News    Guild    Options    More
Forums:   Guild,    Games,    Hardware,    Misc
Home 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 Forum Home > Games > Star Wars: The Old Republic > How You Doin'?

Old 01-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
AsheMan

Server: Hilsbury
Name: Skinner

Default How You Doin'?

How's the game going for you? Most of us have probably recently paid our first subscription fee. How's the game going for you now that the first 30 days are up?

I'm doing okay in the game. I've hooked up with an old LOTRO guild that is fairly active on the Empire's side. I'm a level 41 Sith Juggernaut and kind of plugging away. I can't say that I've had a single "whoa, that's cool" moment in the game. Everything is pretty expected and follows the typical MMO scene.

I've spent all my time in the game partnered with a close friend. We've managed to duo all the quests we've run into with the exception of Flashpoints. I've only completed the initial flashpoint, Black Talon. I haven't done a whole lot of pvp other than a dozen warzones. I hate Huttball and the only other warzone I've played is the "control 3 objectives" map. I'm not impressed with the warzones. I have not done a space mission yet.

I pretty much just play on the weekends and rarely play during the work week. I don't have a real desire to play. Nothing is pulling me back to the game aside from my friend pestering me to play. I can see myself going for another month, possibly more if I don't hit 50 in that time.

It feels like I'm just going through the motions. I think MMOs may be dead to me.

So, how you doin'?

AsheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Fozzik

I cancelled my sub a couple days ago. I may log in a few more times, since I already paid for February, but I've found it extremely difficult to find the desire to even sit down and type in my password.

I knew from the beginning that the game wouldn't last for me...for all the reasons that I've probably discussed too much already. It's yet another shallow clone of the same mechanics, yet another step down the road towards a genre of games that are completely and utterly unappealing to me.

I think the reasons this particular game has lost my interest center around the class design, combat, and the lack of any feeling of a real virtual world.

I find that I hate the way they handle skills. Going back to a trainer every single level is a pain, and often getting nothing but a higher rank of the same skill for your money just sucks. They went the route of giving you a TON of skills that you can press in basically any order, and the interesting ones have long enough cooldowns where you tend to just end up hitting all of them each fight. It's wack-a-mole...and I haven't played a class yet where there was any point in even setting up a particular order to hit the buttons in. Just mash them all at random...mobs go down.

I think the occasions where I actually found a situation that called for one particular skill to be used have been extremely few and far between. Most of the time one is just as good as another. Now I'm level 25 or so, and looking at my trainer I've found that I have basically all of my skills...so there really nothing to look forward to in the next 3/4 of the game, just more of the same button-mashing, the same abilities I'm already tired of, and the prospect of buying the same skills over and over for ever-higher prices.

I hate the way every mob everywhere is pretty much the same. I hate that fights last longer than they should, even against basic trash mobs, and most of my abilities feel slightly underpowered. With only a couple of exceptions, the abilities just feel wimpy and I always feel like I have to hit more buttons each fight than I really should. There's no tactics, positioning and movement very rarely make any difference (I hate watching laser blasts turn and follow me as I move).

In terms of the world, the graphics are very nice, but almost all of the playable area of the game is made up of these linear "dungeon" areas where you have basically one path you can follow, right through all the mobs, to the goal clicky or conversation at the end...then straight back out through all the mobs. It's very much like Rift in this respect. There's really very little to the world at all that isn't there strictly for a game function...everything else is just a flat backdrop that you can't really visit. There's no way to ever go AROUND anything, no way to go off the beaten track...very little in the way of exploration and discovery. The world just gets filled in by following the rails of the task grind...from one hub to the next to the next ad nauseam.

The towns are full of NPCs that stand in single poses, creating a weird, silent tableau with very little movement or life. Every once in a while there's a voiceover...but most of them are moving their arms and mouths with no sound and I find it slightly creepy. Most of the buildings you can enter are copies of each other, things are reused much too often...the Empire and Replublic fleets are exactly the same zone, just with different decoration.

The "STORY!! (tm)" is really just some nicely voice-acted cut scenes which they put in place of quest text, while leaving all of the horribly repetitive and lame task grind fully intact. For me at least, the pain of reaching each new hub and seeing six or eight icons for new tasks just gets to be too much, even with the story.

I find the armor upgrades and augments to be really uninspiring. I really haven't found any items that provide any kind of carrot or emotional attachment...it's just a steady stream of higher numbers and slightly different graphics that gets dumped on you from the loot pinata. The talent trees are really lame as well...I really haven't found much of anything that makes a substantial difference, most things just seem to be background type improvements that don't provide much incentive to reach. I'm sure the selection gets more interesting as you get higher levels and more points to spend, but slogging through to get to that point just doesn't seem worth it.

