PDA

View Full Version : Player Haters, Congressional Hearings, & Jon Stewart

Labyrrinth
06-22-2006, 09:32 PM
1885Jon Stewart of The Daily Show has a new report out titled "Player Haters." In it he examined the June 14 congressional hearing that addressed the topic of video game content.

The hearing on June 14 heard testimony from a number of key individuals involved with the debate. Among them was Representative Lee Terry from Nebraska who took a minute to voice his concern on the subject, stating that “as a father of three young boys, 11, 8, and 6, who are avid gamers, I am very concerned about the content included in the games."

Jon Stewart responded by mimicking Terry: "And as I stand there, watching them play these violent games, helpless to do anything about it, I can't help but wonder where the system has failed."

An "oh my gawd you didn't just say that" moment was when Congressman Joe Pits stated: “It's safe to say that a wealthy kid from the suburbs can play Grand Theft Auto or similar games without turning to a life of crime, but a poor kid who lives in a neighborhood where people really do steal cars, or deal drugs, or shoot cops might not be so fortunate.”

You've got to watch The Daily Show video (http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=70892) to see Jon's reaction, it is hilarious! If you're a fan of Jon Stewart it'll have you rolling!

Snake
06-22-2006, 09:45 PM
I watched that yesterday, good stuff. I was surprised that one of the guys has played civ IV, thats pretty cool.

Varcan
06-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Hehe, that was great! I'll give the Civ 4 guy props for being in touch with reality in the gaming world aswell. However, I really hope he was playing on Prince lvl or above; otherwise, I have serious doubts about the leadership of our country:p .

Navid
06-22-2006, 10:33 PM
wow I actually LOL'ed, like the real LOL (its funny I saw a stat the other day that made me laugh, 1 out of like 30 aol users that used that and where polled acually laughed out loud when they use it)

Anyway that was funny...congress....pure comedy gold.

Fang
06-22-2006, 11:19 PM
not sure what bothers me more... the fact that they can hold a straight face while they act like idiots on national TV... or that we pay them to do it

Giftmacher
06-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Very funny, especially the "I'm concerned about my children" bit. Sometimes I think people don't realise how silly some of the things they say sound.

Gift.

Bonechip
06-23-2006, 09:23 PM
These are the same bunch of idiots that (back in the day) came out and said that everyone that played Dungeons and Dragons were satan worshipers.

How out of touch with reality can they get... well I guess that video "demon"strates it...

:ninja:

Vuren
06-24-2006, 05:55 PM
in nebraska defense lee terry is from omaha and we all know that omaha doesn't count, we want it to go away.

Ylyrra
06-25-2006, 10:48 AM
the part I found hilarious is the guy who said he was something of a gamer himself.. by playing pong.. and then making the blip sounds. And then Jon's reaction to it had me rolling.

Yly