PDA

View Full Version : WoW Expansion Breaks PC Game Sales Record

Labyrrinth
01-23-2007, 12:52 PM
It probably comes as no surprise to most of you, but Gamasutra is reporting that “ Representatives from Blizzard Entertainment have announced that The Burning Crusade, the first expansion to its enormously successful World of Warcraft MMO, has broken day-one sales records to become the fastest selling PC game in North America and Europe.”

That’s a lot of sales. (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12488)

Bregalad
01-23-2007, 01:34 PM
I am surprised it's that low. I'd think about anyone actively playing WoW would have BC pre-purchased long ago.

I'll venture those first-day sale numbers represents number of people actually playing. Makes you kinda wonder what the rest of those 8 million are doing...

Trillis
01-23-2007, 02:39 PM
I am surprised it's that low. I'd think about anyone actively playing WoW would have BC pre-purchased long ago.

I'll venture those first-day sale numbers represents number of people actually playing. Makes you kinda wonder what the rest of those 8 million are doing...

2.4 million sales....and 5.6 million gold farmers!

The farmers have planty of gold stored and can afford to wait a while before they get the expansion. Plus you can farm gold in the old content almost as easy as the new!

DaWolf
01-23-2007, 02:49 PM

3.5 milliion of them are in China where TBC hasn't been released yet.

RedRider
01-23-2007, 03:04 PM
I know people look for any reason to bash WoW, but 2.4 million sales in 24 hours for an expansion is incredible. This is off the 3.5 to 4.5 millions players in NA and EU only. So over 50% got the expansion in the first 24 hours, I wonder how many expansions in other games even hit the 50% mark in their lifetime.

I expect they will hit 9 million for the game in a very short time. Its not a game its an phenomena.

Zahrim
01-23-2007, 03:43 PM
I like the other story...where someone hit level 70, 24 hours after it was released.

Atoyota
01-23-2007, 04:44 PM
pretty amazing, and I hope Blizzard makes some more great games with the revenues :)

Vorta03
01-23-2007, 05:00 PM
While not a huge fan of WOW--I think it's great news, and it's success can only mean good things for Vanguard and the MMO market.

Vorta

markusan
01-23-2007, 05:06 PM
I really hope blizzard makes diablo 3 soonish.. Would be perfect when the vanguard server goes down :D

Zahrim
01-23-2007, 05:49 PM
I really hope blizzard makes diablo 3 soonish.. Would be perfect when the vanguard server goes down :D

Are you kidding, with the cow being milked of the Warcraft franchise, they'd be stupid not to make World of Starcraft.

vylo
01-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Are you kidding, with the cow being milked of the Warcraft franchise, they'd be stupid not to make World of Starcraft.

And that would be a bad thing? WoW isn't the greatest MMO to ever hit the market IMO, but it is definitely good, it just is like most of blizzard's games, awesome in the short run, lackluster or just plain bad in the long run (Diablo).

Really the only Genre Blizzard does perfectly is RTS, but the have shown they can at least hold their own in RPGs and MMOs.

Of course Sigil also has nothing to worry about. They have some of the oldest greats in the business that crafted old world EQ. They just have to keep Sony's hands off the game other then marketing. Sony is great at selling things, but actually crafting a game is another matter. They don't do that well at it, and the fact that Blizzard is wiping the floor with them is evidence of that.

Eldahir
01-24-2007, 05:28 AM
They just have to keep Sony's hands off the game other then marketing. Sony is great at selling things, but actually crafting a game is another matter.

Actually, SoE is a pathetic example of how NOT to market and advertise a game. EQ2 is pretty good in it's current state, but SoE has absolute no frigin clue whatsoever how to market a game. If they did, EQ2's subs would probably be twice higher. At least in Europe, their marketing is right next to nonexistant.

I fully expect same to happen with Vanguard if Sigil leaves marketing and advertising to that crap company.

Anyway, about the OP news there, I think it's great that TBC has high sales numbers. Chances are the kids are staying in WoW then, good for us.

vylo
01-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Sadly, the "wow kid" stereotype is something that I have found to be all too accurate. Most of the people I have met, and/or guilded with have been under the age of 18, which isn't to say that is inherently bad, but the maturity level was severely lacking. I'm all for jokes and silliness, but knowing when to stop is good. Having it sound like a circus during a raid is frustrating to say the least, and they get very vindictive when they receive punishment for poor behavior, even if they were warned several times in advance to desist.