My wife and I have duo'ed together for just about everything, and we've found that the pacing is all screwed up because 99% of the game is designed specifically for solo. We outlevel every area before we've finished the story, and end up getting our various milestones late because of that. It's a constant struggle to play with someone else...you have to deal with all the solo instances separately, you often have to compete with each other for mobs or drops, and it makes most of the combat extremely boring because you just mow everything down with no effort or thought.

This was just never a game meant for me. I'll be happy to uninstall, and play a bit of Kingdoms of Amalur while I wait for GW2.

"Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

My blog - The Last Bastion

Fozzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
perfect
Administrator

I'm 39 Sage and 29 Vanguard on my Main and Alt. I do everything on my Main with my Spouse. I don't really care what the game is, just spending time together gaming is what interests me.

The story is good. That's what keeps me going. And I'm a crafting junkie. A single green recipe can make 3 different blues (Crit, Power and Defense). Each of those blues can make 5 different purples (Accuracy, Alacrity, Presence, Surge and Shield). That's 15 different purples for each green recipe. FIFTEEN. The completionist in me is going crazy.

I sub'd both accounts for three more months. By then GW2 will be out and I can leave this game behind. I always knew it was a stopgap after Rift failed to keep me entertained.
Send a message via ICQ to perfect Send a message via AIM to perfect Send a message via MSN to perfect

I used to be so big and strong,
I used to know my right from wrong.
I used to never be afraid,
I used to be somebody.

-p

perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
AsheMan

I canceled my sub. I haven't even logged in for a couple weeks. I just don't have any desire to play it.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
nuandy

Still playing i have a 44 jedi sentinel and love the game

As Perfect said the story lines are great i also have a mid 20 bounty hunter and

Not come across to many bugs so far.

‘I just bit the head off a live bat, it was like eating a crunchie wrapped in chamois leather!’ Ozzy Osbourne

nuandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
Lonestryder

I like the game.

Like - Game

I've been in since early access and have played SWTOR as my only MMO since then. My expectations were low going in and I haven't been disappointed. My brother and I rolled up on a RP PVP server and I have been dabbling in a bit of everything. After trying many classes, I have gravitated toward the Imperial Agent – Sniper. The gameplay flows smoothly for me and the inclusion of a companion, which I fully admit I was staunchly against on paper, has added an element of diversion and dialogue for those times when I am playing alone.

And that’s a good thing, for the design of the game around story and flashpoints does leave the general cities rather barren at times. On my server, though, the population seems to be just about right the majority of the time.

While cliché to describe the game as “it is what it is”, that’s the best way to describe it and how I have been able to continue to enjoy the game for the past couple of months.

I read many concerns about the game being “soul-less” and “single-player”, but here I disagree to a point. If one takes the time to explore and slows down to smell the roses (full of clichés tonight), there is plenty of appeal and production value to keep one’s interest, regardless of your inclination. I am more of an explorer and adventurer type, and I have found that there is quite a bit of content for those who choose to jump off the well-greased rails – which I mostly do.

As for the story and writing, I find it adequate and frequently run across things that make me appreciate SWTOR for what it is…a game – and a damned good one, too. From the Imperial (dark) side, the cold and heartless reliance upon involuntary servitude to achieve power…represented not only in the written and spoken story, but in the environment and art itself, are often inspiring. While not readily “in your face”, these little gems are judiciously sprinkled throughout the environment for the more discerning explorer to uncover.

PVP is yet another diversion that fills in the gaps and I’ve gotten where I can pretty much hold my own.

I like SWTOR, despite the fact that I find myself describing it with trite words such as “nice” and “good”. While I am far from enchanted with it the way I was with Vanguard and EQ2, I do find myself returning to it on most evenings. It’s difficult argue that the obvious support the game has had and will likely continue to have for the foreseeable future allows me to enjoy the content without the worrying shadow that the game will be shut down anytime soon.

SWTOR is not the best game I have played and far from the worst, but it plays well and has a unique charm that is consistent throughout. I plan to continue to subscribe and play as long as I am enjoying it, and so far my interest has not flagged one bit.

And all clichés and triteness aside, that’s saying something.

Lonestryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
Loampounder

Quote:
Electronic Arts lost 400,000 subscribers of "Star Wars: The Old Republic" in the fourth quarter [Jan-March of 2012], dealing a blow to its efforts to rely on the new game for growth and sending the game maker's shares down about 9 percent.
That's a sizeable amount of the total players in just three months.

Loampounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
AsheMan

Any idea what the number of players was at its peak?

