PDA

View Full Version : Diplomacy "Buffed" or bugged?

Contact
02-01-2007, 10:15 PM
So, as of yesterday, I was doing civic diplomacy in Tursh with ~70 skill. I could easily handle many of the parlays where the NPC had 75 skill, and I could usually do the level 100 NPCs. I logged in tonight and I haven't won a parlay yet, using various strategies against several 75 skill NPCs.

Anybody else notice anything similar?

Contact
02-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Update: I cannot even handle 50 skill mobs. :(

Khaunshar
02-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Skill level doesnt really affect much. Only the number of influence the NPC needs to win, but usually if its beyond 6 or 7, you either win, or you lose regardless. I have 120 skill, and even quested 2 cards, yet I am unable to win some 50 skill parleys in Khal as a dark elf, simply because their deck is constructed in a way I cannot counter.

Forget about skill rating etc., just trial and error till you find someone you can beat, then repeat ad infinitum.

dargath
02-02-2007, 12:27 AM
they changed the decks greatly, an dnow most npcs have different decks so it takes a good long while of failure to develope winenrs as each will timeout...

Faite
02-02-2007, 07:55 AM
they changed the decks greatly, an dnow most npcs have different decks so it takes a good long while of failure to develope winenrs as each will timeout...

I did diplolmacy in beta and thought"Wow this is really fun, yet challenging"

Started it back up yesterday and I almost quit the game lol (i know childish but i was THAT frustrated) Obviously I came to my senses but they did make it too hard now. I think they could have made it a bit harder than before (though I did find it challenging before) but yet not to the point where just tne 'beginner' quest series has me stumped.

I honestly CAN NOT get this Mellion Spiritwalker guy to tell me his vision.

I have tried every combo, everything can think of.

Any hints? I will see if anyone else is having issues with the wood elf starter line.

Mithrull
02-02-2007, 08:20 AM
You're not alone. Fortunately they seem to be aware of it and have said that the 50-75 NPCs will be reworked. I don't envy them the task of balancing diplomacy.

Faite
02-02-2007, 08:42 AM
You're not alone. Fortunately they seem to be aware of it and have said that the 50-75 NPCs will be reworked. I don't envy them the task of balancing diplomacy.

It seemed fine when i played in the start of open beta....it was not 'that' easy but was just hard enough to be fun too.

Now its just mind numbing. You can set up a really good set of cards only to have it not work, then later just guess your way through as if you put no thought into it.

Im pretty sure this game is not supposed to be about guessing but about using diplomacy.

locherbread
02-02-2007, 10:19 AM
My guess is the devs reckoned it was way too easy, so to keep the diploamcy to a select few BIG brained dudes, so they upped the difficulty to an extreme level cutting out the majority of us & leaving a select few to enjoy their challenge...

I was enjoying diplomacy immensely, now its a chore & I loose way too much faction to bother working out whith cards to use with which NPC's :-(

kylehug
02-02-2007, 11:02 AM
now its a chore & I loose way too much faction to bother working out with cards to use with which NPC's :-(

I know what you mean at the rate I'm going I'll be kos in my own city by tomorrow :confused:

I finished the newbie line of diplomacy quests and am only at 41 skill. I thought that was the problem I was having when going up against 50 skill Civic parleys, but if even 75 skill people can't beat them it is obvious that there is a bigger problem here.

Thats really too bad considering that diplomacy was the a big selling point for me with this game. Like the previous poster I loved it in beta, but it seems like they unessasarily changed it and now it's become nothing more than a grind to loose faction (and self esteem :P).

Now diplomacy isn't really worth doing, which cuts it out of the game for people and turns Vanguard into being just like every other MMO out there right now. Diplomacy is the big, new thing that this game is supposed to offer to new players at low levels (till they're ghigh enough for boats and flying mounts obviously). Oh well might just have to shelf it till they can get the issues resolved.

Faite
02-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I know what you mean at the rate I'm going I'll be kos in my own city by tomorrow :confused:

I finished the newbie line of diplomacy quests and am only at 41 skill. I thought that was the problem I was having when going up against 50 skill Civic parleys, but if even 75 skill people can't beat them it is obvious that there is a bigger problem here.

Thats really too bad considering that diplomacy was the a big selling point for me with this game. Like the previous poster I loved it in beta, but it seems like they unessasarily changed it and now it's become nothing more than a grind to loose faction (and self esteem :P).

Now diplomacy isn't really worth doing, which cuts it out of the game for people and turns Vanguard into being just like every other MMO out there right now. Diplomacy is the big, new thing that this game is supposed to offer to new players at low levels (till they're ghigh enough for boats and flying mounts obviously). Oh well might just have to shelf it till they can get the issues resolved.

I was going to say just scale it to level. I mean from say 1 to 40 have it be like in beta where it was hard but fun. Then, as you progress up higher and learn the ropes and the tricks, start to add difficulty until you reach this 'high end' difficulty that some are craving. By all means don't make it a cake walk but just make it real diplomacy where if you are diplomatic , you are successful. Im finding guessing is almost as good as figuring out a real scheme LOL. Thats not good.

I did not feel that way before.....just recently.

grape
02-02-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm going to try crafting a bit. Diplomacy seems to much in flux at this time to get into it without getting fustrated, or to the point of loosing so much faction .

Faite
02-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm going to try crafting a bit. Diplomacy seems to much in flux at this time to get into it without getting fustrated, or to the point of loosing so much faction .

ditto, i only realized today this affects other things, can't afford to do it. I don't mind risk vs reward but this is just risk all the way.

Contact
02-02-2007, 05:56 PM
I know that SOME NPCs are going to have decks that I cannot handle, but the fact is is that THESE particular NPCs I know I could handle before February. I had refined my tactics against those particular NPCs to the point where I could walk up to them, adjust my decks accordingly and beat them. Now I cannot beat them at all.

So yes, I think that diplomacy was in fact "buffed." I just wish they would have mentioned that diplomacy was getting tweaked as significantly as it appears to have gotten.

Faite
02-02-2007, 10:04 PM
I know that SOME NPCs are going to have decks that I cannot handle, but the fact is is that THESE particular NPCs I know I could handle before February. I had refined my tactics against those particular NPCs to the point where I could walk up to them, adjust my decks accordingly and beat them. Now I cannot beat them at all.

So yes, I think that diplomacy was in fact "buffed." I just wish they would have mentioned that diplomacy was getting tweaked as significantly as it appears to have gotten.

its ok to buff the higher tier but not sure why they would buff the under 20 stuff even, we have to learn it somehow....and if you can not succeed very much without hurting your rep etc you can not learn.

Anyway Im hanging it up until something changes, not so much easier as making more sense and following a line of learning.