Home 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

0 Forum Home > Miscellaneous > Fozzik's Hardware > Fozzik's Recommendations

Old 02-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #21
Nubb

Server: Shidreth
Name: Nubblubbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzik
Actually, I don't take vendor into consideration either, except just for an example's sake. ;)

As I say in the articles, I just post Newegg prices and links because their site is (in my mind) by far the easiest to navigate and they have pretty much the best selection anywhere.[snip...]
Right, and I agree it's wise to stick with one vendor for your recommendations. I'm just recommending a cheaper alternative to anyone that might be reading this thread.

Which brings me to the idea of posting a "Vendor Recommendations" thread, think I'll go do that. Where folks can post about sites they've used and trust, and others can read for reference.

Nubb

Nubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:27 PM   #22
Fozzik

Well, I probably don't need to post which site I like best.

I was going to rant about how crappy the site navigation is on pretty much every other site, but that's not really helpful I don't think.

I wonder if getting a list of vendors going by region would be useful. I know people overseas can't necessarily order from the same sites we can in the US. From what I've seen, it's even harder to find decent selection and prices.

Fozzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:03 AM   #23
JAdams

Hey all. Just wanted to say a quick thanks to you all, in particular to Fozzik. I'm wanting to build myself a new computer in the next week or so, and Fozzik's articles and lurking around the boards has been very helpful!

Thanks again!

JAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:30 AM   #24
Fozzik

Welcome to the boards! Let us know how it goes.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #25
rabb1t

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdams
I'm wanting to build myself a new computer in the next week or so
I'm sure you've heard it before, but...

/panic
Don't do it. Wait for the M2.
/panic

You probably will want to still build 939 after M2's launch, but I highly recommend waiting the few months to see what it brings to the table if you can.

“Hey, can I get a buff in case we go back to pwning their doods? kthx.” - Belkar Bitterleaf, The Order of the Stick

rabb1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #26
JAdams

Hmmm... ok, I think I'll do that. It'll give me more time to save up, anyway

Any ideas on a relatively cheap AGP motherboard/processor/RAM combination? My current rig has problems, and I'd like to switch those components out so I at least have a workable comp. I'll probably turn it into a Linux box once I build my gaming rig.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:46 PM   #27
rabb1t

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdams
Any ideas on a relatively cheap AGP motherboard/processor/RAM combination?
Why would you want to stick with AGP?

“Hey, can I get a buff in case we go back to pwning their doods? kthx.” - Belkar Bitterleaf, The Order of the Stick

Old 02-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #28
Fozzik

I'm guessing because his current vid card is AGP. he's only talking about replacing mobo/cpu/ram.

JAdams, what type of problems is the current computer having? Are you sure it's something where you need to replace a bunch of components?

Pretty much most AGP mobos are going to be cheaper now...they are on the way out. Give me a money ballpark and we should be able to find something without too much trouble.

*the ninja smiley has nothing to do with the post, he's just cool...maybe he'll flip out and kill some people*

Old 02-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #29
rabb1t

We also need to know what kind of performance and resolution you'd expect from that PC so we can con you into PCIe.

*twitches at the thought of a new build being AGP based*

At least let us con ya into a hybrid.

Last edited by rabb1t : 02-05-2006 at 07:01 PM.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:05 PM   #30
JAdams

It's... odd... Anytime I try to play any sort of 3D game (Neverwinter Nights or Jedi Academy, for example) The thing crashes... It'll play for a little while (anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour) and it'll crash (and it might give an error message, it might just quit to the desktop, or it might even spontaneously reboot). Non 3d games I can play (like Space Empires IV, or the Avernum series, a couple of shareware favorites).

Here's what I've got now:
* 900MHz socket 370 cpu (I don't remember exactly what it is, it's not a PIII, it's the cheaper Intel chip)
* FIC FA15T 1st Mainboard
* ~256MB RAM, dunno what brand
* a GeForce MX4000 (replacing a GeForce 2, just to make sure it wasn't the vid card giving me trouble)
* a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 sound card

Anyway, I've tried upgrading drivers and such, but nothing seems to work. I'm pretty tired of messing with it, and would prefer to buy new components and start anew. And, yea, I was going to stick with AGP because that's what my vid card is. I'm not wanting anything to fancy, just something I can actually play something with (I'm used to turning graphics settings down). I was hoping for something in the $200-$300 range.