Old 05-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #9
Loampounder

Quote:
An EA representative confirmed in an earnings call that the Star Wars: The Old Republic massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) currently entertains 1.3 million subscribers, a substantial drop from the 1.7 million announced back in February. Sales of the game crested upwards to 2.4 million units sold. The official reason for the loss in population falls on "casual and trial players cycling out of the subscriber base, driving up the overall percentage of paying subscribers," said Ken Barker, a senior vice president and chief accounting officer at EA.
Released Dec 2011 - by two months later, 30% drop out; by five months, 46% have dropped out.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
AsheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loampounder View Post
Released Dec 2011 - by two months later, 30% drop out; by five months, 46% have dropped out.
In reality, that's probably a higher retention rate than most other MMOs. They all seem to take a nose dive a couple months from release.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Fozzik

Only since the era of WoW-clone super casual shallow loot-pinata games started.

Before that, some games actually GAINED customers over their first year.

This was entirely predictable with SW:TOR... it's happened too many times. Amazing that we can see it and so many developers can't.

"Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

Old 05-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
AsheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
Only since the era of WoW-clone super casual shallow loot-pinata games started.

Before that, some games actually GAINED customers over their first year.

This was entirely predictable with SW:TOR... it's happened too many times. Amazing that we can see it and so many developers can't.
I think they see it or partially recognize it. That's why we get so many hyped games and pre-order bonuses. They want to sell as many boxes as they can before people actually get a chance to play and subsequently quit.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #13
Fozzik

I agree...but doesn't it seem rather moronic to spend five years and a hundred million dollars on something that you then have to sell by bait-and-switch because you know people will hate it?

I wonder if it's a Producers type thing...they have figured out it's guaranteed money to make a bad game and then get big box sales up front. It doesn't seem like it...but who knows.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
Loampounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
I agree...but doesn't it seem rather moronic to spend five years and a hundred million dollars on something that you then have to sell by bait-and-switch because you know people will hate it?

I wonder if it's a Producers type thing...they have figured out it's guaranteed money to make a bad game and then get big box sales up front. It doesn't seem like it...but who knows.
I don't think they "know people will hate it". Instead, game developers are looking at the movie model - make most of your money on opening weekend. But, yes, it's moronic to build a subscription-based MMO and assume you need to push revenue as early as possible in the lifetime.

Game marketers would probably tell us that gamers are fickle and always jump to the big new thing, but evidence proves otherwise. There is a hype crowd that is chasing new things, but its just a flashy crowd, not a large crowd. Many games are still going well after a few years. Game designers just need to understand how to build steady, rewarding gameplay.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
mmorpeegee

Yeah exactly, Eve is a good example of that, apparently it is the only mmo to gain subs each year since release.

mmorpeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
perfect
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorpeegee View Post
Yeah exactly, Eve is a good example of that, apparently it is the only mmo to gain subs each year since release.
No. Eve had a stumble last year (summer 2011) and is just now beginning to rise again.

CCP sends that guy numbers directly.

Quote:
CCP has send me new EVE numbers, they look good, 361k subs, so they can celebrate their 9th anniversary knowing they are back on the rise.
Send a message via ICQ to perfect Send a message via AIM to perfect Send a message via MSN to perfect

I used to be so big and strong,
I used to know my right from wrong.
I used to never be afraid,
I used to be somebody.

-p

perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #17
mmorpeegee

Ahh, well it still shows if you make a good game and build it for people to enjoy in the future, it can prosper. Unlike all the others whose line chart looks like this ^

mmorpeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
AsheMan

Haha, Age of Conan and Warhammer Online have the best trends.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
Vordox

RIFT is the same too. You see the pattern there three AAA MMOs bombing and they really had no reason too if they just thought out of the box.

It always killed me in beta forums trying to explain how things could be done differently and people are always saying "This is about business they are going to follow a tried and true model" "this is what people are used too (insert insult)"
Yeah ok well now please explain to me again how that thinking worked out for yuh? lol

As much as I enjoy being right. I didn't like the fact I had nothing to play for years that was any good.

TERA will look exactly the same as well, mark my words.

Vordox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #20
Fozzik

That chart is fun to look at, because it does completely affirm what some of us have been saying for a decade. After WoW released, basically every single game has a boom-and-bust subscriber curve...SW:TOR will have the same thing once we can get a full picture of their first year.

Yeah, many of us tried to explain to the developers and fans on most (or all) of those games' message boards...but nobody listens. Game companies are going to do what they are going to do. I was beginning to lose hope that there would ever be another game developer who understood that they needed to stop designing in WoW's shadow...but ArenaNet has reaffirmed my faith in the genre. In a way I wish GW2 was a subscription game...because I know their curve is going to look entirely different from just about every game in the last 8 years, and it's always fun to say "I told you so".

Last edited by Fozzik : 05-11-2012 at 07:26 AM.