eachother since the beginning of history. Murder isn't something that just popped up over the last 100 years but the scale and occurances have been on the rise.

Hillary Clinton (someone who I am not very fond of) wrote a book called "It Takes a Village" reffering to what it takes to raise a child. The idea being that it is all of our responsibilites to make sure we are leading by example. Rap music, video games, television and movies have not lead by example, they have followed whatever trend it is that will make them money, and by doing this they have brought a lot of negatives into the world via our children.

If you haven't had the oppurtunity to go to a grade school and see how children interact with eachother I think a lot of people would be suprised. Not long ago I was a volunteer at a local park that was visited daily by local grade schools. Although I am not very old I was simply amazed at the differences between children in grade school now compared with when I went which was only about 15 years ago. Kids today have even less respect for elders than they did when I was there (which I didn't even think was possible).

In summation, blaming current social issues for the act of one mad man isn't going to get us anywhere so I agree with most of the posters on this topic. I disagree when people say things like video games, movies, music, television have no recourse on young people with little adult supervision. It is our responsibility as society to shelter young children from such explicit things that are desensitizing them to what once was taboo for the young. Being exposed to these things at such young ages can and have changed what we once thought of as: "The innocense of youth".

Dont blame media for making children disrespectful. Lay blame where it lies, with the "Oh not my kid" parents. Your son was mouthing off in class and punched another student. OH NOT MY KID hed never do anything like that.

I am a certified teacher and it has reached a point where you can not punish a student without risk of parents up in arms, and most administrations will cave to the parents.

I took a job at a school teaching social studies, it was temporary sub job til the spot was officially filled and I was one of the candidates. The position was open because the previous teacher esigned due to a parent complaint in which the administration would not back him up. I had a student who is kinda mouty and flippity doesnt like to pay attention. One day i made him stand in the corner for disrupting class and then lying to me. So I sent him to the corner on time out for less than a minute, then he sat down and was good for the rest of class.

Thinking nothing of it, just another displinary issue dealt with i get a phone call from the principal ond superintendant. Apparently the kid ran to his parents and they called up in arms about how I mistreated their child and dealt a huge blow to his self esteem. I was reamed up and dcown by the admins for everything from my upbringing, to my education, to my qualifications, to my methods. The time out in the corner being one often suggested by profs in education grad school. They then demands that I apologize to this student in front of the entire class. Needless to say I walked away. I will not apologize for a reasonable course of action.

But the point is, we live in a society of latch key kids and working parents. In this society much of a child's development is guided by teachers who spend more time with the children than their parents do. But at the same time the parents and administrators are out for self esteem, and coddling the students which completely ties the hands of teachers especially in such a litigation happy society in which administrators no longer take the teachers side for fear of litigation. We cant leave the raising of children up to our teachers and bind their hands at the same time.

As we bring children up liek them, what happens in college or the real job world? No one gives a damn about their self esteem out there. They expect them to perform and will not be "building their self esteem". Perhaps society would be better served is these children learned some discipline and to work up to a certain level rather than have their hand held all the way and never be told their wrong in fear of bruising their precious self esteem. Personally I would prefer self esteem gained from accomplishing something, passing an exam, gettign a degree, getting a job based on my merits rather than having a false self esteem garnered from ahnd holding, coddlign, and general babying.

Its time for parents, administrators, and society in general to stand up and take accountibility and stop pointing fingers. "Oh my Jimmy would never do that, the video agmes/movies/magazines caused this" should not fly.

The people that do things like this have obvious mental problems, I have been a hardcore gamer since age 8ish when I got my first nintendo and started playing Zelda and Tiger Heli. I am also an avid hunter with quite an arsenal. Never once have I ever even fostered the slightest inkling to turn a gun on a human, no matter how angry or upset i was with them. Perhaps instead of normal physicals that all people get entering school and periodically thereafter, it would behoove use to start doing mental health exams at the same time.

I agree that in the hands of the mentally unstable video games could lead to bad results. But so could whiskey in the hands of an alcholic. We dont see people pointing fingers at the Jack Daniel's distillery because some alkie fell off the wagon and killed 3 people in a DWI accident. Just because a certain segment of society can't handle these things doesnt mean the rest of the repsponsible populace should suffer.

edit: sorry for the novel and any mistypes. Im off to corrupt myself and desensitize myself to violence further with suggective video games. Its true they have an effect. Ever since I first played Nintendo i have had an irresistable urge to jump on turtles and throw their shells at mushrooms.

Charnas
04-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Video games don't cause violence. I'd be more willing to blame the U.S. TV culture on the desensitization toward violence than anything. In Europe violence is entirely more taboo than sexuality. I blame the Puritans for this. Puritans are to blame for all the violence in the U.S.

Anyhow... the whole video gamer thing... we're too damn busy sitting in front of a screen to go out and shoot people... besides, we don't get leet exp or high scores for frags in real life... please!