Anyway, thanks for the help, guys, I really appreciate it

(and, yeah, cool smileys )

Old 02-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #31
Fozzik

Well, here's some components...I looked at this from the standpoint of cheap, decent performance for a basic box, and compatibility with Linux.

Motherboard -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130521

CPU -
More performance: Athlon 64 venice
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103606
Cheaper: Sempron
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819104241

Memory-
1GB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145505
512MB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145026

The Athlon 64, motherboard, and 1GB of RAM comes to $251.71

With this system, and the video card you already have, you are going to have to turn the settings way down. It should work though, at least on slightly older games, until you make a big upgrade. This system would be great for office apps / web surfing, or whatever else you feel like once you get a new gaming rig.

Last edited by Fozzik : 02-05-2006 at 08:18 PM.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #32
JAdams

Thanks, I think I'll go with those. I might try that hybrid mobo that Rabb1t linked to, in case I wanted to upgrade the Linux box...

Old 02-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #33
rabb1t

Can't. It's a 939 MB and those cores are 754.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #34
JAdams

D'oh, good point...

Old 02-06-2006, 01:16 AM   #35
rabb1t

I still say if you are building new to go with 939 and PCIe. Even if you went as low as this $75 7300 GS it would beat the poo out of older cards like series 4 and 5 stuff, possibly even beat some of the lower series 6.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:41 AM   #36
tennex
Hardware guru

Default hold up..

Before you whip out the plastic what is your current power supply? Judging by your old system specs, it sounds like you have an old HP (or whoever) machine that you put a video card in. My friend has one very simuliar and it has the most hideous 180 watt power supply unit, which could be the source of your reboots if you have the same thing. Also, have you looked in the case while it's on to make sure all fans are still working and it isn't just over heating. I had simuliar experiences trying to figure out what was wrong with his after we added some PC133 memory which ended up being mis-matched for the factory shipment of PC100. So, we had to remove his old 128MB chip out of 1 of his 3 slots and just go with the 2X256MB chips I gave to him. Going with the 64 choice that fozzik recommended this might yield the same problem and although I could be wrong, it seems to me that it is such a huge jump in spec you might be getting yourself into building a whole new computer. This is a trap I fell into with the P4 socket 478 series for a while. Everytime I upgraded something I needed to upgrade something else. Also, what size tower, his was very crunched for space and air flow. I am just assuming you have something simuliar and if not then feel free to disregard this post.

On another note, how many background type processes are you running. Cheap anti-virus software can cause crashes and if you have anything else that is sucking up system performance it could be the culprit as well. Plus the system specs you listed is very capable of running linux so unless you got money to throw around freely, then I would wait and just build the ultimate gaming system that you want and you may find that linux doesn't crash on the system, since you more than likely wont be gaming on it.
Send a message via Yahoo to tennex

Last edited by tennex : 02-06-2006 at 04:46 AM.

tennex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:24 AM   #37
Nubb

Server: Shidreth
Name: Nubblubbins

tennex brings up a good point -- the power supply question!
No offense, but your video sucks (MX! ick) and needs to go! :)
Fozzik has some great recommendations, but lacks a PSU and video upgrade.

So I poked around realizing that I'd want to upgrade video and the PSU as well as the core components. I peiced the following together, trying to stay low in price. Naturally it's just a suggestion. I skimped on the CPU some, and just 512mb of ram, but also tossed in a decent PSU and video and came out reasonably priced.

