News    Guild    Options    More
Forums:   Guild,    Games,    Hardware,    Misc
Home 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 Forum Home > Miscellaneous > RL Discussion and Site Feedback > A Song of Ice and Fire goes to HBO

Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #41
perfect
Administrator

I *hate* that they are calling the series "Game of Thrones" instead of it's proper name.

So much hate.
Send a message via ICQ to perfect Send a message via AIM to perfect Send a message via MSN to perfect

I used to be so big and strong,
I used to know my right from wrong.
I used to never be afraid,
I used to be somebody.

-p

perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #42
AsheMan

Server: Hilsbury
Name: Skinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect View Post
I *hate* that they are calling the series "Game of Thrones" instead of it's proper name.

So much hate.
I can understand your hate, but you have to think about it from a marketing perspective. Changing the name of your super popular TV series every year has the potential to lose viewers because they might not even realize it's the same series.

AsheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #43
Fozzik

They should have called it Song of Ice and Fire from the beginning. I guess maybe they felt like that name would be as good for marketing, or something. People might assume it's a musical.

"Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

My blog - The Last Bastion

Fozzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #44
AsheMan

Ah, true.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #45
perfect
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
They should have called it Song of Ice and Fire from the beginning....
This. The series is called A Song of Ice and Fire, not Game of Thrones.

The Star Wars series is called Star Wars, not A New Hope or Attack of the Clones.

The Indiana Jones series is called Indiana Jones, not Raiders of the Lost Ark or, Gods forbid, The Crystal Skull.

The Hunger Games series is called The Hunger Games, not The Hunger Games. Wait, what?

The Star Trek series is called Star Trek, not Nemesis or Search for Spock.

The Harry Potter series is called Harry Potter, not I Wish I Had Paid More Attention To Emma Watson But I Did Call It Correctly With Evanna Lynch.

And on and on.

So much hate.
Send a message via ICQ to perfect Send a message via AIM to perfect Send a message via MSN to perfect

I used to be somebody.

-p

Old 03-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #46
AsheMan

For all that hate, you still love the series. Don't you?

Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #47
perfect
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsheMan View Post
For all that hate, you still love the series. Don't you?
I haven't seen the show. I've read all the books and they were a solid C. They aren't great by any means.

5000 pages when all you really need is about 1200. How many times do I need to read about the last time the threshes were changed in a room or exactly how many times and in which position someone did someone (spoilers!)?

I used to be somebody.

-p

Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #48
Fozzik

If you don't enjoy nakedness, dragons, and swordplay / beheadings... then it's not the series for you.

Personally, I can't think of any better combination of things in the whole world.

"Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #49
perfect
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
If you don't enjoy nakedness, dragons, and swordplay / beheadings... then it's not the series for you.

Personally, I can't think of any better combination of things in the whole world.
Oh, no, I enjoy most of that. I also enjoy engaging story. Which the books do not have and I refuse to watch the series for two reasons: 1) It won't be as good as the books (they never are) and the books weren't all that great to begin with, 2) They named it Game of Thrones, 3) It's on HBO.

For three reasons. Wait, I'll come in again.

I used to be somebody.

-p

Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #50
AsheMan

Quote:
Oh, no, I enjoy most of that. I also enjoy engaging story. Which the books do not have and I refuse to watch the series for two reasons: 1) It won't be as good as the books (they never are) and the books weren't all that great to begin with, 2) They named it Game of Thrones, 3) It's on HBO.

For three reasons. Wait, I'll come in again.
Maybe you'll find the HBO series condenses it into a more engaging story than what you experienced in the text simply because all the mundane stuff has been left out. And was that a knock on HBO? They make some of the best series you can find on TV. Or if you simply don't have HBO then you can find it through a variety of other sources I'm sure (the first season at least).

You really should watch it.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #51
Loampounder

Quote:

5000 pages when all you really need is about 1200. How many times do I need to read about the last time the threshes were changed in a room or exactly how many times and in which position someone did someone (spoilers!)?
The series has the same problem that VG has - potential. Those 5000 pages are setting up something, I just know it.

Loampounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #52
Fozzik

I actually decided to stop reading the series before the last book came out. He's taking so long to write them that I'm concerned he won't finish. I would be extremely mind-bogglingly frustrated if he continues the massive lead-up and then there's no conclusion.

I figured I'd spare myself the potential pain, and just wait until it was all completed before I read any more. I agree that it seems like the things brewing up north and several of the other plot lines MUST lead to a massive climax...if they don't I'll probably wack GRRM over the head with one of his trade paperback editions.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #53
AsheMan

Have you guys seen the graphic novel of A Game of Thrones? I think it came out yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-G.../dp/044042321X

Old 03-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #54
Maica56

I'm so impatient to see the next season!!
Here in Europe we still have to wait a bit... Do you know when does it begin at HBO? Thank you,

Maica56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #55
armsakimbo

I, for one, hope your employer refuses to pay for that post.

armsakimbo is offline   Reply With Quote