Bodega
04-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Well ive never really believed video games make people violent. You can only push someone so far till they wont take it anymore. Most shooting like this dont occur because there is something wrong with the person doing it (in some cases maybe). They occur because people in general are ass holes and deserve to be shot.

Remember what goes around comes around. So next time you cut someone off in traffic, tease someone for the way they look, or way they dress, just think you might be next ;).

Wow you have some major issues. You really should look into some serious long term help. No one should be killed even if they are the largest ahole on the planet.

Narnra
04-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Wow you have some major issues. You really should look into some serious long term help. No one should be killed even if they are the largest ahole on the planet.

QFT

Tomcrit
04-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Nearly every larger scale killer I.E serial/spree killer has been found to have one thing in common which they obsess about and it isn't video games, tv or pornography it suprisingly is the Bible or parts of it.

Damace
04-20-2007, 04:47 PM
I often hear reference to the past vs. today’s sociological influences and the impact on abnormal behavior increasing in a population. Inferring: In the present there are “more” negative influences in society and/or it is “different” now from the past, for it is on the “historical rise”. As if modern times are the historical pinnacle of decadence. I have a problem with this theory or even skirting too close to it.

I disagree with the concept of the past as being different from today in how environmental influences “Nurture” affects abnormal psychology.

Present day “uniqueness” in behavior regarding abnormal psychology doesn’t exist as a product of “unique” present day influences; like “video games and/or rap music”. The impact that environmental influences had on human behavior 100 years ago and/or 1000 years ago has been the same. Using the tenets of “nature vs. nurture”; “nurture’s” influence never changes, only the modality of influence. Silly example, “I take my son to a gladiator event in Roman times, today I take my son to a rated R movie.” One could contrast what is more abhorred…Roman era…Modern era”. I am not going there.

Reading through the above posters commentaries, some well written, prompted some thoughts. I wonder how much adolescent violence was attributed to children viewing the slaughter of Christians at gladiator events during the Roman Empire? How much violence was perpetuated upon others by children who watched the public beheadings during the French Revolution? Did mass murders exist due to the influence of these public violent displays?

I would steer clear of the slippery slope one engages upon by using history to support a contrast/difference in present day “phenomena” of abnormal psychology.

In conclusion: I believe there is nothing new under the son when it comes to abnormal psychology. I believe that history repeats itself. I believe that behavior is a derivative of both “Nature” and “Nurture”.

Rant on: What ever the influences from environment had in the life of this guy going off his rocker, played a minor role to the predominate “nature” (ie. genetic) influence perpetuating this mass murder. I challenge that this guy’s life and environmental influences was not as hard as the millions who have been put in concentration camps historically. These victims of concentration camps, including children, in a abhorred environment did not “spaz” out later in life and commit mass murder of innocents. We don’t need to pamper or coddle this kind of crap by being concerned about society’s responsibilities to those easily influenced by “pulp fiction, movies, video games, rap stars, and other, scapegoat targets”. There are people who are not wired right and this psycho is a classic example. Too bad no one didn’t give him a 3rd eye sooner to save the all those lost, and spare all the others the trauma of living with his psychotic break. Rant off.

Meradin
04-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Its human nature for people to think:
"Well, they might think to blame me, so I'll point the blame elsewhere, quick!"

There have been plenty of mass murderers (see the list here of what some construe as mass murderer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_murderer)).

Not too many played video games. Kinda hard considering they weren't available at the time.

Defmetal
04-22-2007, 04:42 AM
Y'all might try listening to Rush more often, he's actually not as crazy as CNN makes him out to be =P

Scary thing is that Hilary is winning on the democrat side, and she's the one who wants to destroy video games forever >.> (she was like the leading figure in the GTA ban)

but yeah, the problem isn't games, or TV, it's parents.
I hate Michael Moore but I give him props for what he said in Bowling for Colombine, we need to place the blame where it properly belongs: With the people raising the kid.

We don't need to work on ways to punish the 58,000,000 gun owners because 30 people commited murders today, because 57,999,970 people didn't commit murder. You control your gun, i'll control mine, thats my idea of gun control.
(Thats a quote but i don't feel like naming the source.)

Culture doesn't create murder, we had murder throughout history, before video games, before rap >.>
So ... if the only way to keep video games is to vote republican, then thats what i'll do, because I won't vote for someone like Hilary knowing i'm putting bans on video games.

Szczuldo
04-22-2007, 10:32 AM
There are some great points made here, one of the best I'd have to say is from Narnra. Surprisingly enough i haven't been witness to a situation like you had with that child. I agree that the whole U.S. parents are turning into the "Oh not my kid" kind of people. And if not that type, they are the type that are afraid to punish their kids for one reason or another. Some just do not know how to, others are afraid.