Suraknar
01-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Well..one thing is for sure, Blizzard knows how to turn any news to positive news, and they know how to appeal to the uninformed crowd that is not always made up of kids, yet most always impressionable.

For instance, when they announced 7 million subscribers, I was part of that number, yet I cancelled my account a month later, they did not announce "hey we are down to 6,5 million now" (assuming I as not the only one that cancelled), so everyone remains with the impression that they have a huge customer base.

Same with this announcement, they say it exceeds their expectations, while in reality, this very same announcement is used to get more to buy TBC.

I learned that in the server I used to play 44 hours post launch there were already characters at level 70, with flying mounts...and then what?

That is why i quit that game, it has no continuity or tools to permit continuity, its about leveling toons, and gearing them but nothing else. In reality, they dont really need that cntinuity because younger players are not seeking it, they are content with having reached the podium and then are pleased to walk around as Celebities, little do they know it is but an illusion, but even that does not matter, because there is pleasure for as long as it lasts for them.

Vanguard, has much post-leveling content, in terms of in-game community, it has continuity, yet that appeals to more mature audiance, it will be a while before it becomes big as WOW, but it will. :)

freyaldo
01-24-2007, 06:18 PM
2,4 mil out of 8 mil

I need more info but only 33% of all gamers buying an exp from an mmo feels very low to me, sure it's first day, but still.
People that want it pre-order it, and still have it from day 1.

Just because they have sold 2.4 mil wich is more than eq2, doesn't mean much to me if they claim to have 8 mil subs.

niack
01-24-2007, 10:35 PM
"Most of the people I have met, and/or guilded with have been under the age of 18, which isn't to say that is inherently bad, but the maturity level was severely lacking."

They did a survey awhile ago adn the average age was around 24 to 26 years old.....Yeah they have their share of younger players but its not as much as you think.....As for BC someone said earlier that it is not avaialbe in Asia yet so taht is like half their subscribers....Vanguard will do OK at launch but I would ahve liked their chances better 2 months later after BC has died down a little and Vanguard was more settled.

Marzguitarz
01-24-2007, 11:16 PM
I'd love to see World of Starcraft. We need more sci-fi MMORPG's. I was thinking that sooner or later someone smart is going to make Star Trek online. How many people would LOVE to play a KLINGON?

Dreezer
01-24-2007, 11:59 PM
http://www.startrekonline.com/
http://www.stargateworlds.com/

xphenix
01-25-2007, 05:17 AM
Released plans for World of Starcraft : http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/06/16

Vanguard won't be able to reach WoW numbers for a simple fatal flaw : the required specs are too high even serious people which I know are interested and would buy it back off when they see all they need to update in their comlputers, the others are just buying new ones but that's only a part of Vanguard customer base.

Jaraqcole
01-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I have played World of Warcraft since it's beginning and find some comments interesting at best. The comment I find most interesting is about age. I am not really sure what age one becomes where it becomes important to bash younger ages. I have been in Vanguard since beta 2 and have visited with many people and listened to conversations. It is mind boggling to me that many use "age" as a way to degrade or step on someone else. What does age really matter? I know 12 yr olds that would fool you by their show of maturity and respect in game to you thinking they are much older. I know 40 yr olds that are the epitamy of immaturity.

It is always stated World of Warcraft is filled with kids and alas it probably is and yet in all my time playing the average age of which I play with in 3 guilds was upper 20's. The average maturity lvl was average to poor. I guess this speaks volumes to putting a human being behind the protectiveness of a keyboard and no real way to hold em accountable.

My experience in Vanguard has been quite similar to Wow. I have grouped with and spoken with average age lvls of later 20's. The average maturity lvl in Vanguard has been average to poor. One of the most immature people I have met in any MMO, I ran across in Vanguard. He stated he was age 51. Now grant it, who really knows his age but my point is this... why make the age thing a way to try to step on and above people to try and hold yourself in some way better than the rest? I propose to the age complainers, let your conduct and respect of people around you in this environment hold you up and seperate from the rest. Act as if you actually could be held accountable and that it really was you in game.

I will be switching to Vanguard on the 26th and look forward to the game. I know I will run across the same kind of people in Vanguard that I did in Wow and that is not even remotely a part of the equation as to why I am moving to Vanguard. I look forward to new experiences, perhaps a more complex game, and maybe a different end gaming experience than Wow offered. This once again is not because Wow was bad, in fact, I had fun with Wow, but rather I just need something else.. more perhaps.

