PDA

View Full Version : Uwe Boll Fighting Back... Literally

Dillgaar
06-13-2006, 11:38 AM
1870His films make the gaming fanboi weep... the mere mention of his name in conjunction with a movie version of a game makes the games publisher's stock drop 50%... but why?

Have you ever seen one of his movies? I used to buy into the whole if he was involved with a movie it would suck mentality, but I have seen Bloodrayne and it really wasn't all that bad. It was no masterpiece but I have seen far far worse.

With a long line of films (House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, the afore mentioned Bloodrayne and the upcoming Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale) highly criticized by fans and professionals alike it makes you wonder if it is nothing more than mob mentality.

Now Uwe is striking back, and he is using a new movie to do it.

It seems Mr. Boll has come by the position of directing a Postal movie and he really wants his critics to get into this one... no really he wants them in it. It seems the top 5 critics on the internet are going to be challenged to boxing matches during the filming of Postal which will then become part of the movie.

Sound like a wacky idea? Sure does but Uwe Boll just took a few huge jumps on my respect list. You wanna diss him, he'll give you his opinion back... along with a right hook.

Check out more about the validity of the story here (http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24707327&sid=6152650).

Navid
06-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Hahaha thats filipping awsome!

Skarlath
06-13-2006, 02:22 PM
A Postal movie?!! Complete with urinating on corpses?! :eek:

Snake
06-13-2006, 07:16 PM
and the kicking of the heads..??

Vengeful
06-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Bah ha!!!

I loved the newest one... the game was DESIGNED to piss you off.

Lord_Vyper
06-13-2006, 10:21 PM
Hmm, might be worth it to see, if shovels are involved.

Elrar (of Silky Venom)
06-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Lol intriguing contest, but I dont care much for critics opinions, or them in the first place :p

Now give me a good couple of minutes in the ring with him and Ill give him the definition of the word pain.

Hes ruined many movies, and as not as terrible as bloodrayne might have been it was still a bad movie.

Granted there hasnt really been one video game movie thats made me say "wow that was a good adaptation"

But uwe bowl is the iconic figurehead of the already hurting genre.

And the fact that he has Hunters: The Wreckoning in his warpath makes me shudder as a long time White Wolf Fanboy.

I cant even maintain the sanctity of my Pen and Paper >.<!

If he touches vampires though...ill just start swingin!

:D

Bolshoi
06-19-2006, 01:34 AM
Have you seen House of the Dead? I don't care what his other movies were, that one makes me not want to see any of them! You know what the best special effect in that movie was? 360 camera pans of a still shot. The stunts were terrible, the acting was terrible, and worst of all, he used game footage in the middle of the movie!

When the first couple of people died, they got dramatic death screens, where the camera panned around them, and the screen turned red. But that inexplicably stopped in the middle of the movie. The idiot who ran off without a flashlight, and got mobbed by zombies got the dramatic pan, but the guy who sacrificed himself so the others could get away didn't. WTF?

Now tell me, if you heard that the guy who made that movie was making another one, would you give it any credibility at all? I wouldn't....

Dillgaar
06-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Have you seen House of the Dead? I don't care what his other movies were, that one makes me not want to see any of them! You know what the best special effect in that movie was? 360 camera pans of a still shot. The stunts were terrible, the acting was terrible, and worst of all, he used game footage in the middle of the movie!

When the first couple of people died, they got dramatic death screens, where the camera panned around them, and the screen turned red. But that inexplicably stopped in the middle of the movie. The idiot who ran off without a flashlight, and got mobbed by zombies got the dramatic pan, but the guy who sacrificed himself so the others could get away didn't. WTF?

Now tell me, if you heard that the guy who made that movie was making another one, would you give it any credibility at all? I wouldn't....

If you ever saw Evil Dead (one of Sam Raimi's first movies) you would say who the heck does this guy think he is...

Then Evil Dead II came around which was a complete remake of Evil Dead but they enhanced the campy humor of it and it became a cult hit... the same with Army of Darkness... Then comes Hercules and Xena... then Spiderman...

I feel that every director has a niche... Raimi's happen to be off the wall stories of incredible heroes starting with Ash and moving through Peter Parker... I feel Uwe Boll does what he does because he loves it... are they great? no... but neither are a lot of movies that aren't given the time of day to begin with either as is the case in many video game based movies... studios just don't seem to give a rip... look at movies like Doom... big name star... big budget... still sucked... the only decently good movie that came froma video game so far has been Resident Evil.

Uwe will have his day... but until then he will keep making movies and heck... even I would find it hard to turn down making video game movie after video game movie if it were somethign I loved and someone was willing to pay me for it... no matter how bad they ended up sucking or how much I was criticized

Bolshoi
06-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Hey, if you wanna make those movies, by all means, make them. But don't get upset when people critisize you because your movies suck, or when people are less inclined to watch your newer movies because of your older works.

Evil Dead was a gem. It was so bad, it was good. Uwe has not yet made any such gems. From what I hear, he's only made bad movies based on video games. But after seeing House of the Dead, I'm inclined to believe it.

And the way he's handling this is nothing short of bully tactics. He doesn't counter his critics by working harder to make his movies good, he calls them out to a boxing match. He's trying to solve his problems by beating them up instead of working on them. This doesn't make me want to give him my money. I'll be seeing Postal for free on Starz in a couple years. Same way I saw House of the Dead.

reefus88
06-19-2006, 03:32 PM
I'd hate to have to make a movie now-a-days, let alone one based on a video game.

It's like all people do on the internet now is bash things, especially in the video game community.

Too many Monday morning quaterbacks and too many people sitting comfortably behind a chair not having to worry about what they say.

One of my favorite movie scenes is when Jay and Silent Bob go around beating up all the people that were bashing them on the net, hehe.

Dillgaar
06-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Uwe has not yet made any such gems. From what I hear, he's only made bad movies based on video games. But after seeing House of the Dead, I'm inclined to believe it.

I think the highlighted text above really hit the point home... in Sam Raimi's case people never really openly criticized Evil Dead... it just kind of floated around as a myth until it gained awider audience... in the case of Uwe Boll... a lot of people keep saying his movies suck without giving them a chance... I have seen most of Bloodrayne and it wasn't too bad... and actually I am planning to have a Uwe Boll marathon very soon to see what all the hubub is about... a lot of people have heard that the movies are good but I think Uwe just wants people to actually see them before criticizing them... and its not really the fans that bother him it is the critics that are making uninformed critiques of his films without even watching them... how can you expect a professional critic to really do their job if they aren't even watching the movies they are tearing apart...

I don't care if the movies do suck... it isn't fair to them ot to Uwe or anyone else involved to make a quick judgment if you haven't seen the movie...

From the red highlighted text above you can also see why people have the feelings they do... if you see one movie you think they are all the same and in some cases that is true...

I would love to hear how people viewed Evil Dead back when it first came out... the peopel who introduced me to it were hardcore B movie fans and told me it was a laugh riot... its all in the way you watch the movie... I think Uwe's movies are the same way... they try to hard which makes them funny... they arent really unbearable for the most part but then again they arent great... I think if people, from the begining, started making fun of the movie and laughing at it and enjoying them that way then maybe Uwe would have taken more risks and pushed the envelope harder to get the reaction from the audience in a way that Raimi did... but it seems that every time he had a new movie come out everyone was down on it from the get go and saying it wasnt even worth watching...

so people didn't watch them and the word spread that they were bad and it just snowballed from there