AsheMan

Server: Hilsbury
Name: Skinner

Default Legend of Grimrock

http://www.grimrock.net/

Quote:
Originally Posted by From their website

What is Legend of Grimrock?

-Old-school dungeon crawling game inspired by Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Ultima Underworld.

-Explore a vast dungeon riddled with hidden switches, pressure plates, sliding walls, trapdoors and more.

-Discover secrets, cast spells with runes and craft potions with herbs.

-Fight murderous monsters and seek lost artifacts in ancient tombs.

-Create a party of four characters and customize them with different races, classes, skills and traits.
Remember those old school Gauntlet/Labyrinth tile based RPGs? The ones where you had a piece of graph paper and mapped out the dungeons as you played? Well this is a throwback to those, but with some pretty nice graphics.

Pre-orders have started. If you order directly from the developer's site (the link at the top) you receive 20% discount, which makes the game about $12, some pre-order stuff like printable grid paper to make your own maps, some art, etc., and you get a standalone installer + a key to redeem on Steam.

I saw some videos and just had to pre-order. It will release April 11. Go check out the site and their videos.

AsheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Fozzik

That does look kind of neat and definitely old-school. I've never really played a game with that grid system...it was interesting seeing how the character and mobs moved. What is the purpose of that?

"Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

My blog - The Last Bastion

Fozzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
AsheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post
That does look kind of neat and definitely old-school. I've never really played a game with that grid system...it was interesting seeing how the character and mobs moved. What is the purpose of that?
It's considered tile-based movement. I'm sure it was originally designed that way to replicate the kind of dungeon crawl movements you had in table-top games like D&D as well as a lack of computing power for fluid 3d movement in the 80's.

The only purpose it serves in this new game is to give that old-school feel for those who played the old dungeon crawlers.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Vordox

OH! I need to get this! I love dungeon crawlers! Thanks for the heads up!

Vordox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
mmorpeegee

Yeah it's real time but with a delay which makes it almost like it's turn based, yet not.. It's the same as dice rolls basically, but unlike more modern games like EverQuest where you attack and then pause, then attack again etc.. the older games were the same but movement was subject to the pause as well, not just the attacks. So the computer moves to stand toe to toe with you, and then waits a few seconds, and then it can move again or attack. But the player plays in real time, so if you are fast you can attack, then side step and wait a sec, as they side step to face you, you quickly side step back... The time they spent trying to follow you wastes their turn, so when they come back to face you again, you can attack and then repeat the maneuver. So basically you can fight stuff without ever being hit. But if you get multiple opponents they can surround you and corner you and then it's action stations!

Not sure if this works exactly the same way or what, but it's worth playing either way. These types of games were just cool. They were mostly D&D based so you only had a limited number of spells and then you needed to camp to rest, and sometimes you would not be able to camp or you would get attacked. So it made for some really tricky fights when all you had left was a few "Light Heals" and one "Burning Hands" and you had to made do with that to fight a whole bunch of mobs. They also usually had emphasis on puzzles too. Lots of pressure plates which you have to figure out which pattern to press them in, and hidden buttons on a wall and levers you have to pull in the right sequence or whatever. Riddles, trap doors, ancient scrolls which need to be deciphered and then give you a hint on how to solve a puzzle later on, and if you don't do it properly you trigger a trap and poison your whole party or something.

Basically... proper old school RPG's, the way they should be.. from the olden days of the 80's and 90's, when gamers were smart and liked challenges. :P

Last edited by mmorpeegee : 03-28-2012 at 12:48 PM.

mmorpeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Vordox

Heres some video of Grimrock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzIiX...re=uploademail

Vordox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
AsheMan

Grimrock releases tomorrow. I'm excited to get some old school dungeon crawling going.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Fozzik

It does look really neat and nostalgic. I'll probably buy it at some point if I ever finish Reckoning.

"Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

My blog - The Last Bastion

Fozzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
perfect
Administrator

I don't even have the game and I already have buyer's remorse.
Send a message via ICQ to perfect Send a message via AIM to perfect Send a message via MSN to perfect

I used to be so big and strong,
I used to know my right from wrong.
I used to never be afraid,
I used to be somebody.

-p

perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
AsheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect View Post
I don't even have the game and I already have buyer's remorse.
Why is that?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
perfect
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsheMan View Post
Why is that?
I won't have time to play it and it's a stinky single player game. I...I just can't do it.

Quote:
<Paveourroads> in a multiplayer game, you can be all, "Look, I have cooler shit than you." in a singleplayer game, you're like, "OK, my stuff is cool." and you show people who come over to your house and they're like, "You're a loser." so you cry and die. >
Least I'm supporting the indy industry, right?
Send a message via ICQ to perfect Send a message via AIM to perfect Send a message via MSN to perfect

I used to be somebody.

-p

Old 04-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
AsheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect View Post
Least I'm supporting the indy industry, right?
That's right! Hopefully it'll be worth the investment. At least it was relatively cheap.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
perfect
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsheMan View Post
That's right! Hopefully it'll be worth the investment. At least it was relatively cheap.
That it was. If I get, say, 10 hours of play out of it, I will be happy. I hope the character creation is robust.

I used to be somebody.