Just for the record, I am in the 30+ category in terms of age. It would be my hope that my maturity lvl is in the 70+ category.

Side-Show
01-27-2007, 12:39 AM
. I know I will run across the same kind of people in Vanguard that I did in Wow

sadly, its true. its only been one day since the game went semi-live, and i have seen more rude behavior than i did in all my time in beta. heck, i would say that today, i have seen more jerks than i ever saw in 6yrs of EQ. i dunno what the deal is, but all i can say is, it didnt take long for asshats to spread their joy in a new place.

- training.. check
- mob ganking.. check
- every named mob in low level areas camped by one high level person.. check
- people spamming/abusing chat.. check
- general asshattery.. check
still a great game. just disappointed by the way the community is starting off.

oh, and not suprised about the wow expansion. some people will buy anything.

Broomhilda
01-27-2007, 01:25 AM
The sales of TBC are indeed impressive and I for one am happy for it's success. I play WOW and I love the game. Like anywhere there is immaturity, but as someone has already stated, it is no more or less than anywhere else. I am in a guild of adults and we have a great time.

I too used to make fun of WOW...until I tried it. I find the art direction to be amazing and the quests/raiding to be excellent. I too was headed to VG until things in my life changed (new job promotion) and the ability to sit in front of a pc game for 5 hours straight raiding became too diificult. WOW allows me freedom to group and to solo. The solo aspect of the game is probably its biggest lure...you can log on, chat, have fun and yet still accomplish something alone. I play healers and simply wouldnt feel right having to bail on a group because I have work from the office I need to review. This soloability was the final selling point for me. I had some friends on EVE Online that went to WOW (and EVE has got to be one of the most mature MMO communities out there ) and I decided to dump EQ2 and join them. Havent looked back since.

Im keeping my eye on VG though, as at one time, this game seemed to be the ultimate to me. As my life changed however, I cannot enter a game that is group dependent to the extent VG seems to be. Im looking forward to hearing about how it develops however.

Have fun!

bronstahd
01-27-2007, 04:05 AM
sadly, its true. its only been one day since the game went semi-live, and i have seen more rude behavior than i did in all my time in beta. heck, i would say that today, i have seen more jerks than i ever saw in 6yrs of EQ. i dunno what the deal is, but all i can say is, it didnt take long for asshats to spread their joy in a new place.

- training.. check
- mob ganking.. check
- every named mob in low level areas camped by one high level person.. check
- people spamming/abusing chat.. check
- general asshattery.. check
still a great game. just disappointed by the way the community is starting off.

oh, and not suprised about the wow expansion. some people will buy anything.

Really? That sucks. I've only had one person KS me so far and they apologized immediately (no, I'm not announcing myself as a dev even :P). I still am optimistic...

Ellestil
01-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Really? That sucks. I've only had one person KS me so far and they apologized immediately (no, I'm not announcing myself as a dev even :P). I still am optimistic...

So far I've had a positive experience on my server as well. Then again, my guild picked a server that didn't have a flashy name just for that reason. The crappier a server name the better I say lol.

bakavic
01-27-2007, 06:06 PM
So far, the prerelease community has suprised me. Sure, there was spamming and general crap behavior brewing, that is unavoidable. I also saw people doing drive by buffing and healing, answering questions, and even giving out free loot, all signs of a good community to come.

As for WoW, I played it for a year, to be with my guild. I made a lot of new friends there, but on a whole, greed seems to run rampant. Quite a few people have dubbed this "purple fever", purple being the color code of the epic loots. This "purple fever" have reduced grown men and women into babbling, scheming lootmongers. With this said, I'm guessing that when people mock the age of wow players, it is referring more to how old or young the player is acting, and not the actual age.

One thing that shocked me alot, was the fact that many people within the game industry are huge "asshats" while in game. I'm a game designer, and in the company I work for, many of my coworkers, while normal in real life, acts like crap while in game. I have asked some of them why the behavioral change, and many of their replies were "we make games also, we know how to do things in games better than them" or similiar responses. I find it both funny and absurd that some of these people actually enter a state of hubris not just for their own game, but for others.

