News    Guild    Options    More
Forums:   Guild,    Games,    Hardware,    Misc
Home 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 Forum Home > Silky Venom News Discussion > Vanguard News > Fan Faire Notes for Vanguard

Old 08-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
Joodah
Silky Venom Guest Contributor

Server: Targonor
Name: Joodah

Default Fan Faire Notes for Vanguard

Here's the notes I took at the Vanguard panels at FF as requested by Laby

Vanguard: State of the Game panel Friday 8/4/07

- Update 2 will come first as it contains code needed to make the merge work.
– Merges will follow just after Update 2.
– Performance is 20-60% better on the Trial Island due to optimized art assets.
– AWP will have new loot class - “Fabled”, which is between Legendary and Heroic.
– Crafting recipes will drop in the AWP.
– AWP loot will be the best in the game.
– AWP will have a lot of Diplomacy in it as well as Adventuring.
– AWP will have “Gnomish Commandos” wandering around for Diplomacy parlays, Academic presence, and parlays will open quests and more content.
– Diplomacy will soon have “Saved Decks”.
– Spam/Gold selling filters are being worked on.
– No plans as yet for more bank space or space in houses for items, but are reviewing the subject.
– Hacks/Wall exploiting fixes are being addressed.
– Quests that are far below your level will soon appear as gray shields instead of gold.
– Pathing issues are being addressed (npc's walking over rocks/barrels, “Can't See Target”)
– Merchant clothing will start dropping soon.

Vanguard Design Panel - Saturday 8/4

– Flying mount quests will be in sooner than later.
– Thestra Web quests (diplomacy) will be in with Update 2.
– There will soon be more quests that make all three spheres useful – ones where you must get an item, and you can kill a mob for it, do diplomacy for it, or craft the item.
– Tier 4 clothing will be related to gods and lore regarding the gods.
– There will soon be diplomacy cards dropping from Adventuring mobs.
– There will be more Boss parlays for Diplomacy: Eldor in 3 Rivers will parlay and the rewards are Diplomacy clothing.
– There will be crafting in Raids – recipes and parts for the recipes will drop from raid mobs.
– There will be Diplomacy buffs in the APW.
– More Rumor/Heresay/etc brokers will be placed in more locations, as they are currently hard to find.
– “House Burser” will be appearing in game shortly – turn in prestige to get a coin that you can use to get rewards such as 32 slot Diplomacy containers.
– Places like “Hillsbury Mansion” and other places with mobs that are too close together or have impossibly high agro range will be getting a balance pass.
Live Gamer - ewww.

Last edited by Labyrrinth : 08-08-2007 at 01:40 PM.

Joodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
kohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joodah View Post
Here's the notes I took at the Vanguard panels at FF as requested by Laby .

*Fluff and broken promises snipped*
I give it 6 months minimum before any of this sees the light of day. In the mean time there will be plenty of "sorry for the delay, it needs more work" or "oops! we ran into unforeseen issues".

kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Labyrrinth
Content Mgr

Thanks a lot Joodah! You caught many things that I didn't so this definitely helps to give others an overall view as to the status of the game and what's being worked on.
Send a message via AIM to Labyrrinth

Labyrrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
Joodah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrrinth View Post
Thanks a lot Joodah! You caught many things that I didn't so this definitely helps to give others an overall view as to the status of the game and what's being worked on.
np!

Also want to add that I attended 4 VG panels, all very informative. The devs were forthcoming and took a lot of time to explain their design process and also how quests are born. They were very passionate about getting the game back on track, and there is obviously no conspiracy to bury the game nor was there any sign that the game was considered "on the backburner" or bottom tier in relation to their more established mmo's. Also got a chance to meet the devs at the Voodoo Lounge party atop the Rio hotel, and they were around quite a bit in the main dealers room at the Fan Faire. All in all a very good showing from VG SOE (like 8-10 VG people as well as Elonia who is the VG Community person)

Live Gamer - ewww.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
kohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joodah View Post
They were very passionate about getting the game back on track, and there is obviously no conspiracy to bury the game nor was there any sign that the game was considered "on the backburner" or bottom tier in relation to their more established mmo's.
You seriously believe that SOE is giving VG the same amount of resources as say, EQ2? I knew you were gullible but this really takes it to a whole new level. You ate up the same dog and pony show that Sigil has been giving people for years.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
Joodah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohl View Post
You seriously believe that SOE is giving VG the same amount of resources as say, EQ2? I knew you were gullible but this really takes it to a whole new level. You ate up the same dog and pony show that Sigil has been giving people for years.
/shrug

Well, never stated "Same as EQ2's" but the facts are that they are putting a lot of effort into the game, and I highly doubt the team we spoke to were lieing about the hours they worked or the passion they are putting into it. Guess we'll see as time goes on
Live Gamer - ewww.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
shadowrelm

there is nothing in there that hasnt already been released. namely and glaringly missing is WHEN.

no additional info should be the title header.

and it is still amazing they are not addressing the number one glaring problem most people walked. no grouping. whats the point of a grouping game where no one groups?

