News    Guild    Options    More
Forums:   Guild,    Games,    Hardware,    Misc
Home 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 Forum Home > Games > Guild Wars 2 > Professions > Favorite Profession or The Ones You Tried

Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
AsheMan

Server: Hilsbury
Name: Skinner

Default Favorite Profession or The Ones You Tried

What's been your favorite profession through this first BWE? Or which ones have you tried?

I spent most of my time playing a Charr Ranger. He's up to level 10. I like the ranged combat. I ended up using a longbow a majority of the time. I also skilled up the short bow, spear gun, and ax.

My pet was mildly useful. I chose a drake. He was super squishy. If I sent him to initiate a fight then he would die 90% of the time. I found good use of him was to initiate a fight myself, take a couple skill shots on the enemy and then send in the pet. The pet is able to take aggro almost instantly. His damage is fairly low.

AsheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Fozzik

I played warrior, I want to save the professions I'm most interested in until release. I've had a fun time... I'm level 12.

I learned all the skills for -

Greatsword
Hammer
sword + shield
Sword + axe
Mace + axe
Axe + mace
Gun
Long bow

Out of all of those, I enjoyed greatsword, hammer, and gun the most. I used long bow quite a bit, too.

"Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

My blog - The Last Bastion

Fozzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
perfect
Administrator

I took a Mesmer to 13, best was a Greatsword, Sword and Pistol

Guardian to 17, Mace and Shield, Hammer

Thief to 14, Dagger and Pistol, Shortbow.

Elementalist to 10, this is hard cause each attunement gives you 20 different skills. Staff for support (water/wind), Scepter and Dagger for DPS (fire/earth).

Thief SUCKED in WvW. Hated it. Best PvE class I did. Mesmer was a blast in WvW but nearly completely useless. Guardian...I needed more competent players to make it useful.
Send a message via ICQ to perfect Send a message via AIM to perfect Send a message via MSN to perfect

I used to be so big and strong,
I used to know my right from wrong.
I used to never be afraid,
I used to be somebody.

-p

perfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
mmorpeegee

I did Thief and Elementalist, both up to about level 14 (did pretty much everything possible including some pvp).

They are both incredibly fun, although Elementalist is more my style.

Elementalist works like this:
You are extremely squishy, so you have to be prepared to play evasively, diving around shooting spells - even against 1 target. With multiple targets you have to kite them in circles, but like this you can take on pretty much any melee mobs.

You have several weapons, each giving you 5 different spells. They can't use as many as a warrior, but with each weapon you also have 4 different attunements - Fire / Earth / Water / Air-Lightning. Fire seems to be the most damage, but the big fireball flies a little bit slowly, so I am expecting it might not be that great in PVP against fast moving targets. Lightning does less damage but it's a bit snappier, and unlike fire, one of them stuns the enemies which makes it very useful in some situations. Water lets you do healing while you damage, and earth I didn't play much because it didn't look too interesting - I think it's more of a buff type. All of these change with different weapons, although they still keep that kind of theme.

As for the skills you can unlock with points, there is some really nice variety with that. There are some skills that let you summon some cool weapons and give them to people. I'm not sure how good these weapons are, but I'm guessing it's gotta be more than just for fun - they seem like they might be useful on specific encounters or raids. The other skills are all typical mage type stuff. I chose one which summons an elemental which changes depending on your attunement - fire summons a phoenix which flies around shooting stuff, water is a water ele, etc.. Not sure how the effects of each elemental differs (if at all). It's only a Lesser elemental so far though so it doesn't last that long and cant take much of a beating, but its still worth using. My second skill roots the target in place for 3 seconds which is so great as a mage, especially if you use it in a clever way with some of your spells that do damage to a location. Third skill I picked was an instant nuke which always does a crit, and fourth skill was the same again but an AE version which does less damage to each target but if you have a bunch of targets it would do a lot of damage in total. Thats about all I could afford at level 14 but it still was fun as hell to play and provides lots of variety.

