News    Guild    Options    More
Forums:   Guild,    Games,    Hardware,    Misc
Home 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 Forum Home > Games > Guild Wars 2 > General Discussion > GW2 Preorder

Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #61
Vordox

yeah not sweating it as long as its not like over a week.

Vordox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #62
perfect
Administrator

Arena Net has done a really poor job with this whole pre-purchase thing. I can't even go to a place to login to see what Keys are with which account. I don't know if my CE Key got placed on my main account, my alt account or my spouse's account. I can't see if the accounts are created and in good standing, everything is OK with them. It's like the Keys went into a void.
Send a message via ICQ to perfect Send a message via AIM to perfect Send a message via MSN to perfect

I used to be so big and strong,
I used to know my right from wrong.
I used to never be afraid,
I used to be somebody.

-p

perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #63
Vordox

Yes they have done a poor job their site isn't even working either. I will give them til the end of the week before I spaz out about it though. That site should have been up and running.GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #64
perfect
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vordox2 View Post
Yes they have done a poor job their site isn't even working either. I will give them til the end of the week before I spaz out about it though. That site should have been up and running.GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!
Which site? They all appear to be working for me.
Send a message via ICQ to perfect Send a message via AIM to perfect Send a message via MSN to perfect

I used to be somebody.

-p

Old 04-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #65
Vordox

The Official/Beta forum site I actually got to log in but then it went offline. Day two and no download link either.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #66
perfect
Administrator

Quote:
The Official/Beta forum site I actually got to log in but then it went offline. Day two and no download link either.
Yeah, it was a mistake to have up to begin with. They Tweeted about that. Wasn't supposed to be up.

You won't have a download until they have a BWE set up. They Tweeted that that wouldn't occur until 'the end of April' (which could mean the 20th or 27th but more likely the 27th).

They are having a Stress Test tomorrow but that's not part of the pre-purchase program.

I wouldn't expect a download link until the 23rd.

I used to be somebody.

-p

Old 04-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #67
ForestWhitakerEye

Just went up on their facebook page.

Good news!First Beta Weekend Event will be from April 27-29. We will let you know once the client is ready for download.

We'll have a blog post with details about what and when you can play later today or tomorrow. If you haven't already: pre-purchase to participate! https://buy.guildwars2.com/ ~RB2

ForestWhitakerEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #68
perfect
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestWhitakerEye View Post
Just went up on their facebook page.

Good news!First Beta Weekend Event will be from April 27-29. We will let you know once the client is ready for download.

We'll have a blog post with details about what and when you can play later today or tomorrow. If you haven't already: pre-purchase to participate! https://buy.guildwars2.com/ ~RB2
I hate this whole 'let us post on Facebook or Twitter instead of using the, you know, *actual* website for the game' stuff that is happening across the web.

Going to make a new thread on this BWE, FWE.

I used to be somebody.

-p

Old 04-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #69
mmorpeegee

I agree! I hate facebook and twitter.

mmorpeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #70
Fozzik

I just added their facebook and twitter as RSS feeds on my home page. I don't have an account at either site, but I still get all the info.

I agree. I hate the social media tie-ins. The problem is the bazillion people who don't hate it.

"Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

My blog - The Last Bastion

Fozzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #71
Vordox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzik View Post

I agree. I hate the social media tie-ins. The problem is the bazillion people who don't hate it.
I agree! I do have a FB but it is not my real name. I always have been paranoid of strangers/Govt knowing my personal business.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #72
Fozzik

Quote:
I agree! I do have a FB but it is not my real name. I always have been paranoid of strangers/Govt knowing my personal business.
They do anyway. FB and Twitter and blogs make it dramatically easier to know everyone's personal info (also removes some of the legal issues since it's often posted in the public domain), but even without those things they know anything they care to know about everyone. Privacy is a myth, has been for a long time.

"Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

Old 04-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #73
mmorpeegee

They are everywhere!!!

Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #74
Vordox

Quote:
They do anyway. FB and Twitter and blogs make it dramatically easier to know everyone's personal info (also removes some of the legal issues since it's often posted in the public domain), but even without those things they know anything they care to know about everyone. Privacy is a myth, has been for a long time.
No really they don't. I have never put anything on the web except the most general mundane of things. I have never ever used my real name ever online. Privacy is a myth only if you trust the web with your info I never have given them my info to trust them with.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #75
Fozzik

Cellphones, satellites, video cameras everywhere, and the fact that pretty much every transaction you make in life is now online somewhere... even keeping personal info off the net doesn't help. Everyone is putting it up there for you.

The main thing that provides most of us with privacy is the fact that we're uninteresting. As long as we don't give them a reason to focus, we're lost in the noise.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #76
Vordox

Well yeah you got me on the other stuff but I was speaking of internet only. Oh so I'm uninteresting now am I? :P lol

Old 04-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #77
mmorpeegee

Quote:
Cellphones, satellites, video cameras everywhere, and the fact that pretty much every transaction you make in life is now online somewhere... even keeping personal info off the net doesn't help. Everyone is putting it up there for you.

The main thing that provides most of us with privacy is the fact that we're uninteresting. As long as we don't give them a reason to focus, we're lost in the noise.

It's even worse where I live, every city in the UK is now under 24 hour surveillance from cameras. If you drive too fast a camera at the side of the road photos your plate and sends a fine in the mail. And our phones, well even the newspapers are hacking those now :P

p.s. And when I say drive too fast, I mean, even if you drive 4 miles an hour over the limit, you get a 60 fine and 3 points.

Last edited by mmorpeegee : 04-20-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #78
Fozzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorpeegee View Post
It's even worse where I live, every city in the UK is now under 24 hour surveillance from cameras. If you drive too fast a camera at the side of the road photos your plate and sends a fine in the mail. And our phones, well even the newspapers are hacking those now :P

p.s. And when I say drive too fast, I mean, even if you drive 4 miles an hour over the limit, you get a 60 fine and 3 points.
Actually, there are areas in our state (Maryland) that are doing those same things. They even have mobile speed cameras that are mounted in vehicles so they can move them around from day to day and catch you unaware. They are made to look like abandoned cars.

It's possible to hack most cell phones and turn them into a microphone with relatively little hardware and know-how. It's also relatively easy to hack a PC (many programs are downloadable, you don't even have to know how to program) to turn on the webcam and record, and MOST devices now come with those cameras built in.

I could give numerous other examples...but the truth is that people freely gave up any possibility of privacy a long time ago due to many types of technology and ease of use. It still completely amazes me how many people use all these devices, and use social media, and still for some reason think that they have privacy. It's like a mass delusion or something...people are genuinely surprised. It's like people who leave expensive stuff in the bed of their pickup truck, or leave their helmet just sitting on their motorcycle seat. There's just sort of these unwritten rules that people expect others will follow. Weird.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #79
AsheMan

Server: Hilsbury
Name: Skinner

In WA state there has been a big push for intersection cameras that catch speeders, red-light runners, etc. and then mail out tickets, but over the last couple years there have been several court cases that deemed the traffic cameras tickets to be illegal and several cities have had to stop issuing tickets with them. I think they are primarily used as evidence in crashes and things now as opposed to issuing tickets.

I'm torn on the matter. I like the idea of idiots getting tickets, but I hate the idea of being spied on.

We're pretty off-topic now. Someone should make a new thread about this topic in our off topic area.

AsheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #80
Fozzik

They love the red light cameras in Maryland... they issue tons of tickets and I'm not sure any are getting overturned.

There was actually a kind of amusing case a while back, where an accident was caught on the red light cameras... a city bus crashed with another car, and a bunch of people jumped onto the bus AFTER it crashed, then a few minutes later started filing off the bus holding their necks and arms and legs feigning injuries. Tons of law suits got filed... before they knew they were on candid camera.

I'm a forum Darwinist... I like to allow threads to develop naturally.