News    Guild    Options    More
Forums:   Guild,    Games,    Hardware,    Misc
Home 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 Forum Home > Silky Venom News Discussion > Vanguard News > APW Update from Avarem

Old 10-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Joodah
Silky Venom Guest Contributor

Server: Targonor
Name: Joodah

Default APW Update from Avarem

Quote:
Hey all,

We've been testing some pretty big changes to APW on the test server for the last few weeks. We're finally satisfied that with these solutions and are certain that they will be going live, so I wanted to update our community with regards to the direction we're taking things so that this doesn't come as a surprise when we get APW out the door.

First of all, APW has been changed over from a 12 man dungeon to an 18 man dungeon. We felt that gameplay with 18 was more compelling and that the performance improvements did enough for us that we could comfortably increase the max raid size. In addition this allows us a base raid size, as all raid encounters in the near future (overland, apw, etc) will have a max raid size of 18.

Secondly, we have implemented lockout timers to all bosses within APW. What this means is that when you kill any of the designated raid bosses you and all others on that bosses' 'raid list' will be locked out for a fixed period of time. During that time period you cannot engage the raid boss and the raid boss cannot engage or damage you. We felt that this solution allowed us to solve what we believe was a critical problem (APW will be the only raid dungeon at its release, and especially with merged servers we need this content to be able to accommodate a relatively sizable raiding population), while maintaining a certain degree of competition (it remains true that only one guild at a time can attempt any boss, in addition these bosses do not respawn instantly). I am intentionally being vague about the exact times for respawn and lockout since these are still under evaluation.

As always, feel free to discuss these changes - and I'll be around to clarify or answer any questions or concerns that you all might have.
original post:

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/po...topic_id=19965
Live Gamer - ewww.

Joodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
Brikk

Name: Brikk (Sold)

Good info thanks! I for one am excited for the raid increase from 12 to 18.

Brikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Joodah
Silky Venom Guest Contributor

Server: Targonor
Name: Joodah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brikk View Post
Good info thanks! I for one am excited for the raid increase from 12 to 18.

Agreed, a lot of people are as well

for more info, here is a link to a brand new interview with Avarem on Ten Ton Hammer!
Live Gamer - ewww.

Joodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
nuandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joodah View Post
Agreed, a lot of people are as well

for more info, here is a link to a brand new interview with Avarem on Ten Ton Hammer!
although i hate to do this i agree 18 man raids might be worth resubbing again

only trouble is now i am in beta for ............. and with that out in november it is to little to late but the increase can only be good if performance will allow the majority of players to enjoy them

I just bit the head off a live bat, it was like eating a crunchie wrapped in chamois leather! Ozzy Osbourne

nuandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
sjb1

the other nice thing about that is the fact they have also settled on a base size of 18 for all raids going forward. much better than 12 for APW and then hopefully more. consistent raid size makes it easier for guilds to sort membership numbers out hopefully

sjb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
kcxiv

Server: Shidreth
Name: Kcxiv

Performance will allow 18 to raid. You can now have 40 plus on a screen and still move without hitching.

BoW has tested specifically for performance issues at times. They have came a long long ways with the info we were able to give them. Its not quite where it needs to be, but its really really close.
Send a message via AIM to kcxiv Send a message via Yahoo to kcxiv

kcxiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Enscheff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb1 View Post
the other nice thing about that is the fact they have also settled on a base size of 18 for all raids going forward.
Actually, the target is still 24 man raiding. The interview states as much.

Enscheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
sjb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
Actually, the target is still 24 man raiding. The interview states as much.
ah damn, I missed the word near in this line In addition this allows us a base raid size, as all raid encounters in the near future (overland, apw, etc) will have a max raid size of 18.

you're right, the actual linked interview spells out 24 is still the target.

dang

sjb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
Eadric

Server: Gulgrethor
Name: Eadric

This is good news indeed to me. 18 man raids have a lot more potential than 12 man raids ever could, although to me, 24 would be the ideal target number. I'm glad they are addressing the issue of large raiding populations vs. 1 raid zone as well.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eadric

Eadric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:40 AM   #10
Santos

Server: Gulgrethor
Name: Santos Maahj
Guild: Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eadric View Post
This is good news indeed to me. 18 man raids have a lot more potential than 12 man raids ever could, although to me, 24 would be the ideal target number. I'm glad they are addressing the issue of large raiding populations vs. 1 raid zone as well.

hi Eadric

its Axel rose

only u would know that

too bad we didnt ahve that a loooong time ago..

Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:17 AM   #11
Gabriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv View Post
Performance will allow 18 to raid. You can now have 40 plus on a screen and still move without hitching.
BoW has tested specifically for performance issues at times. They have came a long long ways with the info we were able to give them. Its not quite where it needs to be, but its really really close.
Not in any zone i've been fighting in. RI is crap, CTD and hitching all the time when 40+ are in chunk area. I hope they have found a work-around for this major problem; so that APW is playable and enjoyable.

Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote