News    Guild    Options    More
Forums:   Guild,    Games,    Hardware,    Misc
Home 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 Forum Home > Games > Guild Wars 2 > Professions > Your first profession and race!

Old 02-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
Fozzik

Default Your first profession and race!

I'm going to start with a Human Guardian...it's a bit of a nod to my old EQ days. I've been thinking this might be the game that finally recaptures a little bit of the soul from early EQ, so I'll pay homage by creating a rough copy of my first EQ character. I started as a Human Paladin in that game, named Grullen.

So look for a human guardian named Grullen on launch day... my Fozzik character will probably be a Sylvari or Charr, profession yet to be determined. I'll probably try them all before I settle.

What are you going to choose as your first profession and race, and what do you think of the choices?

"Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

My blog - The Last Bastion

Fozzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
ForestWhitakerEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
I'm going to start with a Human Guardian...it's a bit of a nod to my old EQ days. I've been thinking this might be the game that finally recaptures a little bit of the soul from early EQ, so I'll pay homage by creating a rough copy of my first EQ character. I started as a Human Paladin in that game, named Grullen.

So look for a human guardian named Grullen on launch day... my Fozzik character will probably be a Sylvari or Charr, profession yet to be determined. I'll probably try them all before I settle.

What are you going to choose as your first profession and race, and what do you think of the choices?
Hmm. My major EQ character was a Shaman, not sure which class best fits them. They were big on spears so maybe I'll wait for them to bring back GW1 Paragons in an expansion before trying to go there. They also had wolf pets, so a Ranger might work. They'd have to be a Norn of course.

I had also been thinking about making a Human as my first character. I really like the Human starter area and how it throws you right into an enemy attack. The other two we've seen lack that sense of urgency for me. I also like how the humans aren't the dominant race like they are in every other MMO with humans in it.

Guardian is probably my #1 choice as well. I expect my 3 RL friends to make Warriors or Guardians also though and even though it doesn't matter I do like variety. I might end up going with an Elementalist.

ForestWhitakerEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Vordox

My race will be Asura because I kinda like small intelligent races. I will be Necro first I think, but I will make a Mesmer and Elementalist as well. I played a Erudite mage in EQ and EQOA But my first ever Character was Human warrior and I hated tanking. My names will be Vordox ,Conkuur or some variant of them.

While I like the fact they will have overflow servers does that mean they will throw you into the first available server? Or do you pick a server and wait for an opening? I was thinking about that yesterday it will be hard to coordinate getting on a server with friends if the prior is the case.

Vordox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Loampounder

I don't have any strong preference in profession. I don't like spell casters or missle guys, so I will probably start with a warrior.

I like the idea of a big, burly char warrior, but I don't like the char starting area at all. I may be a Norn (as homage to my first EQ character at Halas) or a human (I like their starting area). How does race affect the character besides starting area?

Loampounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
ForestWhitakerEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vordox2 View Post
My race will be Asura because I kinda like small intelligent races. I will be Necro first I think, but I will make a Mesmer and Elementalist as well. I played a Erudite mage in EQ and EQOA But my first ever Character was Human warrior and I hated tanking. My names will be Vordox ,Conkuur or some variant of them.

While I like the fact they will have overflow servers does that mean they will throw you into the first available server? Or do you pick a server and wait for an opening? I was thinking about that yesterday it will be hard to coordinate getting on a server with friends if the prior is the case.
As far as I'm able to tell, you have a Home server for purposes of WvW PVP. When you try to log in or even go to a zone that is population capped, you'll head to an Overflow Server. We don't know yet that I know of whether that's a truly extra server or whether it's just going to put you on an existing low population server. From what I've seen the message says they'll notify you when you can head back to your real server, so it should still be easy to coordinate which server everyone can play on.

On topic, it seems like from reading the wiki that necromancer minions don't just decay health and die. That was something that kept me from playing one in the first game. I loved Hero Necromancers, let them worry about having to constantly resummon them, but it wasn't for me. If they don't decay health (you can set any or it seems like all of your right bar skills to summon a minion, which you can press the button again to do some effect, sometimes exploding it). I might have to change my answer to Necromancer. I kind of wish they had more weapon options though.

ForestWhitakerEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
mmorpeegee

I don't know anything about classes or races yet :P If I read now I won't be able to sleep until release day So I'll check it out a few days before and post here. In EQ my first character was a Bard. But these days I love casters, either full on nukers or tricky bastards.

mmorpeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
perfect
Administrator

Human Guardian as main.
Sylvari/Nord Thief/Ranger as alt. I haven't decided yet.
Send a message via ICQ to perfect Send a message via AIM to perfect Send a message via MSN to perfect

I used to be so big and strong,
I used to know my right from wrong.
I used to never be afraid,
I used to be somebody.

-p

perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
perfect
Administrator

I have always been a CCer at heart. Started my MMO life with a High Elf Enchanter in vanilla EQ.

I would like to amend my choices after watching the Norn Starting Area video.

Human/Mesmer
Sylvari/Thief
Send a message via ICQ to perfect Send a message via AIM to perfect Send a message via MSN to perfect

I used to be somebody.

-p

Old 03-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
Fozzik

Didn't like the Norn area?

I haven't watched any of the videos...trying not to spoil things too much.

"Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

My blog - The Last Bastion

Fozzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
perfect
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
Didn't like the Norn area?

I haven't watched any of the videos...trying not to spoil things too much.
That's not what I was getting at. I never had any intention of playing a Norn (and the Norn starting area looks great, mind you). I changed my mind because it was a Mesmer and I saw how the illusions worked. I was wary about illusion implementation but...holy moly, they look great.

I used to be somebody.

-p

Old 03-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
mmorpeegee

I've narrowed it down to 4 classes :P Still not sure which. I want something that is difficult to play and has lots to do and requires a lot of thought and effort. I originally wanted the Elementalist but I get the impression that they might be a bit simple, and basically just stand back spamming their biggest spells. The Mesmer looks interesting but it looks like it might spend so much time tricking people, it doesn't actually DO all that much in terms of making people die. I also suspect it might be too over popular. So that leaves me with the Thief and the Engineer. Both look pretty cool.

Not sure on race yet.

mmorpeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
AsheMan

Server: Hilsbury
Name: Skinner

I haven't given it any thought and probably won't up until the moment I create my first character in beta or release.

AsheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
basementclev2

they look great.

basementclev2 is offline   Reply With Quote