PDA

View Full Version : Penny Arcade & the ESRB Team Up

Labyrrinth
06-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Penny Arcade revealed last week that the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) has hired them to create a new advertising campaign. This campaign is slated to be aimed directly at players and will complement the ESRB's current ads which are aimed more towards parents.

The Penny Arcade campaign will consist of five separate print ads, which showcase "original characters representing the ages of various rating categories." The ads will be rolled out sequentially throughout the summer.

Read the full announcement here (http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=12882).

Malbolgia
06-08-2006, 11:51 AM
I can't wait to see what they do with the AO rating! :D

:brownie:

GnomerBreltik
06-08-2006, 01:10 PM
I think it is great that the ESRB is getting a bit more mainstream with their advertising in order to get the word out. It shows they really do care about their system and want to inform everyone, not just parents.

Skarlath
06-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Hehe :D I look forward to seeing the results!

Navid
06-08-2006, 02:31 PM
wait so they are making characters that represent each rating? to what end? to put on game boxes? ads?

Ayerc
06-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Looks to be just for this ad campaign, though I haven't read through the full announcement for more details yet.

Edit: Looked through the full announcement, it's just for the ad campaign. Sounds like a really good way for the ESRB to target the younger gamers out there, as long as they place these ads in the right places.

Skarlath
06-08-2006, 02:45 PM
wait so they are making characters that represent each rating? to what end? to put on game boxes? ads?

Might be web-ads and such. Unless they are going to animate PA's characters I doubt they would work on TV or before films at the cinema. :)

Perhaps posters to put up in game shops - that might be quite a good idea. :)

Painthane
06-08-2006, 03:00 PM
IMO, rating systems mean absolutely nothing until they start handing out fines to stores and thier employees for selling games with restricted content to minors, like a fine would be given to someone selling kids cigarettes or booze. Until then, it's just something for the video game industry to cover this butts from lawsuits while creating any and all content they see fit to.

That being said, raising awareness of the rating system is a wise idea, and Penny Arcade seems a OK choice.

Razorwire
06-09-2006, 08:13 AM
IMO, rating systems mean absolutely nothing until they start handing out fines to stores and thier employees for selling games with restricted content to minors, like a fine would be given to someone selling kids cigarettes or booze. Until then, it's just something for the video game industry to cover this butts from lawsuits while creating any and all content they see fit to.

I still don't agree with classing video games with booze and smokes. It should be classed with books and videos.