News    Guild    Options    More
Forums:   Guild,    Games,    Hardware,    Misc
Home 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 Forum Home > Silky Venom Guild Forums > Guild Lobby > Hello Silky Venom ...yet another MMORPG veteran

Old 12-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Severoth

Default Hello Silky Venom ...yet another MMORPG veteran

I just discovered Vangaurd:SoH 2 days ago. After digging through the official page, soon-to-close official forums, and affiliated fan-sites, I'm very impressed and enthusiastic. Silky Venom's site has been extremely useful. A big "thank you" to this site's developers and administrators. Pat yourself on the back for recruiting another future subscriber to Vanguard If Vangaurd's developers can accomplish 2/3's of what they've stated, I'll be hooked for a long time.

Another big "thank you" to those who have been sharing their Beta and E3 expriences via write-ups, FAQ's, forum discussions, screenshots, and videos.

I really like the community you've fostered here at Silky Venom, and I'll be following closely. Depending how servers work out (time-zones, etc.), I would be interested in the Silky Venom Guild once the game goes live.

Anyhoo...keep up the great work, Silky Venom peeps!

My background: (skip for those who aren't bored enough to bother reading...I know I probably would)

Yes, I'm yet another MMORPG veteran, though not dating as far back as many. I've only been into the genre for a little over 4 years. I started playing EQ in the Velious era during my first year of college with some RL friends. After playing EQ "hardcore" well into the PoP era, I finally left due to RL time constraints and frustation/boredom with the state of EQ.

I played SWG for several months just after its release. I realized that combat was still too repetitive and many mechanics of the game just weren't well thought-out/developed/fleshed-out.

Then I played CoH for a couple months. Even though gameplay was mind-numbingly repititive, when I reached level 40 (max level at the time), I realized practically no end-game content existed.

Then I played WoW. I guess I opted for WoW instead of EQ2 because of the bitter taste left in my mouth from SOE/Verant from EQ. Also, it actually appeared that WoW was addressing many of the down-sides that existed in EQ. I had to admit it had me captivated for quite a while. Finally, after hardcore raiding way too many times what little end-game content existed, I became bored with its repititive, pointless gameplay, too. Not to mention, the community full of trigger-happy, 12-yr-old, battle.net kids was very annoying.

I even dabbled into Guild Wars briefly, only to realize it was a cheaper and still repetitive version of the previous MMORPG's.

Currently, I'm enjoying EVE-online. This game caters to a very different crowd, albeit a very mature and hardcore crowd. It's a very deep and complicated game. It, like most other games, has it's ups and downs. At least, it has a dynamic world where players actions have real effects on the world and real consequences. Epic PvP with a purpose (territorial gain) drives this game. I guess its refreshing approach still has me captivated.

I'm looking for a good fantasy-based MMORPG. I need my Evercrack fix, I guess. So, I, too, am impatiently awaiting the arrival of Vanguard.

Like many of you, I'm still searching for that "magic" that I originally (and have yet to again) experienced in EQ. It kept me hooked and enjoying gameplay for a long time. To that end, I'm very excited about Vanguard.

Currently playing EVE-online

Last edited by Severoth : 12-13-2005 at 02:38 PM.

Severoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
Orlun
Content Team/Not Oloh

Welcome and thank you for the compliments.
Send a message via MSN to Orlun

Orlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #3
Skarlath

Welcome to Silky Venom, Severoth.

Always nice to see yet another MMO refugee setting their heart on Vanguard.

Skarlath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:35 PM   #4
Havelock

Hiya and welcome!

Havelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
Feyshtey
Staff Artist

Welcome

Severoth sounds very familiar to me... Which EQ server did you play on?
Send a message via ICQ to Feyshtey Send a message via MSN to Feyshtey Send a message via Yahoo to Feyshtey

Feyshtey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:45 PM   #6
Fozzik

Welcome to Silky Venom, and to Vanguard. =)

"Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

My blog - The Last Bastion

Fozzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
Severoth

Default Servers...

Thanks for the warm welcome.

In EQ, I played on the Sarnyn server (split from Bristlebane(?), I believe, before my time), though Severoth wasn't my main cahracter. I had several RL friends on that server.

In SWG, I played on the Gorath(sp?) and Starsider servers.

In CoH, I played on the Protector server.

In WoW, I played on the Stormrage server (EST).

Last edited by Severoth : 12-13-2005 at 04:01 PM.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:04 PM   #8
Feyshtey
Staff Artist

Hmmm, not sure why the name is familiar then. Because none of those servers are
Send a message via ICQ to Feyshtey Send a message via MSN to Feyshtey Send a message via Yahoo to Feyshtey

Feyshtey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:15 PM   #9
Severoth

Default Classes of interest

By the way, I usually play caster-oriented classes. So I'm particularly interested in the offensive casters (espsecially sorcerer, psionicist, and necromancer) and the healers (especially Blood Mage and Shaman). Though, I'm willing to give the dread knight and bard some consideration. Who knows at this point, until more information is released regarding class abilities and play styles.

I have to admit that I was never a fan of melee classes. This is probably just because they were so boring back in EQ (auto-attack, while warriors spam taunt and rogues spam backstab, etc.).

In EQ, I played a wizard. In WoW, I played a shaman (main) and mage.

Last edited by Severoth : 12-13-2005 at 06:34 PM.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:44 PM   #10
Orlun
Content Team/Not Oloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severoth
I have to admit that I was never a fan of melee classes. This is probably just because they were so boring back in EQ (auto-attack, while warriors spam taunt and rogues spam backstab, etc.).

In EQ, I played a wizard. In WoW, I played a shaman (main) and mage.
You read this info on melee combat yet?
Send a message via MSN to Orlun

Orlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #11
Severoth

Thanks for the link, Orlun. I was fortunate to have already stumbled across Oloh's posts and read them thoroughly (and thanks to Oloh for taking the time to share his info and perspective with us).

Vanguard seems to be making melee classes have the myriad of abilities that casters have. So yes, melee classes seem much more interesting. Who knows, I may take up a melee class and love it. If not, I'm very excited for people who do play melee classes because their classes have gotten some much needed flavor and enterainment boosts. The same goes for healers. No longer are they just "heal-bots" or "buff-bots." Sorry, I got a bit off-topic there.

Like I said, until more info is released on class abilities, it's still way to early to rule out any class. Although, from a personal RP perspective, I prefer the idea of playing as a caster (just a personal preference there).

Last edited by Severoth : 12-14-2005 at 02:28 AM.