$323.27 (free shipping and there's a $10 rebate (expires on Feb 28th)) on the video card. So $313.27. You could save about $5 if you went with Kingston memory, but for $5 I'd go with the Corsair. Might find cheaper prices at NewEgg (some stuff in Fozzik's list is a bit cheaper, memory for example), but free shipping offsets that. Anywho I'm rambling, links:

mboard: MSI K8N Neo-V nForce3 250 Athlon 64 Skt754
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=241185

cpu: AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.8GHz Socket 754 64-Bit
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=80504

mem: Corsair VS512MB400 512MB DDR400 PC3200
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ctCode=80098-6

video: eVGA GeForce 6200 AGP 8X 256MB DDR
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=322725

psu: Thermaltake W0014 Silent PurePower 480W
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=370441

I think this would be a bit more game-able, although a gig of mem would be recommended (add about $40 to the price).

(more editing...)
Side note, I looked into a 939socket/7000series-video solution, but seems a bit pricy to me. $433.27 was the cheapest I could manage, using basically junk parts and a questionable power supply. Personally I'd spend $300, seeing what you have currently, just to be able to play games until the BIG upgrade. Then I'd go for a real gamer rig. The 939 parts (and the above parts) really aren't going to last long. The upgradability of the 939 is very limited, without a lot of investing. I don't even consider the above build as long-term, as you also seem to indicate, as it'll become a Linux box soon enough. The video/mem/mboard I selected for the 939 build just wouldn't cut it down the road when you're ready to really build something.
So anyway, personally I'd pass on spending more for what will become pretty useless in the near future.

If you really don't care about playing games, until your gaming rig build, I'd look at some of the other suggestions that have be posted (cooling issues/re-install the OS/new PSU/memory...).

Then I think to myself "MX" ick! I'd spend $300. :)

Thanks,
Nubb

Last edited by Nubb : 02-06-2006 at 07:00 AM.

Nubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:28 AM   #38
Fozzik

Good post, Tennex (and Nubb). With the new mobo/CPU/RAM, a new power supply would very likely be necessary.

If it isn't spyware/virus/software conflicts causing the problems, it might be good from a troubleshooting standpoint to get the new power supply first, just replace that and see if it clears up the problems.

Cooling is also a likely culprit...how long has it been since you blew the dust out of that thing?

Those components I recommended go against a couple of the rules I normally set for myself whenever I recommend components, namely upgradeability, and longevity. They are cheap, but there's no good upgrade path going forward, and they may not be able to handle newer OS and apps in the next couple years.

As I've said many times on these forums, saving up and doing a complete new computer build is almost always the better idea than upgrading just a few components, especially in an older system. However, if you don't care about upgrading, are sick of troubleshooting the problem, and just want something you can stick in a corner that will run...those components should work for you.

Last thing - tennex is also correct about the possibility that it's just hosed up Windows/software that are causing the problem. A reinstall (or an install of linux) might clear things up all on their own.

At any rate, basically just repeating what was already said.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #39
rabb1t

Sleepy day for me, so this is just a quick reply.

Again I'd recommend on any new build, if you are replacing the MB and/or GPU (esp when you do both) you are shooting yourself in the foot with AGP.

Although, it is rapidly becoming closer to the analogy of shooting your entire leg off as you can get more powerful and cheaper versions of the same GPUs on PCIe than you can with AGP.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #40
Breogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubb
I looked into a 939socket/7000series-video solution, but seems a bit pricy to me. $433.27 was the cheapest I could manage, using basically junk parts and a questionable power supply. Personally I'd spend $300, seeing what you have currently, just to be able to play games until the BIG upgrade. Then I'd go for a real gamer rig.

The motherboard might be a tad small and packed, since it's mini-ATX, but works fine and the onboard video performs much better than the GeForce MX or a Radeon 7000 card. It comes with a 16X PCI-Express slot if you want to plug a better videocard later.

The GSKill modules have pretty good timings and a lifetime warranty. It's a good brand which makes some great modules (Their 2Gb DDR500 kit with Samsung UCCC chips is really nice and relatively cheap).

The Fortron PSU has dual 12V rails (18/18A) which should be enough for any card you want to plug. Check this thread in ExtremeOverclocking for more info on PSU. They advise the 400W version for budget systems, and I like Fortron .

Last edited by Breogan : 02-06-2006 at 06:37 PM.

Breogan is offline   Reply With Quote