Lightning gives you a run speed buff, briefly, by the way. Most of the time I just focused on fire and lightning. Earth looks a bit boring, and water is for healing otherwise not much use. But I think if you are going to be a serious high level Elementalist, you will not only need to use all of these, but switch weapons regularly too, to do extra stuff at the right moment - like teleport quite a long distance instantly.

Rogue
The rogue is really great too. I only tried two weapon sets because they seemed to be the best, the others didn't interest me. (I wont play the rogue on release because of this). They can use a Short Bow (not longbow), but they are very good with it. Their main attack splinters off and damages other mobs which means you have to be careful using it to 'pull', but its generally powerful and great. You can kite using the bow by just running in circle and shooting stuff as it chases. They another bow attack slows the targets movement and attacks which is nice. And one which lets you shadowstep instantly to wherever you shoot (you can then switch to melee weapons and kick ass, or whatever). The other weapon set I used was 2 daggers which was a lot of fun. The damage output like this is pretty amazing, dropping a mob just 5 seconds or so. But you are also very vulnerable fighting stuff toe to toe as you are pretty much just as squishy as an Elementalist. One of the abilities does more damage depending on how injured the mob is, so this is great for finishing stuff off. You can do huge hits like that. You can also throw some bombs which are really nice. There is an AE attack which has you jump all over the place and slash everything, but this seems very weak to me. They also can chuck daggers or something which cripple the mobs legs, this is probably my favourite of all the rogues attacks because its just so powerful - it also splinters and hits other mobs nearby too.

They evade and heal with the same skill, it takes several seconds to activate so you have to be careful and think ahead and use it as soon as things start looking bad, although you can run and dodge while its charging up. When it triggers, you go invisible for only about 2 or 3 seconds which is annoyingly short, but it gives you a nice little heal at the same time and it's usually good enough to get out of trouble. Mobs also lose you in that time too so in PVE, they usually all pick new targets in that time - unless its a bunch chasing you by yourself.

As for the skills, instead of getting lots of little ones I decided to save all my points for the big 6 point awesome looking ones. The first one I got was a trap that ambushes the victim with another rogue. This turned out to be a bit of a let down. It's not really useless, and you should use it all the time once you have it, but the rogue that pops up is very weak and lasts a very short time. The Elementalists elemental was the same number of points and is probably twice as strong and lasts twice as long. This little rogue is good for distracting your enemies while you are escaping though, and in a fight it can be a bit more dps. But it takes only a few hits before it dies, and even when not attacked, it only sticks around about 10 seconds or so. The second skill I got was the one which sticks them in place for 3 seconds, which I find very useful for escaping or to use and then get some distance and switch to the bow to smack them down. There is another skill I really wanted but didn't have enough points, which puts a random positive effect on you, and a random negative effect on the enemy. I think that would be really useful. I think the Elementalist has the same skill, but on a Thief which is very much a "1 vs 1 to the death" kind of guy, I think this would be great to have.

Apparently by the max level you can have all of these skills.

Last edited by mmorpeegee : 04-30-2012 at 01:51 AM.

mmorpeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
ForestWhitakerEye

I played a necromancer to 20 and not much else.

I wanted to build the necro as a total minion master. I'm not entirely sure how well it worked out, to be honest.

Minions are generally super squishy but I still appreciated having them to draw some attention off me. Necros start with Blood Fiend as a heal, which is a minion that you can sac for a not terribly powerful heal. What was interesting about this guy is that if he dies in combat, there's no cooldown for summoning another, but if you sac him for health there's a 20 second CD. It's a little awkward if he dies though because you have to cast 2 spells to get a heal (resummon+sac). I kept meaning to try Well of Blood, which would have initially healed me for the same amount as the fiend, but then regenerated everyone in the area, but I was being all Minion Master so I never did.

