News    Guild    Options    More
Forums:   Guild,    Games,    Hardware,    Misc
Home 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 Forum Home > Miscellaneous > Fozzik's Hardware > A couple of reformat-related questions...

Old 02-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
Doresain
Silky Venom Guest Contributor

Server: Shidreth
Name: Doresain Courdelion

Default A couple of reformat-related questions...

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions for your tech-savvy minds to mull over, if you're so inclined

I'm looking to format my machine this weekend and get a fresh start. At the moment, I have two 160GB drives in a RAID-0 array, and I'm looking to stop using RAID (as the performance gain is, supposedly, very small on a desktop machine). I'll be installing a new motherboard at the same time. Since my OS is on a seperate 40GB Raptor, is there any way to 1) dissolve the partitioning system that exists on this array and 2) go back to two independant drives, on a different mobo, without losing the data stored there?

My second question involves Windows x64. Basically, is it a worthwhile performance gain on a 64-bit CPU given that 64-bit apps (vanguard) will be coming out? I had planned on not upgrading till Vista, but since it is not due out till December, and thus not stable for a good 16 months at least, I'm really looking at a different 64-bit OS solution. Unfortunatly I don't know anyone who owns the OS, and I'm certainly not going to try using a cracked OS from an unreliable source. This means that the performance gain would have to be fairly significant to merit the $150+ I'd need to spend on the new OS.

I'm appriciative of any help or insight you might have
Send a message via AIM to Doresain Send a message via MSN to Doresain

Doresain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
Lord_Vyper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doresain
I'm looking to format my machine this weekend and get a fresh start. At the moment, I have two 160GB drives in a RAID-0 array, and I'm looking to stop using RAID (as the performance gain is, supposedly, very small on a desktop machine). I'll be installing a new motherboard at the same time. Since my OS is on a seperate 40GB Raptor, is there any way to 1) dissolve the partitioning system that exists on this array and 2) go back to two independant drives, on a different mobo, without losing the data stored there?
When you break a RAID array, the data goes byebye (except for RAID1). No way around that unfortunately.

Quote:
My second question involves Windows x64. Basically, is it a worthwhile performance gain on a 64-bit CPU given that 64-bit apps (vanguard) will be coming out? I had planned on not upgrading till Vista, but since it is not due out till December, and thus not stable for a good 16 months at least, I'm really looking at a different 64-bit OS solution. Unfortunatly I don't know anyone who owns the OS, and I'm certainly not going to try using a cracked OS from an unreliable source. This means that the performance gain would have to be fairly significant to merit the $150+ I'd need to spend on the new OS.
From everything I've read, the performance gains for switching to XP 64 aren't enough to justify the potential hassle.
Stick with XP 32 till Vista comes out.
Send a message via ICQ to Lord_Vyper Send a message via AIM to Lord_Vyper Send a message via MSN to Lord_Vyper Send a message via Yahoo to Lord_Vyper

Lord_Vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
Belisarius

I agree with the snake above me, stick with 32 bit for the moment.

As far as RAID is concerned, I have no bloody idea.

Belisarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:02 AM   #4
Doresain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Vyper
When you break a RAID array, the data goes byebye (except for RAID1). No way around that unfortunately.
Bummer. Will the data be safe if I switch to another mobo with RAID enabled, or is it wiped out in that case as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Vyper
From everything I've read, the performance gains for switching to XP 64 aren't enough to justify the potential hassle.
Stick with XP 32 till Vista comes out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisarius
I agree with the snake above me, stick with 32 bit for the moment.
The people have spoken, and they say "32 bit."

Old 02-08-2006, 03:26 AM   #5
Lord_Vyper

Quote:
Bummer. Will the data be safe if I switch to another mobo with RAID enabled, or is it wiped out in that case as well?
Very, very, very doubtful, but not impossible.
If your old RAID controller is the EXACT same make/model as the new one, it may work. If not, it won't.
Dump the info in your RAID onto CD/DVDs, or an external drive.

Just assume that anything you do to change the array will destroy whatever data's on that array.
Send a message via ICQ to Lord_Vyper Send a message via AIM to Lord_Vyper Send a message via MSN to Lord_Vyper Send a message via Yahoo to Lord_Vyper

Lord_Vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:32 AM   #6
Doresain

Ugh. >stares at 160Gb of data< Well, thanks. Time to get to it

Old 02-08-2006, 04:25 AM   #7
Razorwire

RAID isn't supposed to be moved, and it isn't meant to have to deal with new controlers (the big scare of RAID is a fragged controller) you are going to have to back up the 160gb of data some where else then break the array you won't be able to transfer it from one mobo to another. It's really a server thing where you set it up and let it run until you retire the server after 3-5 years.
Send a message via MSN to Razorwire

Razorwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:28 AM   #8
Doresain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorwire
RAID isn't supposed to be moved, and it isn't meant to have to deal with new controlers (the big scare of RAID is a fragged controller) you are going to have to back up the 160gb of data some where else then break the array you won't be able to transfer it from one mobo to another. It's really a server thing where you set it up and let it run until you retire the server after 3-5 years.
Yeah, this is why I'm moving away from it now. Yay for DVD burners.