combining servers wont change that. the powergamers who do take the time to group are already at the top.

it is the low and mid level game that needs addressing. combining servers will not change that. instead of having 5000 players who do not group spread out over 10 servers, the will just have 5000 players who STILL DONT GROUP all together on 2 or 3 servers.

the result will be exactly the same. the casual gamers will come to the new party, but will walk just as fast if not faster if they still cannot access the majority of the content because they cant get a group going in areasonable amount of time.

all this is just leading up to a baby EQ1. a new game with 2 or 3 servers with a small and shrinking population of top end people and a desolate low and mid level game that is more ghoste town than online mmorpg.

the changes listed do not address the reason Vanguard fell on its face. nor do i see any talk they are even willing to acknoledge the main issue 90 percent of their player base walked away.

but, its their game. see ya in Warhammer / Age of Conan / Gods and Heros.

shadowrelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
VoiceOfReason

Quote:
I give it 6 months minimum before any of this sees the light of day. In the mean time there will be plenty of "sorry for the delay, it needs more work" or "oops! we ran into unforeseen issues".
kohl, you really think that it will be six months before update 2 is out? That is a ludicrous assertion. I think it emphasizes the tenor of your posts.

VoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
VoiceOfReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrelm View Post
there is nothing in there that hasnt already been released. namely and glaringly missing is WHEN.

no additional info should be the title header.

and it is still amazing they are not addressing the number one glaring problem most people walked. no grouping. whats the point of a grouping game where no one groups?

combining servers wont change that. the powergamers who do take the time to group are already at the top.

it is the low and mid level game that needs addressing. combining servers will not change that. instead of having 5000 players who do not group spread out over 10 servers, the will just have 5000 players who STILL DONT GROUP all together on 2 or 3 servers.

the result will be exactly the same. the casual gamers will come to the new party, but will walk just as fast if not faster if they still cannot access the majority of the content because they cant get a group going in areasonable amount of time.

all this is just leading up to a baby EQ1. a new game with 2 or 3 servers with a small and shrinking population of top end people and a desolate low and mid level game that is more ghoste town than online mmorpg.

the changes listed do not address the reason Vanguard fell on its face. nor do i see any talk they are even willing to acknoledge the main issue 90 percent of their player base walked away.

but, its their game. see ya in Warhammer / Age of Conan / Gods and Heros.
Hmmm, I found a lot of new information in the original post actually. All that stuff about cross-sphere interaction I have never seen elsewhere. This is actually one of the things that GoldenEyes was citing as a deficit in the game, so it even addresses one of the existing needs espoused by sometime detractors on this forum.

VoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #10
Joodah

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
Hmmm, I found a lot of new information in the original post actually. All that stuff about cross-sphere interaction I have never seen elsewhere. This is actually one of the things that GoldenEyes was citing as a deficit in the game, so it even addresses one of the existing needs espoused by sometime detractors on this forum.
Yup. They are hellbent on the cross-sphere implementation, they made that point time and time again. I'm looking forward to quests that can be accomplished by killing, crafting or parlaying, pretty cool.

I also take issue with the "there's no groups and no one will group thing", what utter nonsense. I don't know about the server he's on, but I see grouping all of the time on Targonor. I don't know anyone dumb enough nor "uber" enough to go waltzing into TK or CIS solo (to do quests - grind carefully maybe, but not to solo TK3,4, etc) - I ALWAYS see groups there.
Live Gamer - ewww.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:21 AM   #11
kohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
kohl, you really think that it will be six months before update 2 is out? That is a ludicrous assertion. I think it emphasizes the tenor of your posts.
What previous precedence can you cite that makes my assertion ludicrous? Please give me a list. SOE hasn't done a damn thing since they scooped up VG. There have been a paltry number of updates and some of them have even listed the same "fixes".

Last edited by kohl : 08-09-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
Vampero

Server: Woefeather
Name: Vampero
Guild: ExUmbris

Quote:
What previous precedence can you site that makes my assertion ludicrous? Please give me a list. SOE hasn't done a damn thing since they scooped up VG. There have been a paltry number of updates and some of them have even listed the same "fixes".
I have to agree with Kohl 100%.... That is why I'm playing EQ2 for free until Sept that SOE gave me for free after I closed my Vanguard account. They are very slow in updating Vanguard....Once the game has the server merge so there is people to play with I will be back, but will that happen in 2008???

Vampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #13
Saphhyre

Server: Thunderaxe
Name: Saphhyre ZaTeeva
Guild: Dawning Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrelm View Post
no grouping. whats the point of a grouping game where no one groups?

see ya in Warhammer / Age of Conan / Gods and Heros.

Is it people are not grouping in the game or is it people are not grouping with you?

Saphhyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #14
Bala

Default too little too late?

well Age of Conan is delayed but warhammer is on track. they havent got enough time left to save this game. the mechanics and world we play in are fantastic. the actually playability of the game is bad and the management of the game was worse. this is a lesson in poor vision and lack of foresight or something to that effect. just bad management

Bala is offline   Reply With Quote