PDA

View Full Version : The ESA vs Everyone: Round Two

Dillgaar
06-13-2006, 11:51 AM
1820After they took on Minnesota (http://www.silkyvenom.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4038) for trying to fine minors $25 for buying video games rated M or AO, the ESA went hunting for their next target... Ooooooooooooooooooklahoma.

After signing a bill into law (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6152609.html) to add video games with questionable content to a list of items that could be construed as "harmful to minors", Oaklahoma now finds itself looking down the barrel of ESA's lawyers.

Citing the law as a violation of the First Amendment, ESA hopes to begin changing lawmakers minds about how to proceed with these types of cases. So far it isn't looking good for gamers as more and more states jump on the bandwagon of blaming video games for violent behavior.

We'll just wait and see what they do when aliens attack or there is some strange zombifying plague outbreak... who will they turn to then, who indeed.

Read more about the lawsuit here (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6152659.html) or find out more about the ESA here (http://www.theesa.com/).

Navid
06-13-2006, 11:57 AM
I hate when people and lawmakers attack these "end" problems

you cant just bann everything and what not. You have to find the root of the problem. Which is in these people and thier lives. My guess some kind of family issue or liglect, or somthing of that sort.

We can waste our lives fixing these "end" issues, or we can look for the origin of these actions and fix those. When you do that you solve a whole slew of problems...

Razorwire
06-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Just remember that correlation does not equal causation.

Just because youth violence and game violence are on th erise doesn't mean one causes the other.

Wave
06-13-2006, 03:38 PM
"We'll just wait and see what they do when aliens attack or there is some strange zombifying plague outbreak... who will they turn to then, who indeed."
Ah, hahahahahahaha! :D Oh man, if only they knew. We've been training to protect them from such threats for years, and now they want to shut us down... *sigh* :p

Oh man, that made my day ^_^

cloakas
06-13-2006, 03:50 PM
"We'll just wait and see what they do when aliens attack or there is some strange zombifying plague outbreak... who will they turn to then, who indeed."
Ah, hahahahahahaha! :D Oh man, if only they knew. We've been training to protect them from such threats for years, and now they want to shut us down... *sigh* :p

Oh man, that made my day ^_^

Yea that cracked me up too.

As far as all the legislation I think lawmakers should have something better to do than blame games for the problems that come up it the world. Its not like the video game puts the gun in the kids hands and says shoot or i wont let you play me anymore. People have free will and if they are letting a video game influance their judgement there was something wrong with them to start with. Lawmakers should be taking down abusive parents and drug dealers taking the people that really hurt the youth of america out rather than the video games and those that play them.

darkarius
06-14-2006, 06:47 AM
I hate when people and lawmakers attack these "end" problems

you cant just bann everything and what not. You have to find the root of the problem. Which is in these people and thier lives. My guess some kind of family issue or liglect, or somthing of that sort.

We can waste our lives fixing these "end" issues, or we can look for the origin of these actions and fix those. When you do that you solve a whole slew of problems...

On the Oaklahoma law I somewhat agree with you here this is some serious thin ice they are walking on. You cannot just put the first idea that pops into your head into the lawbooks it takes serious thought to come up with real solutions.

Eshu
06-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Heheh. I knew the Oklahoma legislature wouldn't let me down on finding their own spin on the subject. :) I wonder if the bureaucrats do manage to win some of these battles what the next target will be?