PDA

View Full Version : A Day in the LIfe of a Community Manager

Labyrrinth
05-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Want a (somewhat) fictional glimpse into the life of a Community Manager? Sanya Weathers, who some of you may know as Tweety and former Community Manager for DAOC gives you just that in her latest blog entry titled “Why Does It Take So Long To Answer Simple Questions?”

"Bob forwards Gertrude's email to Jake, a programmer. Jake is not the one who coded the original element on which Gertrude's system is based. THAT guy, Wayne, is somewhere in the Caribbean coked up along with a bunch of strippers, where he has been ever since he cashed his FunFactory stock options, opened his own studio, and sold THAT one to MegaCorp for millions of dollars. Wayne was also a self-taught genius who adhered to no known coding formalities and whose comments were in haiku. Since Wayne left, approximately two dozen programmers of various levels of ability have added layers of complexity. Jake is very young and enthusiastic, but his joy at finally being in the gaming industry is starting to dim from coping with a ten year old pile of what is called "spaghetti code.""

Sound vaguely familiar to anyone? Continue reading here (http://eatingbees.brokentoys.org/?p=5)

AsheMan
05-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Wow, Wayne pulled a McQuaid.

Brikk
05-24-2007, 03:37 PM

Nice. Today we learn the importance of config/change/release management.

QforQ
05-24-2007, 03:56 PM
I really like the posts she has so far on her blog. Hopefully she keeps it up as it's great to get an insight into the community relations aspect of the industry :)

Dillgaar
05-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Sanya has been a great community mod for daoc and for warhammer online...

if you ever see her at a convention ask her to do her waaagh!!! for you... it's absolutely great

Kriptical
07-23-2007, 01:04 PM

man...when I retired from EQ in January the Dev's there were still bitching about the nightmarish..train wreck...spaghetti code which they were still wading through...in fact, that problem, and countless dev's in one capacity or another saying that the 'legacy' code was so bad that in order to do X, Y, or Z, it would require practically starting from scratch. Was one of, if not the reason I faded away :(