PDA

View Full Version : GameSpy State of the Game Reviews

Dillgaar
07-20-2006, 02:28 PM
1880GameSpy has posted a few nifty tidbits of information for the MMO community in the form of State of the Gamer reviews, giving up to date information on games including where they are, where they have been, and where they are going.

If you are looking into hopping on an MMO while waiting for Vanguard: Saga of Heroes to release or for your coveted spot in beta, check out how these other games are doing. There may be some old lands that could be worth a second look.

City of Heroes/Villains (http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/715/715436p1.html)

D&D Online: Stormreach (http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/713/713764p1.html)

Everquest II (http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/719/719767p1.html)

Spirit
07-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Sony desperately needs to work on replayability in EQ2 now. It's simply boring to level up more than one good, or more than one evil race, as you encounter the same quests, same mobs, same loot, same zones.

Sony's biggest mistake was only having two starting cities -- I'd go so far as to say there were only two races in EQ2, one good, one bad. Shared xp debt is (and was) easily removed. Same for locked encounters. But the prospect of facing The Down Below > Antonica > Thundering Steppes > etc twice is mind numbing. WoW has many strong features, but my favourite by far was the numerous starting areas for different races. It was just *fun* to have alts.

Woland
07-21-2006, 10:12 PM
The two starting towns idea was interesting in theory, didnt quite pan out in gameplay.

Sicca
07-22-2006, 03:10 AM
I can only agree to that.

I started playing EQ2 when it was released, and i think i started as a priest then ended up choosing Mystic, and i played to around mid 20's and then my free month ended, and i decided i would not subscribe to the game.

Then i went back after WoW got bored, i started a new char, this time in Freeport, this time it was a necromancer, and played it to around mid to high 30's, now i got bored with the necromancer, and wanted to make a couple of alts, to see what class would fit me the best, and everytime i left the refuge isle, the game just seemed dull.

Only having to choose between FP and Qeynos, was really the thing that got me the most i think.

After playing WoW, and then starting up EQ2, choppy and zoning really gets to me, i always felt that the world in EQ2 was too small, and looking for group for hours everytime really made things uninteresting.

Now think about it, if EQ2 had a complete make over with class/race restrictions, more seamless, less magic particles, starting town for each races, more content from 1 to 45 or so, guild battles in the arenas or battlegrounds, boats, who can forget about boats, it would certainly spice things up alot. (wishful thinking)

I dont know why i never really felt part of the world in EQ2, i never got the same feeling i did when i played EQ1 or WoW, i guess it could have been that the models and world was just different than anything else i had ever experienced, like it was more of a doll world than it was a fantasy world.

On the other hand, with Vanguard the models and the world just seem more appealing when comparing it to other fantasy games/books, i think the models in Vanguard look alot more like EQ1 but much better, so im just hoping it will turn out alot better :D

One more thing, i never liked the way SoE throws out expansions so fast, i mean we are already paying each month to play, why not release some free content aswell, atleast that would leave with some satisfied customers, they could learn alot from WoW on that matter.

I never had any problems with patcher and server issue from SoE, so im very happy they will be working with Sigil in that deparment :D

Just my 2cp.