News    Guild    Options    More
Forums:   Guild,    Games,    Hardware,    Misc
Home 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 Forum Home > Miscellaneous > Performance and Technical Issues > Possible Game Performance Increase

Old 12-10-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
Mcangus
Guild Officer

Default Possible Game Performance Increase

Greetings All,

In my absence from Vanguard, I have rebuilt my gaming computer (just in time I might add my back-up died lol) .

I will not bore you with the details of the rebuilding and it's new parts, but I did come across a couple of changes in how Windows XP (Professional) operates.

BEFORE YOU START EDIT YOUR BOOT.INI FILE MAKE A BACK-UP COPY OF IT !!, yes the caps are on purpose. But if you mess up you can at least boot into safe mode and restore your back-up copy of your boot.ini

My 1st order of business, was to enable PAE, which is the command BTW "enable pae". To do so you must edit your boot.ini file. A typical one will look along the lines of the following. You will notice that the "enable pae" command is already installed, after the fastdetect command. Your Boot.ini files maybe different, I am running 2 loads of XP, one for gaming the other for home bill paying (incase my wife's computer acts up) hence the reason for 2 Windows XP Professional showing up in 1 Boot.ini file.

Now right clicking on the My Computer Icon ( I am using the Classical windows interface) it still wont be showing more than 3gigs, but under CPUZ, this program can be found here http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php it will show as 4gigs of ram. The noexecute=optin command is Supposed to enable pae by default, but I have a belt and suspenders type persona, and since I never saw 4 gigs of ram showing up in CPUZ before, I figured the "enable pae" command couldnt hurt.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect/enable pae
signature(ff4ca5ce)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WIN DOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect/enable pae

Now for the next item I found.

2nd thing I did was to look under Vanguard Latency issues, and while reading I found this link http://www.morpg.com/gamelist.cfm/ga...954660#2954660.

As stated in the link it is the directions on how to disable the Nagle Algorithm command, to increase packet speed over a network and decrease pings.

I went ahead and tried this out and found that I could run through NT (IMHO the worst zone there is) when it comes to running into doors, walls and missing entrance ways to other parts of the city. NT is just a plain pain in the butt, to make your way through. This run/fly through mounted on a pegasus, was done under maximum settings, with very little hitching. I mean I could actually go straight through doors and entrance ways without running face first into a wall.

If there are any questions please feel free to contact me at,

Moksoon2004@Yahoo.com

P.S.

Sorry Craeat, while I did find a freeware ramdisk that works great, I have been unable to make Junction Link Magic handle the Vanguard's Shader issues...Yet.

Mc

Last edited by Mcangus : 12-10-2009 at 07:01 AM.