PDA

View Full Version : Gen Con in So. Calif is Cancelled

Labyrrinth
01-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Here's a snippet from the press release (http://www.gencon.com/2007/socal/press/press-release.aspx), "In order to make the best use of the companies staff and resources, Gen Con, LLC announces that it is canceling itsí show in Anaheim, Gen Con So Cal. The decision to do so was made after extensive deliberation, thought and time."

Navid
01-28-2007, 06:59 PM
The decision to do so was made after extensive deliberation, thought and time.

those parts always make me laugh, like their gunna say "We kinda just decided it on the fly one morning when we were half drunk and remembered that we had promised these 2 hot chicks that would would take them to Cancun"

Tyen
01-29-2007, 11:19 AM
GenCon is eh, E3 is where it's at.

Vengeful
01-29-2007, 11:57 AM
GenCon is eh, E3 is where it's at.

Yeah...too bad E3 has been totally nerfed.

Smaller venue, Developers, Publishers, and Distributers only. By super special secret invite.

No "I work at EB games and my manager gave me the tickets" invites anymore. No more "I run an internet comic about video games so I get to go to E3 as 'press'" invites anymore.

From here on out, the only gamer convention on the West Coast is PAX.

Glip the Gnome
01-29-2007, 01:47 PM
GenCon hasn't been the same since it left Milwaukee for Indianapolis. I think losing the SoCal GenCon though will go a long way towards making the real one feel more 'special' again.

Dillgaar
01-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Being from wisconsin I must say thet Gen Con was by far one of the greatest things to happen to the dairy state... It is sorely missed and I can barely bring myself to even think of having to go elsewhere for it...

TSR was founded here in Lake Geneva and without the continuance of traditions, the gaming history, which eventually led to all of us being here right now, will most likely disappear as I know the Wisconsin gaming pride has.

Vengeful
01-29-2007, 07:28 PM
GenCon hasn't been the same since it left Milwaukee for Indianapolis. I think losing the SoCal GenCon though will go a long way towards making the real one feel more 'special' again.

That may be...but I live in So Cal and have yet been able to make a Gen Con. Looks like I won't get to go ever unless I have a real excuse.

Such is life, I guess. I'll just have to hold my own little gaming convention like I always do.....

....with my DMG.

...in the privy.

Grizzle
02-01-2007, 04:13 PM

I agree, I was born and raised in Milwaukee (have a UWM Pathers shirt on as i type this!) and Gen Con was always the greatest thing ever. Many a day playing battletech and later Magic the Gathering. Pity it left too, they did so right after the fancy new convention center went in.