-p

Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #14
mmorpeegee

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised I hope so anyway. I read that it can take up to about 30 hours to complete on average. Character creation looks cool too. It doesn't look like the most deep and complex of things for RPG tinkerers, but it's still better than pretty much anything else I've seen for the past 10 years :P

Old 04-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
AsheMan

Grimrock has released. I'm hearing good things about it. And I heard it can be fairly difficult. I can't play until I get off work in another four hours, but have any of you downloaded and fired it up?

Metacritic is at an 84 so far, which is really good for an indie game. It was also instantly the #1 seller on Steam.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #16
mmorpeegee

Played it for about 4 hours, I'm absolutely blown away. I was always excited about it, but deep down I wondered whether it would actually be much fun for me. I loved the old RPG's like Eye of the Beholder etc, but looking back at them objectively, they were very basic and lacked a lot of the depth I want in modern games. I was worried that Grimrock might just be a faithful remake of that old genre but not really do anything new.

To my amazement... they have delivered more than I even dreamt of. The leap forwards in graphics compared to those old 80's and early 90's games, is equivalent to the leap forward in gameplay too. There is loads of depth and customisation and progression and spells and skills and loots and all the good stuff you would want. The combat is pretty much amazing. It's pretty challenging! But I can't believe how well they managed to get the pace. It's fast and fluid and sometimes you play on the edge of your seat, having to hack with weapons, choose spells and shoot them, all while maneuvering and dodging etc. And yet it all happens at slow enough pace that it's not twitchy or spammy or button bashy, and you can always think about what you are doing.

They seem to have done such a good job, and I am so relieved and happy that it turned out this well!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
mmorpeegee

If anyone wants any tips or spoilers, let me know! I'm getting further in to the game and it sure gives you a challenge! So rare these days... I literally love it.

I'm gunna type this up before I forget and in case anyone wants it (including myself) in the future. I find that most of the puzzles take a few minutes of pondering but then you finally figure out. It's worth trying yourself so you get the satisfaction when you finally figure out OHHHH! But if you get totally stumped or are struggling with anything, here goes:

Let me know if I forgot any.

Last edited by mmorpeegee : 04-13-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
AsheMan

I was only able to play an hour or two last night, but I think it's great fun. It's a really well designed game that captures that old-school gameplay with a new-school presentation.

I hate to admit it, but I got stuck on Level 2 and had to ask my friend for advice. It was one of those, "D'oh! I should have figured that out!" moments. I love that there are plenty of secrets and you get that old-school chime and words, "You have found a secret!" I was so proud of myself for finding my first secret, then I noticed a sign on the wall essentially telling me there was secret in the room. I didn't feel quite so proud after that.

How have you made your party? I went with two warriors in the front ranks. One is an ax wielding Minotaur with tons of strength. He's kind of my berserker guy. The other warrior is a human tank that I'm going to get all armored up with sword and board. My back rank is a human rogue who specializes in throwing weapons and a human mage who is currently learning ice magic.

I haven't quite figured out magic, yet. Every time I try to cast a spell it just says my spell fizzled. I know it's rune based and you can combine them, but with such low skill level, all I can do is ice magic. Maybe I was hitting the wrong rune icon for ice. I think it was the bottom right.

If you're on the fence still, this game is totally worth the $15 price tag. It's even 10% off right now.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #19
mmorpeegee

Haha yeah finding secrets gives a real sense of wonder and a YAY ME! moment

As for solving puzzles and stuff, I find it's kinda random. I reckon it has more to do with what you have eaten that day (irl) and how much sleep you've had. I perform well at memory stuff when I'm in good form, but if I'm a bit weary or tired or hungry or something, I can't do shit basically. And if I'm reeeally tired then I need to stay well away from Everquest or I just end up de-leveling :P

As for my party, my first guy is a mino warrior and he has low to mid strength, as I put the majority of my points in to vitality and dexterity which seems to affect their ability to dodge and evade. I decided that I wanted him to focus mostly on surviving, and I would have my other guys do the damage. My second guy is a human rogue, and I cranked Dex but I think I put some points in to Vitality in him too, and maybe one or two in to strength. Both of these guys I chose avoidance as their skills too, I just want them to both be good at surviving and taking the brunt of all the damage, and let my back row do their thing.

In the back row I have two mages. One is an Earth/Lightning mage, and other is a Fire/Ice mage. So far though, with limited points, I have just been focusing all the points on their Spellpower and one of their talents. So Spellpower+Fire and Spellpower+Earth on the other guy. I was surprised to see no healer class, but it actually works out for the best imo because you don't have to fiddle around with little heals all the time and turns the focus entirely on actually fighting and running around dodging attacks

As for magic, it seems you have to play for a while until you can even use it, so the first while is spent with your melee guys doing all the work. Eventually you find spell tomes that show you a picture of what runes you need to click for that spell, or you can also figure it out through trial and error. But even once you know what runes to click, you also need to have the appropriate skill too, which only comes once you start leveling up and getting points to spend.

I freakin love this game I really hope it's a success so they can make more like it.

Last edited by mmorpeegee : 04-12-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #20
AsheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorpeegee View Post
I freakin love this game I really hope it's a success so they can make more like it.
I guarantee it's a major success for these guys. They're getting great reviews. It's still the #1 seller on Steam and GOG today. The critic reviews are all very good and the user reviews are even better. Word of mouth is spreading that this is a true indie gem.

What has the potential to be really cool is that they are going to release editing tools for users to make their own dungeons. Some people out there will probably be very creative with their dungeons and possibly extend the life of this game for much longer than the initial Grimrock dungeon.