Ok, I think I have gone off topic long enough. Back to the original topic, I feel that it is a good thing that TBC is doing so well; not just for Blizzard, but for the entire MMORPG community as well. Of all these people exposed to TBC, an mmorpg, many of these people will probably be curious to other games in the same genre, and will go look it up. Maybe some of them will read about this game, and be intriqued enough to pick it up and give it a try.

eronakis
01-27-2007, 09:58 PM

lol

Pixi
01-28-2007, 10:54 AM

I've had no big issues yet either. Allthough I really and truly hope that the behaviour of the community comes closer to EQ than WoW. Stuff like "camp check" and such. I never really understood why simple politeness like that never took the step out of EQ. It seems everywhere you turn in other games it's all "they don't recognize camps" and "it's free for all". You know?

Sure, everyone should have equal opportunities but that doesn't mean it's ok to just step in and go for it when it's obvious there are people there already. Some simple courtesy goes a long way.

I guess we'll find out eventually. :)

Pixi
01-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Then again, my guild picked a server that didn't have a flashy name just for that reason. The crappier a server name the better I say lol.

Lol! I did the very same thing. :D

panther553212
02-07-2007, 01:46 AM
I have played World of Warcraft since it's beginning and find some comments interesting at best. The comment I find most interesting is about age. I am not really sure what age one becomes where it becomes important to bash younger ages. I have been in Vanguard since beta 2 and have visited with many people and listened to conversations. It is mind boggling to me that many use "age" as a way to degrade or step on someone else. What does age really matter? I know 12 yr olds that would fool you by their show of maturity and respect in game to you thinking they are much older. I know 40 yr olds that are the epitamy of immaturity.

It is always stated World of Warcraft is filled with kids and alas it probably is and yet in all my time playing the average age of which I play with in 3 guilds was upper 20's. The average maturity lvl was average to poor. I guess this speaks volumes to putting a human being behind the protectiveness of a keyboard and no real way to hold em accountable.

My experience in Vanguard has been quite similar to Wow. I have grouped with and spoken with average age lvls of later 20's. The average maturity lvl in Vanguard has been average to poor. One of the most immature people I have met in any MMO, I ran across in Vanguard. He stated he was age 51. Now grant it, who really knows his age but my point is this... why make the age thing a way to try to step on and above people to try and hold yourself in some way better than the rest? I propose to the age complainers, let your conduct and respect of people around you in this environment hold you up and seperate from the rest. Act as if you actually could be held accountable and that it really was you in game.

I will be switching to Vanguard on the 26th and look forward to the game. I know I will run across the same kind of people in Vanguard that I did in Wow and that is not even remotely a part of the equation as to why I am moving to Vanguard. I look forward to new experiences, perhaps a more complex game, and maybe a different end gaming experience than Wow offered. This once again is not because Wow was bad, in fact, I had fun with Wow, but rather I just need something else.. more perhaps.

Just for the record, I am in the 30+ category in terms of age. It would be my hope that my maturity lvl is in the 70+ category.

In general age is a good frame of reference to maturity. Are all kids immature? No. Are most kids immatuer? Yes. One thing I think you will see with Vanguard that you don't see with WOW is the difficutly weeding out some of the less mature players. You will see this in two ways. Players quitting because the game is "too hard" for them and players who people know by word of mouth to avoid grouping with them.

Aschlar
02-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Back to the subject at hand...WoW breaks sales records.
I started MMo's at Meridian 59 and MUDs before that.
EQ in starting in March of '99
EQ - 66 enchanter - 62 Cleric - 65 Warrior
DAOC 3 chars to 50 on 2 accounts
EQ2 - 70 Inquisitor - 62 Guardian
WoW - 70 Warrior.

Looking back at the fun and newness of the different worlds, content, and people that Ive met along the way I would have to say that WoW, based on cleaness of code (not buggy) and content (things to do) is the VERY best I've seen. The expansion (TBC) is nothing less than amazing just in the fact that it is about 99% bug free (my experience with it anyway) at launch and contains enough to keep a 4 hour a day player (me) busy for quite some time. Blizzard also seems to like their customers and treat them as such, something I have found quite lacking with Sony (this includes the early EQ Brad McQuaid era).

TBC is the first WoW expansion in 2 years or so. EQ2 is on its 5th release and I have friends there who claim its finally becoming a decent game. $200.00 in software charges to get there not to mention monthly's.

I have also been waiting a long time for Vanguard and have high hopes for it, although I have no plans to pay to play beta code codenamed releasable. My Collectors Edition box still has the plastic wrap on it with my Psionist holding at level 8 (3 days of play). Vanguard will rock the world eventually, until then WoW is still the best game I have seen, thus sales records!

Aschlar - laughs as people drop their purple for TBC greens :)