One weird thing about minions is that they don't regenerate health. At least they don't decay like they did in GW1, but it will still somewhat annoying to see that you're travelling around with 90% dead minions and no way to sac them, knowing they're going to die instantly in the next combat and trigger a 20-30 sec CD before you can resummon them. The Bone Fiend and Shadow Fiend had abilities when summoned (next attack roots and next attack blinds, more or less) which didn't involve sacrificing them. When I got 20, I also got two Bone Minions, which are little minions which you can explode one of them for AoE damage. For the most part I just never did, I appreciated they were tanking for me (to some degree) and didn't want to blow them up and remove that. Due to the fog of war (and that I had 5 minions), it was also rare that I would see that one of them was at low life and want to blow it up. There was also an immobile undead frost wurm ranged attacking minion, but I never bought the skill.

When I hit 15, I got my first minor trait, which was some chance (seemed like a high chance) of creating a Jagged Horror when I killed something. These are tiny minions that do decay health. It was pretty awesome though when I teamed up with a water elementalist who was doing a Soothing Mist as it slightly more than offset their decay (my screen had tons of +20s and -19s), so that let me maintain at least 4 horrors in addition to all the regular minions.

When I hit 20, I got a major trait. I was tempted to do "Minions have more health" but instead I went with "Minions explode in a cloud of poison when they die", because if there's one thing about minions, it's that they die. Another option was "Minions do 30% more damage". I can definitely see this being a trait line you should put 30 points into if you're going this route.

I mostly used a Staff which is interesting. The #1 is a standard attack, but #2-#5 all put a mark on the ground which triggers when an enemy goes on it, it's basically like a ranged trap, but you can cast it right on an enemy to trigger instantly. I honestly couldn't even remember what they did, and I'm pretty sure some of them were combo initiators and some were combo finishers. Anyway, it was pretty much 2-3-4-5 (which would take a normal mob to half and put like 5 conditions on them, including a brief fear) then switch to scepter or axe and cast a couple things and then switch back (pausing to recast 2 or 3 minions, sigh). If you cast it on a group it hits all of them so that's good, but it is a somewhat small radius. The trait line I was in had a trait to increase the radius and another one to reduce staff CD by 15%, so if you hate minions you can go that route.

Axe/Scepter+Focus/Warhorn were all good medium range options. Main hand dagger seemed like a true melee option and I used that for about 5 seconds before deciding against it.

Mostly I didn't have any trouble in PVE. It was really only against a strong champion or if a DE spawned a swarm of mobs that I'd die instantly. Seemed really either/or. I did have the Death Shroud to buy time but often the blood fiend was dead when I came out so I'd sometimes die before I could double cast into that weak heal. One of my personal story missions had me and one NPC fighting two veteran shamans at the same time. They attacked right after another fight and I had to run, but when I came back at full strength I could handle them with only a little difficulty.

All in all I had fun. Not sure I'm going to play one on release (eventually but probably not right away). They didn't seem especially underpowered or overpowered (at least not the way I built it). Sorry for the wall of text, it's kind of my thing.

Last edited by ForestWhitakerEye : 04-30-2012 at 04:48 PM.

ForestWhitakerEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
mmorpeegee

Wall of text is good when it's my favourite topic Necro sounds interesting.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Vordox

@ Forest

You totally played the Necro wrong seriously. If you are using staff like you say you have theres a lil spell called mark of blood. If you place it where the pets are attacking it heals the pets too.Also out of battle (or in) you can use "Well of Blood" and heal both you and your pets to full.(ok maybe not full for you but pets it will)

I played a Necro to 22 and went the same build as you Forest and while I never felt overpowered I felt pretty stable. I knew when I had bit off to much thats for sure lol. The axe seemed to be doing the best damage for me yet I couldn't find a good upgrade I was getting mostly staves and horns.

The flesh worm saved me alot but I think I used it for an exploit. If you set him down outside of danger and you go into the heat of battle and you are feeling overwhelmed you can hit Necrotic transversal and port to the worm out of danger. I think in PvP that could be quite the get of danger free card. It seemed like I almost could place him any distance away. Couple times I had bad placement and ported to the middle of some event with mobs headed right toward me lol.

All in all I enjoyed playing Necro however if you want any loot do aoes if you are in the zerge otherwise you dont have the time to use single target spells before mob dies. I found it was best to AoE and pick up more loot.

I will be playing an Asura Nec on release,Ranger next after that.I like pets always have.

