PDA

View Full Version : 20 Innovations that Changed Gaming Forever

Labyrrinth
06-16-2006, 12:26 PM
1up has posted an interesting article that explores 20 game play mechanics that have transformed video gaming. From life bars and character customization to boss mobs, chain reactions and spell casting.

It was only logical that when role-playing games made the transition to home computers, magic would come along for the ride. Richard Garriot was the first to cast a spell on the video game industry with Akalabeth. This primitive but ambitious adventure would lay the foundation for his Ultima series, and Ultima would in turn inspire hundreds of role-playing games by Japanese developers like Square and Enix (or rather, Square Enix).

Itís an interesting read (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3151392) that examines the influence a lot of the older games have had on video gaming today.

Navid
06-16-2006, 12:58 PM
yeah i read that yesterday, its like a stroll down memory lane

Vordox
06-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Thank you Thank you that really took me back.
I played Ultima on Nes and I used to spend my time tryn to steal from vendors before the guards kicked my ass LOL! I only succeeded once. They gave you a shovel too and I musta dug that place to death looking for buried treasure. Woot good times!

Great Article and good post!

Spirit
06-16-2006, 01:53 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed that. Thanks!

Faelor
06-16-2006, 03:03 PM
And the last word in the article in EverQuest :pirate:

Razorwire
06-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the link, that was a great article and seeing all those old screen shots again :)