PDA

View Full Version : The Magic Inside Consoles

Dillgaar
06-21-2006, 02:24 PM
1880Consoles today are nothing more than mini, super powerful computers created for one thing and one thing only... kicking your butt!

From GPUs to CPUs and RAM to HDDs gaming rigs are just refined pieces of beauty meant to take you and your gaming experience to the next level.

GameSpy, along with some folks from Microsoft, takes a nice little ride literally into the world of consoles, where they are today and where they are coming from.

Check out the article here (http://www.gamespy.com/articles/713/713016p1.html) to find out what really makes your favorite gaming systems tick.

Navid
06-21-2006, 09:08 PM
I think one day consols and computers will jusst merge and become one.

Pragmatica
06-21-2006, 09:22 PM
It is odd.... in this day and age, when we want our cell phone to receive e-mails, schedule appointments, take notes, record contacts, store information, play 1000 songs (not just ring tones), and watch your favorite TV show, all while tracking your movements through the build in GPS and taking a picture of the girl with the tight shirt on while telling your IM buddy about the experience that we can't have a device that does spreadsheets and plays games at the same time.

I have never gotten the point of a console.

Cobalt Katze
06-21-2006, 10:02 PM
The way you control a game will always be the definition of how it functions, plays, and remains dissimilar from other methods of control.

Right now, it's the staple of controllers versus that of keyboard and mouse. How you control a game affects the very fundamentals of how it is designed, and until consoles are computers and use keyboards and mouse, the two will be very separate and still exist as viable options for gaming.

Dillgaar
06-21-2006, 10:10 PM
I think the biggest thing about a console for gaming is that it is a set environment... there is no flexibility or differentiation in hardware so programming games and optimizing games specifically for that system makes the game experience better... with the way PCs are right now it is a lot more difficult to handle all of the unknowns and code for the most common systems... but even then you still need to patch for hardware issues and upgrades

we wont find somethign that does spreadsheets and runs games consistently until all computers are the same which isnt going to happen any time soon

rabb1t
06-21-2006, 10:36 PM
with the way PCs are right now it is a lot more difficult to handle all of the unknowns and code for the most common systems... but even then you still need to patch for hardware issues and upgrades

Which is why I never understood why the generations were so short and they were constantly driving for even shorter generations.

IMO from a gaming standpoint it would be far better if things like the GPU had longer lifecycles as it were, where they made a big leap once every like 1.5 years or so and there were no changes to the hardware until that big leap. I think changing it and adding new hardware all the time likely does more harm than good.

Dillgaar
06-22-2006, 10:34 AM
I think the real clincher will come when truly scalable applications are made... applications that can perform as well with an older machine as they will in future generations...

all the stuff that the xbox 360 is going through right now to make older games playable on the 360 is a good sign of what shouldn't happen...

unfortunately with the engines that games are based off of they are usually selective in what they test against and built for...

some day in the future there will be engine and client technology that will be so scalable that no matter what you run (windows linux mac etc) you will be able to run the game/app on par with anyone else...

it is sort of like the whole Microsoft plan with office products, to make them web based so that you can use them from any computer at any time without having to install or upgrade or anything... software may eventually turn into a subscription based model as opposed to a retail model... who knows it may be good or bad but it will definitely help to solve these compatability issues that are abound in the world today