Home 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 Forum Home > Games > Rift > Beginning the slow death - F2P

Old 02-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #21
AsheMan

Server: Hilsbury
Name: Skinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect View Post
Also, he's in the Beta. Not that he said that, mind you.
Hehe, I was trying to get him to acknowledge he was privy to some type of insider information, but he's too good.

AsheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #22
Fozzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsheMan View Post
Hehe, I was trying to get him to acknowledge he was privy to some type of insider information, but he's too good.
It's really just that I love ... *cough*

I love pretending I'm important and have magical future-telling abilities. Also I like playing coy and being shifty about betas in which I'm not taking part.

I think anyone looking at all the same info would come to the same conclusion...GW2 is probably going to be pretty good, and a breath of fresh air. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.

I was in Rift testing for three or four months before launch, but I knew it wasn't going to be a game for me long before that. Sometimes, you just get a gut feeling about things. I've learned to trust my gut.

"Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

My blog - The Last Bastion

Last edited by Fozzik : 02-04-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Fozzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #23
ForestWhitakerEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsheMan View Post
Good points. I really don't know what they were thinking. I can't imagine them ever dreaming of coming anywhere near WoW's numbers. WoW is an anomoly. It couldn't have been predicted and next to impossible to replicate with the same success, kind of like facebook.

I'd like to think they were shooting for a few hundred thousand players.
My theory is that previous AAA games like WAR and AoC had fallen on their faces due to lack of polish. I really think Trion thought that if they polished their game to a high shine and didn't bomb their launch, people would flock to it.

I think they also thought that if they were keeping their development team full time, they could keep people by providing the kind of content the players wanted. They have done that, and 6 content updates in 9 months isn't too shabby.

I think their problems are threefold. First, it came out in 2011, not 2008, so people have had a lot more chances to get tired of the traditional MMO, not just from AAA games, but also F2P like Champions Online and such.

Second, I think a lot of their content was just phoned in. Every quest hub seems like it's Kill X mobs of type A, Loot Y items off mob type B, Collect Z number of ground spawns, all while avoiding mob type C who is just there to annoy you. Then go back and do 3 more quests in the same area, then get a fedex quest to send you to another hub to repeat.

Third, I think they definitely needed at least two leveling paths per faction. If the quests had been more interesting and there had been two paths, I think people might have stayed longer to see them make good on their promises of frequent updates.

ForestWhitakerEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #24
mmorpeegee

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect View Post
I wonder how much different your sentiment would have been if Vanguard had been successful. What I mean is that if EQ had VG's numbers, no one would have ever complained about a camp cause there would always be room.
Yeah I always wondered that too. I guess a full Vanguard would be just as bad as a full EQ But it depends on server sizes I guess and how full they are allowed to get. Still, I reckon I would still take it over the instanced way. The current instanced way at least... I think I would like instances more if they were a bit more random. Although got a feeling that what Fozz is about to explain makes even that obsolete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
(dynamic events)
Jeez this game is off the hook. It's a lot more sandboxy than I was expecting actually. Reminds me of when I first read about Darkfall and they talked about roaming bands of mobs like wolves or something, that might kill an Orc camp and then the camp becomes a camp of wolves instead and the Orcs need to find a new home or whatever... Basically, dynamic. But GW2 sounds like it does it in a more complex way.

As with everything I've heard about this game, it blows my mind that they are trying such a fresh and advanced approach to pretty much everything. But it also makes me especially anxious about whether they can actually pull it off or not. I always thought Sigil were the MMO dream team that could do anything and it all went wrong. It will be interesting to see if this dream team can follow through to the end.

mmorpeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #25
Nepenthia
Guild Officer

Server: Shidreth
Name: Lovi
Guild: Silky Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestWhitakerEye View Post
My theory is that previous AAA games like WAR and AoC had fallen on their faces due to lack of polish. I really think Trion thought that if they polished their game to a high shine and didn't bomb their launch, people would flock to it.

I think they also thought that if they were keeping their development team full time, they could keep people by providing the kind of content the players wanted. They have done that, and 6 content updates in 9 months isn't too shabby.

I think their problems are threefold. First, it came out in 2011, not 2008, so people have had a lot more chances to get tired of the traditional MMO, not just from AAA games, but also F2P like Champions Online and such.

Second, I think a lot of their content was just phoned in. Every quest hub seems like it's Kill X mobs of type A, Loot Y items off mob type B, Collect Z number of ground spawns, all while avoiding mob type C who is just there to annoy you. Then go back and do 3 more quests in the same area, then get a fedex quest to send you to another hub to repeat.

Third, I think they definitely needed at least two leveling paths per faction. If the quests had been more interesting and there had been two paths, I think people might have stayed longer to see them make good on their promises of frequent updates.
I'm still playing Rift so it's obvious that I didn't get terribly annoyed by its flaws. And I think their system of frequent updates and consistent development is really nice. So a few comments:

Rift does not succeed as a true mmog world for me and I don't think ever will. It definitely has the quest issues mentioned above. And the lack of leveling paths and new starting experiences do create issues with replayability. So in comparison to the lovely world of Vanguard and its interesting gameplay, Rift doesn't embody what I dream of in a true mmog.

