PDA

View Full Version : EA Acquires Mythic Entertainment

Dillgaar
06-21-2006, 02:08 PM
1879In a not so surprising move, Electronic Arts has announced they will be acquiring Mythic Entertainment in a bid to fulfill their commitment to the online market.

It seems the trend for company acquisition as opposed to innovation and development continues to reach it's way into the video game industry, but is it a blessing or a curse?

I can see it now...

John Madden's Warhammer Online!

oooh maybe even...

Dark Age of NFL

I hope the seemingly deep pockets of EA can help Mythic really achieve its potential as opposed to turning Mythic into merely a puppet developer. A small company by comparison, Mythic has been well known for its smooth launch of DAoC as well as its innovative Realm vs Realm system (by far one of the best PVP systems out there to date) and that was just in their first major foray into MMOGs.

Warhammer online is highly anticipated and here's to hoping that the EA purchase will only effect the ability of Mythic to deliver the quality game they can make and not hinder the abilities of the company to complete their projects.

EA has had a sordid past of unfair treatment of their employees which brought fame to folks like ea spouse (http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html) and lit a fire under the industry to improve the work environment for game developers. We can only hope that with the already stressful environment of developing a persistent world that these types of practices won't rear their ugly heads.

We hope for the best with this acquisition and wish both EA and Mythic good luck and we look forward to seeing Warhammer Online and whatever else may be coming our way.

You can read the official press release here (http://www.ea.com/article.jsp?dcr=ea&id=ea_mythic)

Gerec
06-21-2006, 04:05 PM
That is a great picture :p

rabb1t
06-21-2006, 04:33 PM
A more realistic picture would be CANCELED. But hey, we can only hope they have changed their opinion of the online space.

Skarlath
06-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Woo! Maybe they will use their infamous crunch-time to have WAR out in half the time! :D :p

Was the development of Warhammer online being done in the US, or in the UK, or perhaps elsewhere? Anyone know?

rabb1t
06-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Texas I think. You'd think it was UK cause the main spokesperson has an accent. :p

Navid
06-21-2006, 09:07 PM
ooo I cant wait for DAoNFL to come out! I am gunna be an elf right-tackle. But I hear its hard to get a team. they need to add a LFT option. Anyway, i am so exited

Dojo
06-22-2006, 01:25 AM
I hear it's grossly unbalanced. I mean, the kobolds get gimped and no one wants to team with them.

Mack Bolan
06-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Well i can say for sure that it wasnt exactly a smooth launch... unless you are referring to the stability of the servers. I will give you that, but at launch a few classes were not done, and the spells were not doing what they were suppose to. Mentalist is the class i was referring about.

Dillgaar
06-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Well i can say for sure that it wasnt exactly a smooth launch... unless you are referring to the stability of the servers. I will give you that, but at launch a few classes were not done, and the spells were not doing what they were suppose to. Mentalist is the class i was referring about.

True, but still one of, it not THE, smoothest launches of any MMO to date