PDA

View Full Version : CB Diplomacy Starter Quests Bugged or Too much?

Faite
02-02-2007, 08:01 AM
I am a wood elf in CB, I did ok on the first round but got to Mellion to find out his 'vision' and honestly Ive been trying since ysterday and it is almost like I am missing an important card which I don't think I am but not sure since I am starting at this.

I can not get him to tell me, he just takes over the game and I can't get it back no matter how sly or crafty or even NICE or any of my skills I try to be lol. Nothing works.....

Can anyone at least maybe give me a hint to what I do with this guy?

:( Its a starter/beginning quest and Ive been on it now almost 24 hours.

Would appreciate even hints that might help me figure out what it is I do wrong with him. I had the same issues with the citizens getting them to tell me about the other guy but eventually I got a right combo but honestly it seemedd more by luck than skill......when I tried to apply some skill it seemed to backfire so I just kept changing things around til I got it.

Faite
02-02-2007, 08:06 AM
I am a wood elf in CB, I did ok on the first round but got to Mellion to find out his 'vision' and honestly Ive been trying since ysterday and it is almost like I am missing an important card which I don't think I am but not sure since I am starting at this.

I can not get him to tell me, he just takes over the game and I can't get it back no matter how sly or crafty or even NICE or any of my skills I try to be lol. Nothing works.....

Can anyone at least maybe give me a hint to what I do with this guy?

:( Its a starter/beginning quest and Ive been on it now almost 24 hours.

Would appreciate even hints that might help me figure out what it is I do wrong with him. I had the same issues with the citizens getting them to tell me about the other guy but eventually I got a right combo but honestly it seemedd more by luck than skill......when I tried to apply some skill it seemed to backfire so I just kept changing things around til I got it.

LOL ok this is what I mean about skill....I just finally beat him but no skill involved, no wise moves, nope, just pure guessing and 'um lets see ill try this !!

And it worked but I feel let down a bit that it was more just a guess than me using what i thought were good moves.

Oh well! Ill move on and see if I figure something out.

I am still not quite getting it I guess.

dustmite
02-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Hopefully someone will write a really good holding hand Diplomacy for Dummies tutorial that explains things for those of us who don't 'get it'. Everything I've read kind of generalizes the basics and jumps to the meat too fast.

I understand the rules, but still can't understand some of the strategy and have given up diplomacy until I can.

It must be a right brain left brain thing, some understand immediately, others don't. When it clicks I'm bet it will be an 'oh surrrrre, I should have realized that' kind of thing and all will be clear.

Lizard
02-02-2007, 10:25 AM
There is a strong element of skill and learning, but there is also a significant element of luck -- some 'impossible' parleys can be won when you get low refresh times and he gets high, and no other way.

Some 'skill' tips:

Look at what colors he uses, then make sure to deny them, if you can.
Sometimes, it's best to 'listen' until you can play three or more Influence-giving cards in succession.

Always look at what colors are available in a parley and adjust your Strategy accordingly.

The AI seems to be programmed to see what colors you have 'a lot of' and play to screw you out of them. Against some opponents, simply using a multi-color Strategy (at least three) seems to fry their AI, and if you're careful, you can get the slider on your side in the first move and then do nothing but Listen, since their coding seems to keep them from playing anything which would give you Expression you need...so they just sit there, locked in a loop. As long as YOU don't play anything to give them fuel, THEY won't play anything on you. I haven't fully figured out which opponents have these decks/AI, but this strategy has worked well on a lot of 'em who beat the pants off me if I tried to play too actively. Remember that stupid old adage about having two ears and one mouth. Listen can be your friend.

Look for combos. My current Strategy uses Snippet of Wisdom, Greasing the Wheels, Itemized Comparison, and (I think) Sly Whisper. I have gloves which give me +1 Reason. So I play Greasing the Wheels at the start, which gives me a total of 2 flattery and 2 reason, which lets me play Itemized, Whisper, and Snippet in quick succession, usually in that order. That gives me a total of 8 influence over three turns, often enough to get me a commanding lead.