So why do I keep playing? Because I have fun playing Rift for what it is. I don't play it with the same intensity of, say, EQ or VG. But there is a lot to do, updates keep adding new fights to conquer and I happen to like the options to log in and solo or duo or do small group dungeons or raid or just hang out and chat while looking for solo achievements and artifacts.

What Trion has been doing, I think, is to consistently bring out updates that provide content across the spectrum of playstyles, i.e., each new major update brings difficult content for hardcore and doable (sometimes too easy) content for casual players. That also then gives them the option to very gradually adjust difficult content that has been conquered by the hardcore players, to make it accessible to casual players. Hardcore people get the fun of winning over the content first and casual people get to the content within a reasonable time. I think this has been generally accepted by the playing population as a reasonable game mechanic. Hardcore gets bragging rights and challenge; casual can attain the content without needing a huge guild or constant grinding.

The free-to-play option has actually not had much of an impact on the regular servers because it has been maintained separately. Rift did, I think, make an error in closing down too many servers in response to SWTOR. With people coming back, some servers got overloaded again and queues and lag have been a small problem. It looks like it'll even out again because in Rift, you can change servers easily and without cost. We'll see.

The other thing that has surprised me is that Rift has been working on adjustments to pvp that actually add to the entertainment value of the game. At first, I was adamant about not playing pvp in any form, as was most of Silky Venom. However, more and more of us have been dipping our toes into the warfronts and, some folks, even the overland pvp rift events. And, it's fun. I was in a warfront the other night where the lead changed back and forth constantly, each side was looking for every point advantage it could gain, and who would win was up in the air until the last couple of minutes. This was not the ganking nasty world of pvp I detest. It was fun and lots of people could play whether they were high level pvp or not.

Smile, Rift is not the end all be all of games but I'm glad it's around to play right now. GW2 looks interesting but we'll see how they come through on depth of content and mechanics. I hope it's good and not a disappointment.

Nepenthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #26
Vordox

Speaking for myself RIFT was the anti game.It was everything I absolutely hated in other MMO's. I also played it earlier in Beta with Fozz and Foresteye.It felt like a buncha lazy devs said "Hey lets just put all the shit everyone expects in other games and put it all in here" Seriously, they took exactly zero risk or innovation. It was like money in the bank. I mean I'm sure they knew people would complain but they knew the "MMOBOTS" would quickly qwell the freethinkers with "Well what do you expect they do what works to make money! Get over it!"Rifts were nothing but Warhammer PQs. The scenery was even like "Damn I have been here before in some other MMO" Quests repeated the same from 1 to cap.When I hit level cap I felt relieved not achieved. PvP was a joke and also seemed stolen from Warhammer yet so much less fun.

RIFT was the only MMO I refused to buy strictly on principle.I bought every MMO up to that point in the genre. I decided if I want to change the MMO status quo I need to stop supporting it with my cash. I was just as much a "Mmobot" as everyone else.

I liked GW2 but I excused myself from getting involved in it to early. Many times we can hype things up in our minds and if it isn't like we expect we have no real chance of enjoying the Game. Our minds create this awesomeness and then playing it for real we suffer the "Book vs Movie Syndrome" . It can never meet our imagined expectations.

Now that GW2 is close to release I can read and see that indeed there is much in this game that intrigues me and the innovation is more than obvious.Not only that but the price is perfect!

Nepenthia described me to a "T"! I was playing MMOs after the Vanguard debacle just like that. It was like "Well I may as well get used to this because this industry will never get much better" I think it took RIFT to make me see "Well yeah if WE keep supporting them they will keep churning them out um duh!"

I'm just hoping GW2 doesn't "screw the pooch" with the item shop. That is the only thing I havent seen or heard much about. Just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Wow I certainly can build a wall of text. Sorry lol.

Vordox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #27
mmorpeegee

I enjoyed my time, overall, just a shame it only held on to me for a few weeks.

I loved some aspects of it - being able to almost instantly change your character in to various completely different classes was one of the best features I've even seen in an MMO, and made grouping so much easier and better, and I loved the world and zones, the combat was pretty satisfying, I loved how the LFG tool worked across all the servers, and it was all round a pretty rock solid experience.

But for every positive thing there were at least a few negative things for me The warfronts/battlegrounds seemed very bad. One was ok but there were only a few others and those were pretty pathetic. The instances were quite nice but there weren't all that many of them and the experience you had in there was identical every time and it all felt super repetitive. The combat in the game in general was too easy. The quests in general were a bit boring. The world was FAR too small, having basically a dozen zones or something in total. There was bad replayability because there's only really 2 journeys to take in the entire game. World PVP was pointless and boring. There seemed to be not enough longevity, with me reaching max level in just 3 weeks and that includes a bunch of raids and playing every instance and warfront 95 times. But I could have hung in there... if it wasn't for the super disappointing end game which left me with barely any gear to lust after, and what little there was, required seriously repetitive grindage. I kind of wanted to hang around and wait for expansions but there was really far too little to keep me interested at the max level, and the way the game is set up, you barely ever leave your home city once you ding max level too. Dinging max level, what should be a joyous experience, got very depressing very fast.

So yeah, overall, it was a fun few weeks! Just a shame that's all it was. But still I have some fond memories of it so it almost feels like I had a nice 3 week holiday. Looking forward to playing something substantial now though.

Last edited by mmorpeegee : 02-22-2012 at 10:19 PM.

mmorpeegee is offline   Reply With Quote