It's been said a few times and ill say it again. You cannot blame video games for "influencing" people to kill. If someone takes what they see in a video game and puts it to real life it is not the games fault, its more or less the parents fault, for one for buying the game, for two for not realizing their child was mentally ill.

Mental Illness is I'm sure the greatest connection between all the people who have ever done shootings. There is no way a sane person can play counterstrike or gta or another favorite scapegoat and then say hey, I'm going to apply this to my real life. IF they are sane, they watch the news and hear about people murdering others and then going to jail and would realize that it is wrong. Insane people on the other hand are unable to comprehend what is wrong and what is right, and more often than not they are hot tempers and can easily be blown off.

Parenting and the publics disrespect towards the different is what is to blame.

The U.S. "Enforcement officers" are also a joke. So someone i know went to a walmart and somehow stole 6 bottles of vodka costing 140$ or so, of course he got caught the moment he walked out. But thats not the point, the point is he does this often and his parents don't know what to do. And because of these damn queer laws he cannot sit the time out because he is underage. NO Matter how old, well once the child gets into their teens, THEY should be punished for what they did, not their parents. The parents are able to control their kids to some extent, but what makes them from not doing it again when all that the police do is a slap on the wrist and a fine to THEIR parents and not them?

The U.S. is going to shit, the public year after year is becoming more indecent and what do people do about it? Nothing. Take celeberties for example, they get out of anything. THAT is also what influences people, they did it and did not get in much trouble that means i can do the same thing. If every person was treated equally then the U.S. might be a decent place. Law enforcement is nothing more than a slap on the wrist. The death penalty should not exist and murderers need their own prison from which there is no Bail, no visitors, and very little of anything to do. They Need to suffer and this suffering will be increased based on how many people they killed. The death penalty is nothing but a way out for the murders and what is life in prison? A Prison becomes your home and after a few years people start to get used to it...that cannot be the case.

well i have to be somewhere so my rant must end.

Defmetal
04-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Well I was done with this topic until earlier today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18246522/

It seems Gun Control or Game Control wouldn't have stopped it, he bought his ammo off EBAY.
Go ebay! >.>
So he didn't buy his stuff at a store where they can say you're unfit, they did it at a place where it doesn't matter.

BoydofZINJ
04-22-2007, 05:24 PM
If video games are the sole cause of mass murders then why were there some before the invention of computers?

Defmetal
04-22-2007, 10:09 PM
The problem you're having is you are trying to apply logic to something that doesn't make sense.

Dragon-RD
04-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Only if they banned killing, would I consider killing. On a more serious note, if they took away gaming there would be a HUGE upset. I've been gaming since I was 4 (something that I can't say im hugely proud off -.-) and as far as I know, I'm yet to go out and kill anyone.

DCpunk
04-23-2007, 12:04 PM

As a matter of fact, yes I have. It was called "raving" in the 90s.

Sono_hito
04-24-2007, 03:47 AM
You want to know something rather funny about this entire thing? The kid who shot everyone didnt have any videogames. In fact he didnt like them and never played. When police raided his apt/dorm (forget which) they didnt find any and when they interviewed his aquantenances they said he would always say he didnt like videogames.

Can we say "foot in mouth Mr Jack Thompson?".

vatoreus
04-25-2007, 06:22 AM
See Sono, the media will just let that pass by without giving it any air time. In our society, we need something to blame, at the moment, Video Games are the fall-takers. If we admit there is a problem at home or within the people, we admit that we ourselves are flawed and that can't be allowed to happen.

Also, the whole punishing kids thing comes from bitch ass politicians who deem it necessary to outlaw punishment in extreme cases. Now a days, a kid can just go to a teacher, principle, etc. and say that his parents abuse him physically/mentally/verbally and they automatically take the side of the child. Our society promotes false accusations and lets people get away with them.

Ethanael
04-26-2007, 03:05 AM
Why is it when something like this happens, some people are quick to blame that Harry Potter book, or the Mission Impossible movie out there? Or hell, now days, lets just point he finger at Counter-Srike (uh, why not rainbow six?). Clearly these people have their own agenda and they want to confuse as many people as they can in the process.

In addition, why do those people ignore the fact that people do have serious mental conditions that could eventually make them feel like what they are doing is like carving a turkey? Psychopath anybody? The fact of the matter is that these people hate the world and believe everybody around them are inferior to them. Harris, during the columbine felt this way and while Klebold hurt on the inside, Harris wanted to hurt someone on the outside.

The VT killer looks like the same darn thing. The guy hated rich people and claimed it in several pieces of video/writings. It'll only be time before we find out, but I'm seriously leaning toward him having some bad issues with the mind, from what i've read.

And people like Jack Thompson doesn't help any of this and just stirrs up the confusion bucket for people that don't understand video games.

Regards,

Garis
04-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Whenever I see this I think of something that comedian Ron White said....