Try not to rely on him giving you Expression. Bastards are tighter than a....insert lewd euphemism here. Make sure you can pump your own cards and not count on him.

Look a refresh times. A card which gives you 2 influence every other turn is better than one which gives you 3 every four turns.

Faite
02-02-2007, 11:50 AM
There is a strong element of skill and learning, but there is also a significant element of luck -- some 'impossible' parleys can be won when you get low refresh times and he gets high, and no other way.

Some 'skill' tips:

Look at what colors he uses, then make sure to deny them, if you can.
Sometimes, it's best to 'listen' until you can play three or more Influence-giving cards in succession.

Always look at what colors are available in a parley and adjust your Strategy accordingly.

The AI seems to be programmed to see what colors you have 'a lot of' and play to screw you out of them. Against some opponents, simply using a multi-color Strategy (at least three) seems to fry their AI, and if you're careful, you can get the slider on your side in the first move and then do nothing but Listen, since their coding seems to keep them from playing anything which would give you Expression you need...so they just sit there, locked in a loop. As long as YOU don't play anything to give them fuel, THEY won't play anything on you. I haven't fully figured out which opponents have these decks/AI, but this strategy has worked well on a lot of 'em who beat the pants off me if I tried to play too actively. Remember that stupid old adage about having two ears and one mouth. Listen can be your friend.

Look for combos. My current Strategy uses Snippet of Wisdom, Greasing the Wheels, Itemized Comparison, and (I think) Sly Whisper. I have gloves which give me +1 Reason. So I play Greasing the Wheels at the start, which gives me a total of 2 flattery and 2 reason, which lets me play Itemized, Whisper, and Snippet in quick succession, usually in that order. That gives me a total of 8 influence over three turns, often enough to get me a commanding lead.

Try not to rely on him giving you Expression. Bastards are tighter than a....insert lewd euphemism here. Make sure you can pump your own cards and not count on him.

Look a refresh times. A card which gives you 2 influence every other turn is better than one which gives you 3 every four turns.

wooosh!! Lizard thank you but that all just went straight over my head.

Im wondering if a lot of us having issues are just not 'getting it' because what you just said was like me reading japanese LOL. I must admit in Beta I was all jazzed because it seemed that if I made a wise choice the choice responded.
If I made a dumb choice, it made sense that I would fail.

As i said now, its like no matter what its just blind luck.

I think its too hard for newbs, but that once you hit whatever the magic level is it should be darn hard, just not as we learn it....we can't learn it if we can't succeed to see what works and what doesn't.

Ill try back in a few days but as it stands I dont want to overdo it and end up so mad that I quit LOL. Seriously, its that bad for me now.

Lizard
02-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Im wondering if a lot of us having issues are just not 'getting it' because what you just said was like me reading japanese LOL. I must admit in Beta I was all jazzed because it seemed that if I made a wise choice the choice responded.
If I made a dumb choice, it made sense that I would fail.

Ignore the card names. The only thing which matters is the counter. Every turn the counter is on your side, you get a dialog snippet, and the snippet is the same no matter what card you played. So don't think "Gee, should I be aggressive or flattering?" in that sense. Just play the game as an abstract card game, and not as an attempt to have an actual debate. You can't really "talk" to the NPCs, they have one single track of dialog they give you.

Faite
02-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Ignore the card names. The only thing which matters is the counter. Every turn the counter is on your side, you get a dialog snippet, and the snippet is the same no matter what card you played. So don't think "Gee, should I be aggressive or flattering?" in that sense. Just play the game as an abstract card game, and not as an attempt to have an actual debate. You can't really "talk" to the NPCs, they have one single track of dialog they give you.

Yea this is my first lesson LOL. I am trying to be too diplomatic.