News    Guild    Options    More
Forums:   Guild,    Games,    Hardware,    Misc
Home 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 Forum Home > Silky Venom Guild Forums > Guild Lobby > Guild Structure?

Old 06-01-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
Lyrral

Default Guild Structure?

Okies, Oloh... Lay it out for me... how is the guild leadership going to be structured?

Curiosity is starting to kill me.

Wait? Does that make me a cat?

Lyrral

Lyrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
Oloh
Administrator

Name: Oloh

Guild structure will be pretty simple. I will make the rules and determine essentially the who, what, where, when and how of Silky Venom. It is that simple.

The reason the structure is set up that way is simply because it works. I wont log on and say "so what do you want to do tonight?" I will pick something during the day (or several days before) and that will be it. If you think we should be doing something else more often, I will certainly listen and debate and engage in intelligent conversation, but the bottom line is that eventually you need someone to say "here is the deal." And to be quite frank, I am the only one that I trust to make the right decisions on a daily basis.

That doesnt mean that we wont have officers and that the officers will all have roles and authority and abilities, but each of those will be subject to one person's leadership...namely, mine. Each of those positions will be made according to the needs of the game and time committments required.

I am not trying to sound arrogant or self-important, but I just think that folks are entitled to know how things will really work, rather than the thin veil that some people deem "guild structure."

Oloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:50 PM   #3
Lyrral

Fair enough. I guess my question is will your officers have specific speheres of influence? Or will they just be general officers?

Lyrral

Old 06-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #4
Laurel

Actually, I find it pretty refreshing to have you speak in plain, no-nonsense terms, Oloh. It gives me a much better picture of what Silky Venom is going to look like.

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
Oloh
Administrator

Name: Oloh

Mismanaged expectations are the number one problem with guilds. Folks are lead to believe one thing, and then get another...and that leaves them looking around thinking "wtf."

The officership question is a fair question, and one I give a lot of thought to, but the best approach i think is to see what time I have...if i cant do it, make an officer that is in charge of getting it done. If the person turns out to not share the same ideals as to how I see Silky Venom operating, we can find a new one.

In a world as unstructured and transient as even the best MMOG, consistancy is king. Like it or hate it, Silky Venom will be what Silky Venom will be, and I want folks that look at these posts and think "OMG, RIGHT ON!!!"

Oloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:13 PM   #6
Lyrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oloh
In a world as unstructured and transient as even the best MMOG, consistancy is king. Like it or hate it, Silky Venom will be what Silky Venom will be, and I want folks that look at these posts and think "OMG, RIGHT ON!!!"
I for one all ready do. I am such a forum slut that I try to limit the number of forums I visit and SV is one I visit somewhat regularly.

All said and done, you got yourself a groupie, Oloh.

Lyrral

Old 08-07-2005, 04:13 AM   #7
Eclipse
I <3 Pumpkin Pie

*shameless plug*

OMG RIGHT ON!!

*end shameless plug*

-Eclipse

Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 03:59 AM   #8
Integral

Most MMO guilds flounder in mediocrity, that's the plain truth. No offense to the casual players here.

I think Oloh has the right idea. The best guilds are those rare ones where the synergy of a leader who keeps a level head and takes decisions (sometimes tough ones) while the members feed off that collective vision while reinforcing collective interests.

Most guilds are "jack of all, master of none" affairs in the area of decision making, the lack of a vision for the guild is what makes this state of affairs come about.

It all looks pretty interesting, reading what i have about SV.
Send a message via Yahoo to Integral

"What makes the desert beautiful," said the little prince, "is that somewhere it hides a well..." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Integral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:48 AM   #9
Juzam

What is nice to see is that Oloh isnt afraid to say what is on his mind. To many times in past guilds with other so called "Hardcore" guild leaders they are too worried about hurting someones feelings if they say something that isnt very popular. I for one appreciate the no bullshit approach he obiously has.

Juzam

Confidence is not always being right, but not fearing to be wrong.

Juzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:15 AM   #10
Faynor

Self assured and focused don't indicate arrogance. They are both traits of leaders I have been successful with.

Faynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:39 AM   #11
Kjeil

Default Is Silky Venom recruiting?

I'm on the West coast but your playtimes are right up my alley I typically play from about 7:00 pm eastern to about 1:30 am Eastern.

Kjeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:11 AM   #12
Dillenger

Name: Rosh

i honestly said 'right on' when reading, before i saw

OMG RIGHT ON

i wasnt quite thaaaat enthusiastic
but i said it all the same!
Now recruiting pre-launch!
Welcoming the Seasoned Adventurer... The Dedicated Crafter... The Passionate Raider... and Mature Gamer!
"And the Beast was Taken...Rev 19:30" --Wolfstein, Guild Leader
http://fab-hq.com

Dillenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:04 AM   #13
Merxion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oloh
Guild structure will be pretty simple. I will make the rules and determine essentially the who, what, where, when and how of Silky Venom. It is that simple.

I wont log on and say "so what do you want to do tonight?" I will pick something during the day (or several days before) and that will be it. If you think we should be doing something else more often, snip...
Man you dont know how refreshing that is to hear. I dont know how many times I logged in wanting to raid or just to do something and hear an officer say so... what do you want to do tonight? Normally followed up with I dont know a few times and then by half the raid force going well guys going to bed.

Merxion is offline   Reply With Quote