News    Guild    Options    More
Forums:   Guild,    Games,    Hardware,    Misc
Home 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 Forum Home > Silky Venom News Discussion > Vanguard News > Vanguard State of the Game Panel

Old 08-06-2007, 10:19 PM   #21
QforQ
Guild Member

Server: Shidreth
Name: QforQ
Guild: Silky Venom

The developers said there are no plans to instance VG and the trial island will not be instanced at all. It just will be a separate place that subscribers cannot access.

QforQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #22
gtlaxsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by QforQ View Post
The developers said there are no plans to instance VG and the trial island will not be instanced at all. It just will be a separate place that subscribers cannot access.
I think HolyAvengerOne was talking about the Trial Island (like eq2) being just 1 big instance in VG world. Granted you can say it's seperate from the actual game and therefore it's not an instance, but isn't that same thing? I mean you finish with the island, you click a button, see a loading screen, and then are in the your races main starting zone. I can see how this could be viewed as a step towards instancing. But from what the dev's have said I don't think we can say for sure that it will ever cross over into the main game.

Thanks for the info by the way on the characters transferring. You helped clear that up that aspect for me, but it raised a new question. I know you're probably tired of my questions and one day (when I get some bankroll) I'm gonna have to go to these things and ask the questions to the devs myself.
If you can transfer your character from the trial island with lvls, gear, and all that intact, won't you be 10 lvls higher than all the starting content in your races starting zone? Did the devs touch on this?

gtlaxsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #23
QforQ
Guild Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlaxsk8er View Post
Thanks for the info by the way on the characters transferring. You helped clear that up that aspect for me, but it raised a new question. I know you're probably tired of my questions and one day (when I get some bankroll) I'm gonna have to go to these things and ask the questions to the devs myself.
If you can transfer your character from the trial island with lvls, gear, and all that intact, won't you be 10 lvls higher than all the starting content in your races starting zone? Did the devs touch on this?
I think that is a valid concern and it's something I was thinking too in the State of the Game panel. You'd have to ask Laby what the answer is because I forget...but I think they were just saying it wouldnt be a big problem /shrug

Old 08-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #24
Joodah
Silky Venom Guest Contributor

Server: Targonor
Name: Joodah

Quote:
I think that is a valid concern and it's something I was thinking too in the State of the Game panel. You'd have to ask Laby what the answer is because I forget...but I think they were just saying it wouldnt be a big problem /shrug
I could swear he said that you didn't have a choice, if you wanted to play the main game you needed to start fresh? So you can mess around until level 10 on Trial but when you decide you like the game you start like anyone else new to the live game... at least that's what I thought I heard

Also the Dev (Faratha) that does a lot of the quests said she loved working on the island and there is a lot of good content there, so should be fun She also was the person who did a lot of the major quest series, like TK....
Live Gamer - ewww.

Last edited by Joodah : 08-07-2007 at 07:24 PM.

Joodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #25
gtlaxsk8er

Quote:
I guess we'll just wait and see. It really wouldn't be that big of a problem I guess, just maybe some people upset or confused if it was their first time playing.

Hey I'm not sure if you've guys have posted em yet but I haven't been able to find em (I teh noobz), but are the interviews from the Fan Faire up on uberguilds yet?

Old 08-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #26
Joodah
Silky Venom Guest Contributor

Server: Targonor
Name: Joodah

Quote:
I guess we'll just wait and see. It really wouldn't be that big of a problem I guess, just maybe some people upset or confused if it was their first time playing.

Hey I'm not sure if you've guys have posted em yet but I haven't been able to find em (I teh noobz), but are the interviews from the Fan Faire up on uberguilds yet?
yes the one for the State of the Game is up
Live Gamer - ewww.

Joodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #27
QforQ
Guild Member

Quote:

Not yet, we have to edit down 16 hours of video and audio :P Once I get it up I'll try to get Michelle to post it on the main website, maybe even get Laby to plug it :P

Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 PM   #28
Labyrrinth
Content Mgr

Quote:

What was said was that first, yes you can transfer your char from Trial Island to the mainland(s). When you transfer, you'll be transfered to the newbie area that is relative to your level.

Trial Island isn't going to make the newbie starting areas obsolete. Trial Island is basically a one time only type of deal, to get those people into the game that wouldn't otherwise give it a try. From that point forward (once a user buys the game and transfers their Trial Island char over) the next time they start a new character, they'll start in the "regular" newbie areas.
Send a message via AIM to Labyrrinth

Last edited by Labyrrinth : 08-07-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Labyrrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #29
acerrak

With this game update and the upcomming opening of apw will galleons (big ships) be released back into game again.. I was under the impression and also a small video clip that showed or viewed a galleon needed to enter this area.

acerrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #30
gtlaxsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrrinth View Post
What was said was that first, yes you can transfer your char from Trial Island to the mainland(s). When you transfer, you'll be transfered to the newbie area that is relative to your level.

Trial Island isn't going to make the newbie starting areas obsolete. Trial Island is basically a one time only type of deal, to get those people into the game that wouldn't otherwise give it a try. From that point forward (once a user buys the game and transfers their Trial Island char over) the next time they start a new character, they'll start in the "regular" newbie areas.
Ah thanks for clarifying Labyrrinth. But if you give a mouse a cookie...

it makes me think of another question. I'm not sure if anyone except a dev can answer it though.

If what I'm understanding is correct, only new accounts can access the trial island. If that's true, and it's true that using the trial isle to help optimize the game faster, then won't they need a lot of new accounts in order to really use the trial isle to its fullest extent? I'm assuming that there's gonna be a advertising blitz for the island and the game when they open this thing up?

Thanks for the info on the interviews Q, really looking forward to em, keep up the good work.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #31
HolyAvengerOne

Name: Fyrr
Guild: GoneFromVGstickingToSV

Quote:

That's not very different than instancing. And if its not actually instanced, its another new thing to VG: artificial barrier preventing you to go somewhere.

MInd you, I don't necessarily think its such a bad thing. Just a major turnover.

HolyAvengerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #32
QforQ
Guild Member

Quote:
If what I'm understanding is correct, only new accounts can access the trial island. If that's true, and it's true that using the trial isle to help optimize the game faster, then won't they need a lot of new accounts in order to really use the trial isle to its fullest extent? I'm assuming that there's gonna be a advertising blitz for the island and the game when they open this thing up?

Thanks for the info on the interviews Q, really looking forward to em, keep up the good work.
The trial island, when finished, will be a part of a Vanguard "re-launch" and a part of a win back program SOE uses. A re launch would include mostly advertising, while a win back is targeted at past Vanguard players that may not have liked the game and left for whatever reason. They send them emails and things like that letting them know the game has changed and here is a free demo proving it.

Thanks man

Old 08-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #33
HolyAvengerOne

Quote:
The trial island, when finished, will be a part of a Vanguard "re-launch" and a part of a win back program SOE uses. A re launch would include mostly advertising, while a win back is targeted at past Vanguard players that may not have liked the game and left for whatever reason. They send them emails and things like that letting them know the game has changed and here is a free demo proving it.

Thanks man
I hope they come up with something more flashy and convincing than an email for a free trial. Once you've been burned...

Old 08-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #34
QforQ
Guild Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAvengerOne View Post
I hope they come up with something more flashy and convincing than an email for a free trial. Once you've been burned...
Word is they are exploring other options too, apparently they discussed this in the Community Summit on Wednesday. I imagine they will do more than just a free trial island link. If I were them I'd give them a free month of play too

Old 08-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #35
HolyAvengerOne

Quote:
Word is they are exploring other options too, apparently they discussed this in the Community Summit on Wednesday. I imagine they will do more than just a free trial island link. If I were them I'd give them a free month of play too
Now that's getting more interesting