News    Guild    Options    More
Forums:   Guild,    Games,    Hardware,    Misc
Home 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 Forum Home > Silky Venom News Discussion > Industry & Other Games News > SOE - Ramayan 3392 A.D.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
rabb1t

Default SOE - Ramayan 3392 A.D.

Sony Online Entertainment has another MMO in the works. I don't know anything about the comic, but I guess it's based on Ramayan 3392 A.D.

IGN - announcement and some art concepts

Ramayan 3392 A.D. at Wiki

“Hey, can I get a buff in case we go back to pwning their doods? kthx.” - Belkar Bitterleaf, The Order of the Stick

Last edited by Labyrrinth : 08-09-2007 at 09:52 PM.

rabb1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:22 AM   #2
Treesong

Wow, so we get to bash mobs again, but this time in an Indian setting/Lore. I can't wait.

I have *completely* lost my faith in the genre. I think pretty much every IP there is in the world is now being turned into a MMO, and they are all the same ****ing thing: bashing mobs in a streamlined combat arena that has the "color of the day" (read Lore/IP/Setting) painted on it.

/yawn.

I bet we will see: Icons flashing, popup dialogue and pull down menus everywhere, streamlined interfaces, trimmed down UI's, unattackable and lifeless NPC's aka Pez-dispensers, zero fluff, 100% focus on Combat, ultra balanced classes with minimal utility, entirely focussed on Combat and "roles" in combat, Dungeons that are designed aroound a min/max gain of XP and Loot in mind instead of something actually cool, 3D-design of cities and dungeons that limits itself to a few stairs here and there, fake front buildings with textured doors, zero mystery, no secret walls, rooms of hidden caves and sewers, no racial political landscape, no KoS mobs exept the ones that are obviously meant for XP, dumbed down factions system (if any) that are only there as a grind to unlock content, instead as being a World quality that paints the racal landscape and your standing towards NPC's and so forth.

They really bore me to tears.

I am also completely not interested in Indian or any Far Eastern Lore but that's just me.

Treesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Ziegfried Trueblade

While I enjoy far eastern themes, I won't be touching this game. As Treesong has pointed out, MMOs aren't going the right direction at all and I highly doubt a game made my SOE will be the exception! I don't play MMOs for a combat simulator, I have way better combat simulators on my console systems.

Ziegfried Trueblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Navid

Server: Woefeather
Name: Lumio,Navid,Veritas

am i the only one who first read this as Rayman MMO?

lol that would have been wierd

Navid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:24 PM   #5
rabb1t

Me too. I actually always wondered why someone didn't use that style for a MMOG. It would keep specs really low and it could be a lot of fun. (Though obviously it couldn't be just Rayman. I only played like the first, but there wasn't much there from what I reall. )

“Hey, can I get a buff in case we go back to pwning their doods? kthx.” - Belkar Bitterleaf, The Order of the Stick

rabb1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Joodah
Silky Venom Guest Contributor

Server: Targonor
Name: Joodah

yeh an Indian mythology based mmo is definately one of the odder choices I've seen for a theme, heh... could be interesting though... Can I be a level 35 Yogi with an Elephant pet? *casts inner enlightenment*
Live Gamer - ewww.

Joodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
Chae668

Server: Florendyl (RP)
Name: Simnir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joodah View Post
yeh an Indian mythology based mmo is definately one of the odder choices I've seen for a theme, heh... could be interesting though... Can I be a level 35 Yogi with an Elephant pet? *casts inner enlightenment*
hope that game has tails

Chae668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
bigdumbchimp

Not to mention that Depak Chopra is a world class idiot.

bigdumbchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
Solid

Default Rubbish

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me, definatly one MMO i wont be trying

Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #11
Saerain

Server: Florendyl (RP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesong View Post
Wow, so we get to bash mobs again, but this time in an Indian setting/Lore. I can't wait.

I have *completely* lost my faith in the genre. I think pretty much every IP there is in the world is now being turned into a MMO, and they are all the same ****ing thing: bashing mobs in a streamlined combat arena that has the "color of the day" (read Lore/IP/Setting) painted on it.

/yawn.

I bet we will see: Icons flashing, popup dialogue and pull down menus everywhere, streamlined interfaces, trimmed down UI's, unattackable and lifeless NPC's aka Pez-dispensers, zero fluff, 100% focus on Combat, ultra balanced classes with minimal utility, entirely focussed on Combat and "roles" in combat, Dungeons that are designed aroound a min/max gain of XP and Loot in mind instead of something actually cool, 3D-design of cities and dungeons that limits itself to a few stairs here and there, fake front buildings with textured doors, zero mystery, no secret walls, rooms of hidden caves and sewers, no racial political landscape, no KoS mobs exept the ones that are obviously meant for XP, dumbed down factions system (if any) that are only there as a grind to unlock content, instead as being a World quality that paints the racal landscape and your standing towards NPC's and so forth.
This will especially be true after what has happened to Vanguard, the one which was trying to champion the end to all this -- at least until Beta 3.

However, I do not think it can last. I will be very surprised if we are still going through this phase in seven years.

Keeping in mind CCP's World of Darkness Online slated for 2011, and Funcom's The Secret World slated for 2012 -- both titles which I have difficulty imagining in the format you describe -- I think some developers are still on our side, or at least trying to experiment with it. If one of them is lucrative enough, who knows what progressive trend it will begin?

Saerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
Aidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saerain View Post
This will especially be true after what has happened to Vanguard, the one which was trying to champion the end to all this -- at least until Beta 3.

However, I do not think it can last. I will be very surprised if we are still going through this phase in seven years.

Keeping in mind CCP's World of Darkness Online slated for 2011, and Funcom's The Secret World slated for 2012 -- both titles which I have difficulty imagining in the format you describe -- I think some developers are still on our side, or at least trying to experiment with it. If one of them is lucrative enough, who knows what progressive trend it will begin?
Except the market has clearly dictates otherwise.

Also, don't hold up much hope for WoD Online...in general PnP RPGs translate poorly to computers and WoD is one of those with the most difficulty. The more reliant a system is on judgement calls by a DM or GM or ST, the more difficult it is to translate it to a CRPG. Further, nothing about the WoD is balanced well, at least not in the old v2.5-v3 stuff (I don't know about the new Requiem stuff). The average werewolf character could utterly decimate the average vamp character, for instance. And how the hell can you possibly implement a Mage who, in the books, can literally do anything he wants if its within his power range and he's not too worried about paradox? How can you implment cross-clan disciplines in an MMO which, eventually, will have people with enough XP to get any discipline they wish? How do you convince people to take a Toreador or a Ventrue on a combat mission over another Gangrel or Brujah?

Sadly, I fear any WoD MMO will essentially be online VtM: Bloodlines with shiny new graphics (not that Bloodlines wasn't a good game, aside from the bugginess, but it had major departures from the tabletop version).

Aidon is offline   Reply With Quote