Last edited by Fozzik : 05-02-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Vordox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Vordox

edited

~fozz

Last edited by Fozzik : 05-02-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
AsheMan

Name: Skinner

edit
~fozz

I died a lot with my thief, but I'm absolutely sure I was playing him wrong and not taking advantage of all that the class offered. I'm still unsure how to successfully use the dodge feature. It seemed like I would dodge and the mob would just smack me anyways so I stopped trying it.

Last edited by Fozzik : 05-02-2012 at 10:45 AM.

AsheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
Fozzik

Let's keep private conversations in private, and not air it out on the boards. There was definitely a misunderstanding, and hopefully we can work things out. For the moment, let's let it drop.

If there are any further issues like this, please bring them to perfect or me in PMs. thanks.

Back on topic, please.

"Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

Old 05-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
perfect
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsheMan View Post
...I died a lot with my thief, but I'm absolutely sure I was playing him wrong and not taking advantage of all that the class offered. I'm still unsure how to successfully use the dodge feature. It seemed like I would dodge and the mob would just smack me anyways so I stopped trying it.
There is definitely a skill to it. Once I understood what I was supposed to be doing, it was skill hard to do it. On the few times I did it correctly, I felt like a God. Most of the time, though, I just died.
Send a message via ICQ to perfect Send a message via AIM to perfect Send a message via MSN to perfect

I used to be somebody.

-p

Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
Fozzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect View Post
There is definitely a skill to it. Once I understood what I was supposed to be doing, it was skill hard to do it. On the few times I did it correctly, I felt like a God. Most of the time, though, I just died.
That's one of the coolest things about the system, though. Before too long, you can clearly see just how awesome it's possible to be...it'll just take a lot of time to get there. Goals to work towards are great for longevity of a game. I can see myself a year from now being a complete ninja with my chosen class, and dumbfounding newer players (how the **** did he do that?!).

Old 05-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
mmorpeegee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsheMan View Post
I'm absolutely sure I was playing him wrong and not taking advantage of all that the class offered.
To be honest I doubt any of us new people played our classes super well, and that's the coolest thing about this game. The combat is actually challenging and finally we have a game with new stuff we have to learn. I am so tired of the same old MMO's each year, where you stand toe to toe with the mob and hit 1,2,3,4,4,4,4,4. This game plays very differently to that, and that makes it pretty fresh I reckon.

I think I had issues with not taking advantage of all my class had to offer too. For example with my Mage, I looked at all the 40 something different spells with all the different weapons and I decided it was too hard to master everything, so I would just focus on using a staff which seemed my favourite overall. So I got really good at playing with just the staff and I could do pretty much anything. However I did get in to trouble a few times and when I tried to escape, the mobs chased me and beat me to death. Then later on I saw a mage using a different set of weapons and she had a spell that EXPLODES her in to the horizon at like 100 miles an hour and she must have flown about 100 feet (in relative game terms).

So yeah, I realised how my short sighted approach was already putting me at a disadvantage. I need to remain good at fighting with my staff, but I need to at LEAST switch to whatever weapons set that was, at least for escaping bad situations... And no doubt there are other things I need to remember and use too.

But then, I only got to level 15 and there are 80 levels? So we have plenty of time to master our classes!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
Vordox

I totally agree my biggest problems were mapping keys and remembering what did what still lol. I studied a lot about my spells but you are never really sure what they really do until you use them. I used this a lot everyday http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#n;Xap...aaa;YbZa;YdWeY just looking and hypothesizing

Plus I have not really been in a full group so no idea how I'm going to play in that situation. We are basically all newbs playing on the fly a bit.

I also agree with Fozz by this time next year we will probably be on our A game. The whole point though is fun even if it takes you longer or if you never quite get but adequate. As long as you are enjoying yourself and the game thats what it is all about.

We also need to understand we never (at least I didn't) got to work with the power slots in our gear. I had like two empty slots filled but I'm sure there are nice epic ones too. Plus my gear was pretty sub par I was still wearing a couple level 11 pieces at 22 so this is a factor we havent dug into a lot.

When I hear people say my class is FUBARed at this juncture I'm like. "How can you possibly know after a weekend?" There was so much I still hadn't used or tried. I mean those power slots being filled could actually be the key mixed with the proper gear making you less squishy you know?

I'm loving the idea of finding my answers and creating the perfect character thats for sure.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #15
mmorpeegee

Yeah exactly, that's partly why I'm so in love with the game. I love pondering all the different stats and what they do, and sadly most other MMO's these days all use the same old D&D inspired stuff we have had for decades. STR/CON/AGI/INT etc..

With this game I'm going to enjoy playing it and working all the stuff out. The weapons will take me a long time, but I'm also interested in the gear. Most of the stuff on my Ele had power on it which made my damage better. But because I was sooooo squishy, I started using the other stuff (vitality and the other one) and it made me feel more substantial. And then with my Rogue I started giving him "Precision" stuff which lowered his damage in general but made him more prone to crits. I think that fits better seeing as he tended to spend most of the time jumping in to a fight and doing a few hits and then getting out of there. I also gave him some vitality stuff too. Having more HP as a bigger buffer seemed nice.

I have no idea if this was worthwhile or not, but it's at least fun trying stuff out.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #16
Fozzik

Traits will be quite significant, too. Maybe even more than gear. Being able to raise a couple stats and get a few more fairly powerful alterations to your skills will likely make a big difference.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
Jave

Name: Tauran
Guild: Fabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect View Post
I took a Mesmer to 13, best was a Greatsword, Sword and Pistol

Guardian to 17, Mace and Shield, Hammer

Thief to 14, Dagger and Pistol, Shortbow.

Elementalist to 10, this is hard cause each attunement gives you 20 different skills. Staff for support (water/wind), Scepter and Dagger for DPS (fire/earth).

Thief SUCKED in WvW. Hated it. Best PvE class I did. Mesmer was a blast in WvW but nearly completely useless. Guardian...I needed more competent players to make it useful.
I was interested in playing a Mesmer. I've always played a healer or Wizard/Mage class. Kinda bored with that, wanted to try a totally different class. The Mesmer sounded interesting. Can you elaborate a bit on the class? I don't have the game yet.
Send a message via AIM to Jave

Jave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
Fozzik

Here's some mesmer info -
http://www.arena.net/blog/link-roundup-the-mesmer

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...t-videos-here/

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...ssions/mesmer/

Old 05-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #19
perfect
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jave View Post
I was interested in playing a Mesmer. I've always played a healer or Wizard/Mage class. Kinda bored with that, wanted to try a totally different class. The Mesmer sounded interesting. Can you elaborate a bit on the class? I don't have the game yet.
It sounds better on paper than in gameplay. They are a Ranged Support Class, think Enchanter from EQ. They have a moderate amount of CC (depending on weapons) but their staple is their illusions: Most abilities create a mirror image of yourself. I did not find this handy in PvE because the mobs died so fast that they didn't have time to attack my illusions. In PvP, it could be very effective because players lost track of which was the real you. Or they could be paying attention and ignore your illusions.

I feel as if the Mesmer has a role to play but doesn't quite fit into that role yet or the role has not been defined very well. All that being said, a well played Mesmer is a thing of beauty. Just not effectual beauty.

I used to be somebody.

-p

Old 05-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
Jave

Name: Tauran
Guild: Fabled

I have seen it stated that one of the attempts of GW2 is to break the holy trinity of group balance to make everyone equally important. Since I haven't seen it in action I can't speak to it's success, however that's a dangerous path. You could tread dangerously close to making it a game of thousands and thousands of soloer's. While I think the idea of cruising around joining multiple events sounds like a blast, it could lead to a spastic, frenzied situation were everyone is just going full speed from event to event all day long. Is this really to going promote community? Those in beta could answer that better then myself, but it could be a raging success, or monster failure.

It turns out I might be able to afford the game in the next couple weeks so I will be able to speak from a more educated point of view. There are just random thoughts as of now.......
Send a message via AIM to Jave

Jave is offline   Reply With Quote