"If video games made us do stuff we'd all be jumping around bumping into each other with coins coming out of our asses."

Renekal
04-26-2007, 11:39 PM
*blank* don't kill people, people kill people. As a people we blame other things because we don't want to believe that it's something we did, it has to be someone else's fault.

Abbzug
04-28-2007, 02:48 PM
I think there are deleterious effects from the glorification of violence in TV, movies and videogames, especially for younger people. There's many examples of violence being glorified (hi2u 300), and it does desensitize us.

But, I still don't care. Free speech protects even unpopular and disagreeable speech. Though I wish we had a more European view and rating system (less hangups about sex, little less gorenography). Videogames make an easy target though. Because while there are abortions of taste like 300 and wrestling in other mediums there are also lots of examples of very fine art that is also very violent in those formats, such as The Wire or The Departed, etc.. Videogames don't really have that. Videogames don't really rise to the level of art.

In general the country has been getting safer over time in the last decade since 3-d games like Doom started coming out. I think this is all hyperventilation. As sad as the VT thing was, it's only one incident in a country of 300 million people, and hardly represents a trend. What's even more criminal is how underreported stuff like this happens everyday on a much larger scale in Iraq with innocent civilians.

Oh and what's funny is that the gunman's roommate said that the gunman didn't even play videogames (he did mention the gunman was a wrestling fan though).

blade2040
05-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Dont blame media for making children disrespectful. Lay blame where it lies, with the "Oh not my kid" parents. Your son was mouthing off in class and punched another student. OH NOT MY KID hed never do anything like that.

I am a certified teacher and it has reached a point where you can not punish a student without risk of parents up in arms, and most administrations will cave to the parents.

I took a job at a school teaching social studies, it was temporary sub job til the spot was officially filled and I was one of the candidates. The position was open because the previous teacher esigned due to a parent complaint in which the administration would not back him up. I had a student who is kinda mouty and flippity doesnt like to pay attention. One day i made him stand in the corner for disrupting class and then lying to me. So I sent him to the corner on time out for less than a minute, then he sat down and was good for the rest of class.

Thinking nothing of it, just another displinary issue dealt with i get a phone call from the principal ond superintendant. Apparently the kid ran to his parents and they called up in arms about how I mistreated their child and dealt a huge blow to his self esteem. I was reamed up and dcown by the admins for everything from my upbringing, to my education, to my qualifications, to my methods. The time out in the corner being one often suggested by profs in education grad school. They then demands that I apologize to this student in front of the entire class. Needless to say I walked away. I will not apologize for a reasonable course of action.

But the point is, we live in a society of latch key kids and working parents. In this society much of a child's development is guided by teachers who spend more time with the children than their parents do. But at the same time the parents and administrators are out for self esteem, and coddling the students which completely ties the hands of teachers especially in such a litigation happy society in which administrators no longer take the teachers side for fear of litigation. We cant leave the raising of children up to our teachers and bind their hands at the same time.

As we bring children up liek them, what happens in college or the real job world? No one gives a damn about their self esteem out there. They expect them to perform and will not be "building their self esteem". Perhaps society would be better served is these children learned some discipline and to work up to a certain level rather than have their hand held all the way and never be told their wrong in fear of bruising their precious self esteem. Personally I would prefer self esteem gained from accomplishing something, passing an exam, gettign a degree, getting a job based on my merits rather than having a false self esteem garnered from ahnd holding, coddlign, and general babying.

Its time for parents, administrators, and society in general to stand up and take accountibility and stop pointing fingers. "Oh my Jimmy would never do that, the video agmes/movies/magazines caused this" should not fly.

The people that do things like this have obvious mental problems, I have been a hardcore gamer since age 8ish when I got my first nintendo and started playing Zelda and Tiger Heli. I am also an avid hunter with quite an arsenal. Never once have I ever even fostered the slightest inkling to turn a gun on a human, no matter how angry or upset i was with them. Perhaps instead of normal physicals that all people get entering school and periodically thereafter, it would behoove use to start doing mental health exams at the same time.

I agree that in the hands of the mentally unstable video games could lead to bad results. But so could whiskey in the hands of an alcholic. We dont see people pointing fingers at the Jack Daniel's distillery because some alkie fell off the wagon and killed 3 people in a DWI accident. Just because a certain segment of society can't handle these things doesnt mean the rest of the repsponsible populace should suffer.

edit: sorry for the novel and any mistypes. Im off to corrupt myself and desensitize myself to violence further with suggective video games. Its true they have an effect. Ever since I first played Nintendo i have had an irresistable urge to jump on turtles and throw their shells at mushrooms.

Narnra for president!

Dazzler Desiderare
05-07-2007, 10:04 PM
I didnt read most of the posts here but the beginning few but, This stinks of something similar to the PMRC led by someone named Gore. Same idiocy different decade.